USB Type-C might make it to the Surface

Having used the Surface Pro 2 for almost 4 years, and also being in full agreement with Linus's opinion that the I/O on the newest hardware offerings from Microsoft were lacking in this department, this is an exciting possibility.

According to the article listed below, Microsoft has filed patents that make it seem that 

...the software giant appears to be preparing a USB-C Surface connector for its future laptops and tablets.

While the actual speeds remain in question, I am excited that I could travel without the proprietary brick, and simply bring a USB battery bank, and charge the surface with the same type-c cable that I charge my phone with.

Also, the possibility Thunderbolt could also mean expansion with external graphics card enclosures in the future, as well as faster file transfer speeds for creative professionals who often need to transfer large files to and from external devices.

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this!

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/13/15963728/microsoft-surface-usb-c-connector-patent

Might be too little too late if they wait even longer. They should have added it to the current gen Surface, but they didn't, even though all the other market leaders have. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

before we live in a world where you can charge your laptop with a portable battery bank, you are going to need to discover and make safe a new battery technology that has much larger capacity.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

It will Type-C but only be USB 2.0 (based on current information)

We can see this is a rushed solution, minimum R&D to make this plug after all the complaints. And of course it won't be a 5$ cable.

You better off getting a hub or an adapter.

15 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Might be too little too late if they wait even longer. They should have added it to the current gen Surface, but they didn't, even though all the other market leaders have. 

I know it's already too late for a lot of people.  They need a good implementation of Type-C, not just a rush or halfway job, as @GoodBytes correctly stated that this appears of appears to be.

If there isn't a Surface model with full Type-C capability by the time my SP2 finishes dying, I'm going to try something else for an ultra portable solution.

15 minutes ago, themctipers said:

before we live in a world where you can charge your laptop with a portable battery bank, you are going to need to discover and make safe a new battery technology that has much larger capacity.

This is true, although I know Anker makes some 26000 mAh models, and there are others out there.  Might not get you more than one charge.  But that's better than nothing, especially for those who travel frequently.

i dont like type C, I dont need a new port to charge my devices, if you need them for better transfer speed or whatever type c does that the others dont great, but dont take every new device and use type C, i just got used to everything going to the same micro USB from having the circular and bigger USB type plugs, and other odd ones.

this just makes it harder, i have like 80 android cables and soon well have to go and get a ton of type c ones 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

48 minutes ago, kingfurykiller said:

I know it's already too late for a lot of people.  They need a good implementation of Type-C, not just a rush or halfway job, as @GoodBytes correctly stated that this appears of appears to be.

If there isn't a Surface model with full Type-C capability by the time my SP2 finishes dying, I'm going to try something else for an ultra portable solution.

I am sure the next Surface Pro would be far more interesting than this one. This latest SP, is really Surface Pro 4.5. This is probably because most of the Surface team R&D went to the Xbox One X, and Surface Laptop.  Fun fact: The Xbox One S was also made by the Surface team. The original Xbox One model was made by the Xbox team, and contained their signature "lets throw in hardware inside" circuitry design that we can see from the Xbox 360 and original Xbox, hence their huge size, big external PSU, and so on.

12 minutes ago, HunterSkater429 said:

i dont like type C, I dont need a new port to charge my devices, if you need them for better transfer speed or whatever type c does that the others dont great, but dont take every new device and use type C, i just got used to everything going to the same micro USB from having the circular and bigger USB type plugs, and other odd ones.

this just makes it harder, i have like 80 android cables and soon well have to go and get a ton of type c ones 

Type-C is better in every way. Micro-USB was designed for digital camera and MP3 players much like Mini-USB. It was never designed for smartphones. Type-C was, and for desktop and laptops. You can step on one connected to a device, and the plug will break not the port of the device (assuming the build quality is good by the device manufacture). It charges faster your device, and easier to plug, while holds well.

The mistake was micro-USB, and that needs to be corrected.

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Type-C is better in every way. Micro-USB was designed for digital camera and MP3 players much like Mini-USB. It was never designed for smartphones. Type-C was, and for desktop and laptops. You can step on one connected to a device, and the plug will break not the port of the device (assuming the build quality is good by the device manufacture). It charges faster your device, and easier to plug, while holds well.

