Building a PC for a friend

RightSide

So i am currently fiding parts - and just searching for some budget options.

At the moment the budget is saying 7000 danish crowns ~ 900 €.

Since i don't know much about Ryzen i want to hear your opinions. 

Should i get him a I5-7500 or Ryzen 1600?

And also - if i get the Ryzen cpu, what case+mobo combo are you thinking? 

And since i don't feel like he wants AMD gpus, i will throw in a 1060 or look for some deals and get 1070..

If you got better ideas. I would be more than happy to hear.

Purpose of build? Gaming at 1080p? R5 would be better, would also get an RX 580 if you can find one, otherwise a 1060 would be fine. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

Just now, rn8686 said:

Purpose of build? Gaming at 1080p? R5 would be better, would also get an RX 580 if you can find one, otherwise a 1060 would be fine. 

Yes.  Just 1080p.

Is 580 better than the 1060? Just curious. 

Just now, RightSide said:

Yes.  Just 1080p.

Is 580 better than the 1060? Just curious. 

Depends on the game, they trade blows mostly. Its more just better for Vulcan and DX 12 in games though, hopefully more games will utilise them better in the future. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

Peripherals 

Just now, rn8686 said:

Depends on the game, they trade blows mostly. Its more just better for Vulcan and DX 12 in games though, hopefully more games will utilise them better in the future. 

So i currently got these components in the build - 

http://prntscr.com/fvlgjn

This would be around the ~950€ or something like this, Since the prices are stupidly high in Denmark.

Could get the i5 and save 20€. 

If i buy the RX580 it costs way more.

I am also thinking to get a 3GB version of 1060 to get an SSD aswell.

The R5 1600 is a better all round CPU and is the better choice. Both platforms would be very similarly priced including the motherboard ($20 Delta), however the R5 offers 2 more physical cores along with multi threading making it superior in many everyday tasks. Also the Ryzen Chip can be overclocked getting even more performance for better gaming performance!

This MSI motherboard is very good for the R5- it's well priced, with quality construction and features, and also has many good reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XS4FVRN/?tag=pcpapi-20

2 minutes ago, RightSide said:

So i currently got these components in the build - 

http://prntscr.com/fvlgjn

This would be around the ~950€ or something like this, Since the prices are stupidly high in Denmark.

Could get the i5 and save 20€. 

If i buy the RX580 it costs way more.

Dont get an i5, get a 1400 if you must to save (I5 is basically obsolete if buying new over an R5). 3GB isnt enough VRAM today even for 1080p, many games need more for high-ultra settings already (This will only get worse)

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

Peripherals 

I parted this out: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2CkB3F, comes in at about 830 Euros, although the availability in Denmark ain't guaranteed and neither are the prices.

I managed to get a white colour scheme and some pretty nice parts in, hopefully it helps guide you to end up with a sick PC!!

3 minutes ago, TSL said:

I parted this out: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2CkB3F, comes in at about 830 Euros, although the availability in Denmark ain't guaranteed and neither are the prices.

I managed to get a white colour scheme and some pretty nice parts in, hopefully it helps guide you to end up with a sick PC!!

Well yeah - thats kinda the same i got.. 

Just other mobo type etc. 

But either i pay much for shipping - or i pay more at the shop.

27 minutes ago, TSL said:

however the R5 offers 2 more physical cores along with multi threading making it superior in games

those specs are not as valuable in gaming workloads compared to the IPC and frequency advantages the 7500 has. I agree he should go R5 1600 anyway, but your reasoning is dead wrong. 1080p gaming is the only advantage Intel has right now lol. If he overclocks his R5 1600 much of the single core advantage the 7500 has wiill evaporate, closing the gap even more. None of that is why I suggest the R5 anyway... The R5 is undeniably better in everything but gaming, and in gaming his will be limited by his choice of GPU, so his choice of wanting a gaming oriented CPU is irrelevant.

@RightSide if you choose to get Ryzen, get some 3000 or 3200MHz memory as this will also highly benefit Ryzens unique architecture and boost CPU performance considerably.... its also not a lot more money to invest in faster RAM, usually just a couple USD (local prices may vary)

30 minutes ago, RightSide said:

That wouldn't be... HORRIBLE.... but you really should avoid doing that. 3GB VRAM can still be very limiting in many AAA titles at 1080p, and the 3GB version of the 1060 comes with fewer CUDA cores than the 1060 6GB, resulting in roughly 7-10% less performance overall. low and mid-range GPU costs are heavily inflated right now as a result of all the etherium mining going on. Check pricing on GTX 1070's and 1080's, see how much more those do or do not cost. It may be worth looking up the tier list rather than down. I know not what your local pricing is though. you may also wish considering looking at the used market for a GPU. getting a 900 series Nvidia GPU like a 980 or 980ti would serve you very well and likely be a great deal less expensive than buying a similarly performing 1060 (~980 level performance) or 1070 (~980ti performance).

And yes. Get a SSD if you can at all afford it. even if that means putting off a HDD for a while. massive quality of life improvement if you're using windows 10.

2 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

those specs are not as valuable in gaming workloads compared to the IPC and frequency advantages the 7500 has. I agree he should go R5 1600 anyway, but your reasoning is dead wrong. 1080p gaming is the only advantage Intel has right now lol. If he overclocks his R5 1600 much of the single core advantage the 7500 has wiill evaporate, closing the gap even more.

I agree, didn't actually mean to put gaming there, should have been; everything else aside from gaming. Also as you stated the IPC advantage can be chipped away through overclocking the R5. As games become Ryzen optimised, and as new titles arrive, there should be a lot more use out of multi cored and threaded CPU's in gaming. Finally the day and age of 4 core dominance will start to fade a little. THANK GOD FOR RYZEN!

11 minutes ago, TSL said:

Also as you stated the IPC advantage can be chipped away through overclocking the R5

the gap will close, but i5 will still be ahead unless you can get a pretty darn high OC on your 1600, which will likely  require upgrading off the stock cooler, which then brings cost back into concern.

11 minutes ago, TSL said:

As games become Ryzen optimised, and as new titles arrive, there should be a lot more use out of multi cored and threaded CPU's in gaming. Finally the day and age of 4 core dominance will start to fade a little

Sure.... but we're a few years out from that still. more and more games over time will trend that way, and Ryzen will be what is taking us there (since now there is a reason for developers to do it), but that's still pretty far off as far as computer hardware lifespans are concerned....

But like I said, this user SHOULD be buying Ryzen, not an i5. The only sensible time to buy Intel right now (even in strictly gaming workloads) is for people going after the unlocked Intel CPU's like the 7700k and ONLY if they have the budget to also pair it with no less than a GTX 1080 (preferably 1080ti or some SLI config) and only on a 1080p high refresh rate monitor.