Has LTT made a comparison of different ways to apply thermal compound?

Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,

YEs.

Back in the day I remember that somewhere it was recommended to cover the whole IHS with a thin layer of thermal compound by spreading it with a credit card or similar. But now it seems that the trend is to put a drop of a size of a pea in the center and let the heat sink do the spreading.

Has LTT made a comparison of different ways, full covered thin layer, cross pattern, pea size and so on. How does this affect temperatures?

If this has not been done, maybe there is an idea for a video. If it has been done, please link me to one.

Not that I am in need of this at the moment but for future reference.

Thanks.

YEs.

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

An X is the best application method according to the legendary 80-way thermal compound test.  http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=150&Itemid=62

TLDR: none of it really matters by more than a few degrees C.  Having high mounting pressure for the thinnest bond line is the most important.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

30 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

YEs.

Thank you, I knew that there had to be one.

31 minutes ago, Daemonius said:

Back in the day I remember that somewhere it was recommended to cover the whole IHS with a thin layer of thermal compound by spreading it with a credit card or similar. But now it seems that the trend is to put a drop of a size of a pea in the center and let the heat sink do the spreading.

Has LTT made a comparison of different ways, full covered thin layer, cross pattern, pea size and so on. How does this affect temperatures?

If this has not been done, maybe there is an idea for a video. If it has been done, please link me to one.

Not that I am in need of this at the moment but for future reference.

Thanks.

As the video that @legacy99 linked shows, application method doesn't matter very much. Also having too much on it is also very hard to do because attaching the heat sink/ water block will squeeze the excess out unless you have a cheap one that doesn't apply much pressure. While the whole heat spreader comes into contact with the heatsink/ waterblock, most of the heat transfer takes place in the middle since the die is centered. As long as the center is covered sufficiently, you will have good heat transfer so applying a pea sized amount is the most efficient method because you don't waste any and don't have to worry about it overflowing and getting all over the place because while most of it is non conductive, it still is a pain to clean up.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

Nope, no one has ever tested that. What a great idea, we should ask Linus to do this.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

Spreading out a thin lawyer is the "best" approach because it ensures you covered the entire CPU. Anything else is "cutting corners." With that said on smaller CPU dies like Skylake/Kaby Lake you can probably get away with only a pea sized deb in the middle. But with larger CPUs like Skylake-X then you'll want to apply at least a line. A pea dot can sometimes not spread out evenly over such a large CPU.