The mistake was micro-USB, and that needs to be corrected.

ill test that stepping on the cord thing i have a phone with type C that i dont use. and whats annoying is they dont have a set thing, one manufacturer will use micro usb one will use type c then you need all these cords have to carry a few different kinds around, for disorganized people like me its such a hassle. a huge turn off for me is anything that doesn't use micro usb to charge becase everything does even my $2 drone charnes its battery packs via micro usb.

i really dont think my phones need to charge faster, all my chargers are usb 3.0 and fast charge made by  ANKER  and my wireless chargers even charge my phone fast enough.

i dont see the big deal about it. its like a HDD at 52000 rpm vs one at 72000. it technically makes a difference but not big enough for me to care.

once we get a charger that charges a 1000mAH bat in 5 min ill switch to it.

im more into convenience when it comes to this, if it charges my phone and transfers data i dont need to change it no need

12 minutes ago, HunterSkater429 said:

ill test that stepping on the cord thing i have a phone with type C that i dont use.

Already done. Accident. Don't ask :)

and whats annoying is they dont have a set thing, one manufacturer will use micro usb one will use type c then you need all these cords have to carry a few different kinds around, for disorganized people like me its such a hassle. a huge turn off for me is anything that doesn't use micro usb to charge becase everything does even my $2 drone charnes its battery packs via micro usb.

Soon they'll be all on USB Type-C. And in the mean time "all these cables" is really 2. And why would you carry 2 phones?

i really dont think my phones need to charge faster, all my chargers are usb 3.0 and fast charge made by  ANKER  and my wireless chargers even charge my phone fast enough.

They said the same thing with CPU speed, and RAM quantity. And "experts" said the same when dual core CPUs came out, including how "useless" they were.

i dont see the big deal about it. its like a HDD at 52000 rpm vs one at 72000. it technically makes a difference but not big enough for me to care.

The difference is HUGE in performance. Maybe if you compare a top of teh line 5400RPM with a garbage bin 7200RPM one, or you plug either on USB 2,0 'causing a bottleneck or something...

im more into convenience when it comes to this, if it charges my phone and transfers data i dont need to change it no need

So then don't change your phone. You don't have to buy the latest and greatest phones.

What I do find funny, is that Microsoft was first to introduce USB Type-C backed with USB 3.0 with the Lumia 950/950 XL phone. Yet, with Surface they not, and looks like will be last to the party (I mean with no adapter), in the premium mobile system space.

58 minutes ago, HunterSkater429 said:

On one hand yes, yet another standard to "unify" everything doesn't really help:

standards.png

On the other hand, you don't need a bunch of new cables. I got my first Type C device and all I did was buy a few Micro B to Type C adapters. They all work and my device is happy.

I seem to recall Microsoft saying they considered USB-C for their recent devices but they claimed there was issues with the implementation like power draw. Seems ridiculous though.

45 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Already done. Accident. Don't ask :)

Soon they'll be all on USB Type-C. And in the mean time "all these cables" is really 2. And why would you carry 2 phones?

They said the same thing with CPU speed, and RAM quantity. And "experts" said the same when dual core CPUs came out, including how "useless" they were.

The difference is HUGE in performance. Maybe if you compare a top of teh line 5400RPM with a garbage bin 7200RPM one, or you plug either on USB 2,0 'causing a bottleneck or something...

So then don't change your phone. You don't have to buy the latest and greatest phones.

in sequential my 5400 rpm green drive beats the shit out of my 7200rpm black drive, while the 5400 one has been gimped with USB 3 speeds

external 5tb vs internal 1tb, 150MB vs 80MB.. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I guess some more nitpicking:

1 hour ago, HunterSkater429 said:

ill test that stepping on the cord thing i have a phone with type C that i dont use. and whats annoying is they dont have a set thing, one manufacturer will use micro usb one will use type c then you need all these cords have to carry a few different kinds around, for disorganized people like me its such a hassle. a huge turn off for me is anything that doesn't use micro usb to charge becase everything does even my $2 drone charnes its battery packs via micro usb.

You don't need new cables. You can get a converter. This is how they solved the problem when keyboard and mice were going from PS/2 to USB. Converters are usually cheaper than the cables. If you're worried about losing converters... well, then I'm surprised you're not missing cables.

Yeah, but that's you. If Average Joe wants faster charging, that's where the industry will go.

See above.

once we get a charger that charges a 1000mAH bat in 5 min ill switch to it.

That's actually a bad idea. Physics dictates you shouldn't charge a battery too fast, lest you want to get really hot and explode.

And to some people, speed is convenience.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

1, Already done. Accident. Don't ask :)

2, Soon they'll be all on USB Type-C. And in the mean time "all these cables" is really 2. And why would you carry 2 phones?

3, They said the same thing with CPU speed, and RAM quantity. And "experts" said the same when dual core CPUs came out, including how "useless" they were.

4, The difference is HUGE in performance. Maybe if you compare a top of teh line 5400RPM with a garbage bin 7200RPM one, or you plug either on USB 2,0 'causing a bottleneck or something...

5, So then don't change your phone. You don't have to buy the latest and greatest phones.

sorry im too lazy to make individual quotes right now so i numbered them.

