Microphone and headphone questions

UnknownUser
Go to solution Solved by doits,

You can go with either scarlett interface and at2020 xlr will be a great setup. Pick either of the headphones and just try it out. If it doesn't get loud enough for you then add a cheap fiio amp. If you use the headphone amp you will plug headphone into amp and use 1/4 to whatever input on amp. This will amplify the signal and allow you to still monitor mic. 

Or you can go the usb mic option, and use the saved money toward a nicer pair of headphones or earpads or audio foam or whatever. I personally use the at2005 with usb/xlr output and you can add an interface later if you feel the need. 

edit:painting is fine see this video. 

(In advance I'm sorry if these are stupid questions I'm new to this stuff) 

I am planning on buying DT 990s or Fidelio x2s with an AT2020 xlr microphone. Since I'm buying the AT2020 I will need an audio interface or mixer. I was looking at the focusrite solo gen 2. Should I get that or a mixer? I will be using the mic for gaming and making YouTube videos. Should I plug my 990s/x2s into the interface or use my onboard sound? (I have good onboard sound)

Some people say that headphones distort when you turn up the volume to a certain point on the interface with headphones plugged in. So if I don't plug my headphones into the interface I won't hear myself and know if I'm too loud? Also since I'll be using open back headphones will the microphone pick up the sound leakage?

Thanks for replying in advance!

How loud is your environment(like a/c, fan, pets etc)? The focusrite solo had a reallly nice interface to notice peaking and just feels quality. Do you plan to expand with more microphones or instruments later on? If not the solo is better quality than most mixers at this price range. Plug your headphones into the interface when recording audio for monitoring, it should be fine to power those headphones and for a main dac. 

note: it will pick up ambient a/c, fans, pets etc  but it shouldn't pick up from your headphones unless you are blasting them. Also I've only used gen 1, but there seem to be just minor updates so it should hold true.

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

7 hours ago, doits said:

How loud is your environment(like a/c, fan, pets etc)? The focusrite solo had a reallly nice interface to notice peaking and just feels quality. Do you plan to expand with more microphones or instruments later on? If not the solo is better quality than most mixers at this price range. Plug your headphones into the interface when recording audio for monitoring, it should be fine to power those headphones and for a main dac. 

note: it will pick up ambient a/c, fans, pets etc  but it shouldn't pick up from your headphones unless you are blasting them. Also I've only used gen 1, but there seem to be just minor updates so it should hold true.

The only thing that's loud for me is the train that goes by on occasion. I will eventually get a higher quality microphone  and headphones when I need to. So should I get something else? Also if I get the dt990s they will be harder to drive than the x2s. Gen 2 (I'm 99% sure) is just aesthetic updates. What would you do if you were me?

4 hours ago, UnknownUser said:

The only thing that's loud for me is the train that goes by on occasion. I will eventually get a higher quality microphone  and headphones when I need to. So should I get something else? Also if I get the dt990s they will be harder to drive than the x2s. Gen 2 (I'm 99% sure) is just aesthetic updates. What would you do if you were me?

from amazon, stating the difference:

Spoiler

"The new generation has better preamps and converters and a higher build quality. Depending on your computer's speed, you can even track with plug-ins using the new control panel with lower latency. The new ones also come with Ableton Live Lite and Pro Tools|First with Rewire capability to transfer the MIDI from Ableton to Pro Tools. They also come with The Softube Time & Tone Bundle, Scarlett Plug-in Suite, Red 2 & 3 EQ and Compressor and 11 stomp box effects.
Because they are the same price, you are getting a much better deal with these new ones.?"

If you don't plan to expand and need more xlr mics or instruments the scarlett solo gen 2 should be more than enough. Choice of headphones is a personal taste choice, I prefer the fidelio x2 due to less high end and more enjoyable  for electronic music, imo.  Are you just using this mic setup for voiceover and streaming? If so you might be better off with a dynamic usb mic or a usb mic like blue yeti or snowball etc and save your mulah. Or if you do youtube videos and need to capture audio when shooting video a shotgun mic or rode may be better. 

The mic and headphone will last you a long time and the quality is more than good enough for youtube/gaming. 

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

8 hours ago, doits said:

from amazon, stating the difference:

Reveal hidden contents

"The new generation has better preamps and converters and a higher build quality. Depending on your computer's speed, you can even track with plug-ins using the new control panel with lower latency. The new ones also come with Ableton Live Lite and Pro Tools|First with Rewire capability to transfer the MIDI from Ableton to Pro Tools. They also come with The Softube Time & Tone Bundle, Scarlett Plug-in Suite, Red 2 & 3 EQ and Compressor and 11 stomp box effects.
Because they are the same price, you are getting a much better deal with these new ones.?"

If you don't plan to expand and need more xlr mics or instruments the scarlett solo gen 2 should be more than enough. Choice of headphones is a personal taste choice, I prefer the fidelio x2 due to less high end and more enjoyable  for electronic music, imo.  Are you just using this mic setup for voiceover and streaming? If so you might be better off with a dynamic usb mic or a usb mic like blue yeti or snowball etc and save your mulah. Or if you do youtube videos and need to capture audio when shooting video a shotgun mic or rode may be better. 

The mic and headphone will last you a long time and the quality is more than good enough for youtube/gaming. 

I have two choices and btw I'll be doing gaming videos so I don't want a shotgun mic. Also I won't only get one pair of headphones I'll get multiple for different things like for music, competitive gaming, immersive gaming, etc. That also means some will be harder to drive and need a normal amp.

-Headphones 

-AT2020 xlr

-Focusrite 2i2 or solo

-Headphone amp

-Headphones 

-AT2020 USB/USB+

-Headphone amp

So if I get a headphone amp I can't plug the headphones into the audio interface right? Is there a downside to that? Also I have a mostly white setup so is it a good idea to paint the audio interface since it's red?

You can go with either scarlett interface and at2020 xlr will be a great setup. Pick either of the headphones and just try it out. If it doesn't get loud enough for you then add a cheap fiio amp. If you use the headphone amp you will plug headphone into amp and use 1/4 to whatever input on amp. This will amplify the signal and allow you to still monitor mic. 

Or you can go the usb mic option, and use the saved money toward a nicer pair of headphones or earpads or audio foam or whatever. I personally use the at2005 with usb/xlr output and you can add an interface later if you feel the need. 

Edited by doits

11 hours ago, doits said:

Ok thanks! This is what I'll do:

Headphones 

AT2020 xlr

2i2/solo

Amp if needed

If the mic picks up the sound from the open back headphones I'll return the AT2020 and get the AT2005.