Another new marketing trend...

Dylanc431

So I was doing my thing searching for some graphics cards and stuff to see how the prices are when suddenly as if I was slapped in the face with a fish, I noticed this new marketing technique that shops and sellers are using to push out older Graphics Cards at a higher price... 

putting "apple compatible" in the title somehow makes a GTX 970 reference card worth €470? Or telling people that your EVGA card with a 30MHz core overclock suddenly makes it worth 255? 

At that price point you may as well buy a GTX 1060 6GB for literally 40 euro more... 

Graphics card pricing continues to baffle me.

waaaat.PNG

Someone should actually buy this card, stick it into a real apple, notice no improvement to both items, take a picture and call it BS.

This isn't new.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

Someone should actually buy this card, stick it into a real apple, notice no improvement to both items, take a picture and call it BS.

Just send a picture to the seller saying "you lied about it being apple compatible".

Just now, Enderman said:

This isn't new.

First time I've noticed it, any way for people to make a profit on their old cards I guess

And demand a full refund. (while the card got broken)

1 minute ago, huilun02 said:

But no Apple user is gonna buy it cuz they're too dumb to know how to swap the graphics card.

That.

*EDIT: considering how crappy apple is, it would scare me off. People would buy a pc over apple, due to hardware performance. (right?) So if something can work with apple, it must be crap. >>> that title scares me off.

Just now, huilun02 said:

? Just leave it?

Its not fooling anyone, maybe to take advantage of the fact that all cards of similar performance are either out of stock or overpriced.

But no Apple user is gonna buy it cuz they're too dumb to know how to swap the graphics card.

This is true, but you never know, I'm seeing that "apple compatible" shtick popping up more and more lately, it bust be working somehow...

After all, having "apple" in the title helps it in the search tags so apple people are more likely to blindly buy it 

5 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

That.

*EDIT: considering how crappy apple is, it would scare me off. People would buy a pc over apple, due to hardware performance. (right?) So if something can work with apple, it must be crap. >>> that title scares me off.

Again, true, but we're informed buyers, what about the person gaming on an iMac or a Mac Pro (WHY?? I DO NOT KNOW!). They're gonna see "apple compatible" and a nice high price tag and assume that it's the option for them without doing any research.

It's like what the iPhone has become, it's for the people who don't want to research their options or go with another option, in the words of Funhaus "the iPhone has just become "The Phone"".

1 minute ago, Dylanc431 said:

high price tag and assume that it's the option for them without doing any research.

Isn't that just "all apple users"? That company is built on "people" like that.

*the word "people" can be replaced by many other words, but that might get me loads of warnings and possibly a ban.

1 minute ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Isn't that just "all apple users"? That company is built on "people" like that.

*the word "people" can be replaced by many other words, but that might get me loads of warnings and possibly a ban.

Agreed... 

And after further inspection no model of Mac pro is actually compatible with a GTX card, it's all Firepro and Quadro. No mention of GTX at all

It may be a trend etc but if your looking for these things and in the know how you realise they are BS and just keep going along 

2 minutes ago, Dylanc431 said:

Agreed... 

And after further inspection no model of Mac pro is actually compatible with a GTX card, it's all Firepro and Quadro. No mention of GTX at all

Lots of gtx cards work, just look up the hardware compatability for hackintosh builds. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, DDR69 said:

It may be a trend etc but if your looking for these things and in the know how you realise they are BS and just keep going along 

Yeah, I just find it interesting to point it out, especially in a place like this where we can express some opinions about it. 

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Lots of gtx cards work, just look up the hardware compatability for hackintosh builds. 

But that card is advertised as "Mac Pro Compatible", Hackintosh compatibility will obviously be much wider, though this card is not marketed towards that crowd

Just now, Dylanc431 said:

Yeah, I just find it interesting to point it out, especially in a place like this where we can express some opinions about it. 

Yeah it's interesting, I didn't say it wasn't. 

Did a UK search and a msi one came up too ?

1 minute ago, Dylanc431 said:

But that card is advertised as "Mac Pro Compatible", Hackintosh compatibility will obviously be much wider, though this card is not marketed towards that crowd

It's the same OS. if it works on one it works on the other. The question is just if it fits lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 minutes ago, GamingMemeKing said:

Just out of interest, how do Apple Macs work?

Can you even game on AAA+ titles? What GPU do they use?

The game needs to be specifically optimized for MacOS and most of the time the hardware in a Mac isn't good enough for gaming, and the expensive ones are workstations, so in theory they could handle gaming, they're not optimized for it.

The GPU each mac uses varies depending on the model you get, for example as far as I'm aware the GPU in a new Macbook Pro is equivalent or maybe a bit less powerful than an RX460, while in the Mac Pro you can go all the way up to AMD FirePro GPUs (AMD's version of Quadro).

2 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

I believe there actually is some reason behind the "mac compatible" thing. You can't just plop in any GPU into a mac it actually will not work. This is because the graphics card expect to interact with either a bios or UEFI PC firmware on startup to negotiate IRQ and bandwidth and since a mac uses proprietary boot firmware it will not work. These cards usually need to have a custom firmware designed specifically to work in macs and flashed to the cards firmware to work in macs. 

Of course I do not work with macs so what do I know?

This.

Mac's don't use the standard UEFI so a "Mac" GPU has a different BIOS that allows the boot-screen to appear. If you run a non Mac 970 on a Mac Pro, then it will work with the Nvidia drivers but you will not see boot screen. 

Now is this GPU in the link a real Mac compatible GPU or is it false advertising? Idk. But OP you should do your research before jumping to conclusions. Right now you didn't verify what a Mac compatible GPU is. In the future it might be a costly mistake. 

Just now, bomerr said:

This.

Mac's don't use the standard UEFI so a "Mac" GPU has a different BIOS that allows the boot-screen to appear. If you run a non Mac 970 on a Mac Pro, then it will work with the Nvidia drivers but you will not see boot screen. 

Now is this GPU in the link a real Mac compatible GPU or is it false advertising? Idk. But OP you should do your research before jumping to conclusions. Right now you didn't verify what a Mac compatible GPU is. In the future it might be a costly mistake. 

I looked on Apple's own support page and not even they list the GTX 970 as a compatible card for any of their Mac Pro machines (The exact machine that this card is being advertised for. What more can I do? 

10 minutes ago, Dylanc431 said:

The game needs to be specifically optimized for MacOS and most of the time the hardware in a Mac isn't good enough for gaming. 

Mac's use OpenGL to game. The problem with Macs and lower performance while gaming is that OpenGL is noticeably inferior to DirectX. Go run Valley benchmark and compare your results between OpenGL and DirectX to see the difference between a Mac and PC. 

Just now, bomerr said:

Mac's use OpenGL to game. The problem with Macs and lower performance while gaming is that OpenGL is noticeably inferior to DirectX. Go run Valley benchmark and compare your results between OpenGL and DirectX to see the difference between a Mac and PC. 

The reason they use OpenGL is because they mostly use AMD GPUs (which are generally more optimised for OpenGL workloads and more recently Vulcan.)

I looked on Apple's own support page and not even they list the GTX 970 as a compatible card for any of their Mac Pro machines (The exact machine that this card is being advertised for. What more can I do? 

Do more through research. 

http://www.macworld.com/article/3189405/macs/nvidia-releases-mac-driver-with-support-for-titan-xp-and-geforce-gtx-1000-series.html

The reason they use OpenGL is because they mostly use AMD GPUs (which are generally more optimised for OpenGL workloads and more recently Vulcan.)

Bro you really need to stop making assumptions and do your research. Macs use OpenGL because MS owns DirectX.