Is it possible to upgrade my graphics card on my lenovo y50/70 Laptop?

CooperMyers
Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,

It is not. Most laptops tend to use non-standard connectors for the sake of fitting everything into such a small space and more and more are starting to just solder everything in. 

In the case of the Y50/70, the GPU is soldered, so cannot be replaced. 

2 minutes ago, CooperMyers said:

What is an IGPU and a DGPU?  I have never heard of that

iGPU = Integrated GPU. It's the GPU that's in the CPU package. 

dGPU = Dedicated GPU. A purpose built GPU, typically more powerful than an iGPU

My laptop is approximately 4 years old.  The GPU is not cutting it for Player Unknown Battlegrounds.  First of all, is it possible to upgrade my laptop GPU?  Secondly, what GPU should I buy if I want to play on high settings with minimal frame lag.  

Current GPU: GeForce GTX 860M

also there is this thing called "Intel HD Graphics 4600"  Not sure if that is useful or not.  

Current CPU: Intel Core i7 - 4700HQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz

If you need me to check my motherboard, please tell me a way without opening up my PC B/C I don't have the proper screwdrivers RN

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now my question is: Is there any way to speed up my GPU without getting a new computer?  I am not familiar with overclocking.  Is there any risks to go along with that?

no 

1 minute ago, CooperMyers said:

also there is this thing called "Intel HD Graphics 4600" 

IGPU

Dgpu 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

no 

IGPU

Dgpu 

Edit: I looked it up.  Idk if IGPU is important or not, but there it is.  

It is not. Most laptops tend to use non-standard connectors for the sake of fitting everything into such a small space and more and more are starting to just solder everything in. 

2 minutes ago, CooperMyers said:

Intergrated GPU, Dedicated GPU

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

It is not. Most laptops tend to use either non-standard connectors for the sake of fitting everything into such a small space and more and more are starting to just solder everything in. 

Damn.  I was hoping for a $300 fix and be able to sell the old gpu for $50 to $100.  I rlly don't wanna buy a new computer ;-;

Just now, CooperMyers said:

Damn.  I was hoping for a $300 fix and be able to sell the old gpu for $50 to $100.  I rlly don't wanna buy a new computer ;-;

Unfortunately we're moving closer and closer to laptops that are just not upgradable at all. GPU and CPU upgrades have always been pretty rare with laptops due to the lack of standardised connectors and space saving, but we're seeing upgradable RAM and even storage becoming less common. Apple has started to solder in the storage on some laptops, despite M.2 being so low profile (though that's not all that surprising coming from Apple). 

There are some external GPU's for craptops. But not sure if they are compatible with your laptop/affordable enough.

And I know you don't want to buy a new computer. But if you really want to play that game at the framerates you want, you should. And get an actual computer, so you can upgrade it in the future. *down with the craptops* #desktopforlife and all that kind of stuff.

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

There are some external GPU's for craptops. But not sure if they are compatible with your laptop/affordable enough.

And I know you don't want to buy a new computer. But if you really want to play that game at the framerates you want, you should. And get an actual computer, so you can upgrade it in the future. *down with the craptops* #desktopforlife and all that kind of stuff.

I already looked at external gpu's but I looked at online reviews and people were giving them 1 stars ;-;

24 minutes ago, CooperMyers said:

My laptop is approximately 4 years old.  The GPU is not cutting it for Player Unknown Battlegrounds.  First of all, is it possible to upgrade my laptop GPU?  Secondly, what GPU should I buy if I want to play on high settings with minimal frame lag.  

also there is this thing called "Intel HD Graphics 4600"  Not sure if that is useful or not.  

Current CPU: Intel Core i7 - 4700HQ CPU @ 2.40 GHz

If you need me to check my motherboard, please tell me a way without opening up my PC B/C I don't have the proper screwdrivers RN

It is not possible to upgrade an internal GPU that is integrated.