Can my HDD be causing my pc to crash ?

NewBieDavid

I already posted about this in other sections , but I thought i post about the HDD itself.

So I have a problem with my pc since I bought it .
its a used pc with an fx 6300 and 8 gb of ram and I added a 1050 to it .
the hard drive that I bought was a used wd blue 7200 rpm .
the Pc keeps crashing in game only and  makes a loud buzzing sound in my headphones and I will have to restart it.
I did the common Cpu/ram/gpu stress tests but none of them crashed and temps were good.
So my HDD and psu are left to test, but I have no other Pc to test these parts on so I wanna ask .
my psu is an LC-power LC420-12V2.31 350w 80+ bronze but when the crash occur the pc doesn't shut down so I don't know .
And my hdd is always on 100% usage even tho I just installed windows on it and there is no backround programs other than steam .
would the HDD be causing these crashes or should I worry about buying a new Psu ?

Probably the HDD!

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

Have you tried a defrag, I feel old saying that XD. Use crystal disk info to make sure that the drive is in ok condition. also start making backups of it now, right now. If its on its way out it may not be long before it goes all together, but I am still using a HDD on its last legs but you can't be to carful. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

18 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

check the smart data of the drive.

just made a test for the hdd from the tools option and shows no errors

15 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Have you tried a defrag, I feel old saying that XD. Use crystal disk info to make sure that the drive is in ok condition. also start making backups of it now, right now. If its on its way out it may not be long before it goes all together, but I am still using a HDD on its last legs but you can't be to carful. 

so i should assume that the hdd has nothing to do with the crashing because when i go to properties and test the drive it says there is no errors showing.

I would think then its the psu not supplying enough wattage maybe?

1 minute ago, NewBieDavid said:

so i should assume that the hdd has nothing to do with the crashing because when i go to properties and test the drive it says there is no errors showing.

I would think then its the psu not supplying enough wattage maybe?

If its windows properties it won't tell you if the drive is on its way out, it will only tell you about broken or damaged files an bad sectors. I am not sure if you know about the S.M.A.R.T status, it tells you information like spin up times etc. Which is what crystal disk reads. Use https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator to find out the wattage of your rig, take the results with a pinch of salt though. 

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

I would save yourself some hassle later on by:

• Making a backup of all important data on your drive (maybe on a cloud storage service or an external HDD)
  • Replacing the HDD with an SSD or an SSD and a HDD if you need extra space. (Trust me, once you switch to an SSD, it's like the future)
  • Replacing the cheap power supply because if it blows, it will probably take the rest of the system with it. If you buy a good one (like 80+ gold), you can keep using it in your future computers for many years.

I edit my posts a lot.