1, im still going to, as soon as i find my type c cable. the phone is old (to me, its really like 2 months old)

and well there are reason to carry two phones that I do not need to disclose online,  

2, well yes, as soon absolutely everything is type C ill switch to it, that will be the only time. 

3, well if its in a non consumer stand point thats fine, like if companies see the speed diffrence and could profit from using it in that way, but in charging, which is really what im talking about. is it really fast enough to matter? like does it charge so much faster that its a BIG reason to buy a phone with type C over micro USB.

4, ^^

5, i just did upgrade my phone. thats why i bought it up as that made me not pick a phone. i also just re did my desk set up. i have two charging stations and that required me to buy 20 new micro USB cables. becase everything i use needs them to charge. from my phone to my vive. i only get a new phone when my old one is broken to the point of no use. 

3 hours ago, themctipers said:

https://www.amazon.com/Omnicharge-Portable-Wireless-Charging-Fast-Charging/dp/B01NBJX99D/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&qid=1490482542&sr=8-1&keywords=omni+charge&linkCode=sl1&tag=socialtech109-20&linkId=dc0e43615e8dbcc9b72ef4ece32ecc6f

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I guess some more nitpicking:

You don't need new cables. You can get a converter. This is how they solved the problem when keyboard and mice were going from PS/2 to USB. Converters are usually cheaper than the cables. If you're worried about losing converters... well, then I'm surprised you're not missing cables.

Yeah, but that's you. If Average Joe wants faster charging, that's where the industry will go.

See above.

That's actually a bad idea. Physics dictates you shouldn't charge a battery too fast, lest you want to get really hot and explode.

And to some people, speed is convenience.

i dont know if this is just me or an actual thing but when I do use any fast charging technology my phone seems to die faster than when I use my non fast charging set up, again could be placebo so thats why i never bought it up.

and yes thats why I said when they can make one that does that. if they can you'd assume they have some new power source or created a battery that can withstand it. 

in space they have found a lot of stuff that shouldn't exist based on what we currently know but it does. so who knows what technology advanced we will see in the future. 

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I got my first Type C device and all I did was buy a few Micro B to Type C adapters. They all work and my device is happy.

Both my S8's came with C to Micro-B adapters. They both also came with C to A adapters, so squee or what ever geeky noise of joy you want.

My 950 XL instead came with a A to C cable and a dedicated charger, so that wasn't an issue either.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Oh hey, posting a few days later...

On 7/13/2017 at 3:39 PM, HunterSkater429 said:

i dont know if this is just me or an actual thing but when I do use any fast charging technology my phone seems to die faster than when I use my non fast charging set up, again could be placebo so thats why i never bought it up.

It's an actual thing. Fast charging involves throwing more current into the battery, which can cause the battery to warm up to a higher temperature. Higher temperatures deteriorate batteries faster.

On 7/13/2017 at 3:39 PM, HunterSkater429 said:

and yes thats why I said when they can make one that does that. if they can you'd assume they have some new power source or created a battery that can withstand it. 

in space they have found a lot of stuff that shouldn't exist based on what we currently know but it does. so who knows what technology advanced we will see in the future. 

However this would require the energy storage material to be a high temperature superconductor, which is something we've yet to create on a consumer level. And sure, a material could exist out there, but that doesn't mean it's easy to obtain.

On 7/14/2017 at 7:31 AM, themctipers said:

in sequential my 5400 rpm green drive beats the shit out of my 7200rpm black drive, while the 5400 one has been gimped with USB 3 speeds

external 5tb vs internal 1tb, 150MB vs 80MB.. 

That's where I recommend doing a complete reformat of the Black, because my Blue was getting similar speeds and getting flogged by my older 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (120MB/sec vs 100MB/sec instead of the original 180MB/sec) until I reformatted it, which will take you a while.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

12 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

That's where I recommend doing a complete reformat of the Black, because my Blue was getting similar speeds and getting flogged by my older 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (120MB/sec vs 100MB/sec instead of the original 180MB/sec) until I reformatted it, which will take you a while.

bad sectors, slow spinup times, excessive clicking at too damn loud of a volume, bad health sign on crystal disk info

it only hosts my games.. lets hope it doesnt die yet because thats 200gb of downloading.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

29 minutes ago, themctipers said:

bad sectors, slow spinup times, excessive clicking at too damn loud of a volume, bad health sign on crystal disk info

it only hosts my games.. lets hope it doesnt die yet because thats 200gb of downloading.

Oh....so its been thrashed then. Sounds like its gone the way of my Maxtor 640DX 60GB then. Its showing caution in CDI and runs 20MB/sec slower than the 20GB version. Its also a bit louder and a lot hotter.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL