HDD Manufacturers experiences (WD, Seagate)

Konrni

Hey,

some years ago (in "good" old ide time) i got a terrible experience with some seagate drives.

For the last years i never buyed on again.

Can i buy seagate again and feel safe, s.o. out there with only good experience?

To say is, after my switch too WD i never encountered any drive failing or losing data.

But this whole seagate promo on ltt makes me think "maybe seagate is better now"

so, pros cons?

Correct me if i'm wrong, learning is a lifelong mission

The only bad batch of Seagate drives in recent memory were their ST3000DM001s. However, I've had one and it hasn't really shown signs of degradation and recently I bought a Seagate Ironwolf and it's been fine.

But really, anyone will tell you all the hard drive companies suck.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

IMO best HDD brand is HGST

I think so too but hgst is the enterprise name of wd ;)

Just now, Konrni said:

I think so too but hgst is the enterprise name of wd ;)

I'm aware 

I've had a few different seagate drives, never had a problem with them

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

My 5 year old 500GB WD blue had no problems however my 2TB seagate started getting some errors in CrystalDiskMark after only a couple years.

I use a WD red now.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

I'm aware 

ok, then i will say it directly

my question wasn't for the best but can i trust seagate again.

not offensive, just clarifying

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

I've had a few different seagate drives, never had a problem with them

thanks

15 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The only bad batch of Seagate drives in recent memory were their ST3000DM001s.

I'm currently using one of those. (ST3000DM 001-1er166 SATA Disk Drive) Didn't have a single problem with it up to this point. I would buy one again.

Have had some BAD experiances with WD, with a 150 and 250gb drive. (if I remember drive size correctly) I won't buy from WD ever again, because actual chips on the PCB got burned/things poking out.

I've also used a 400 gb drive for about 6-7 years as my boot drive with games on it. 24/7 on, energy savings off and it wasn't allowed to "turn itself off". Finaly broke, but way beyond expected life. + managed to save most of the usefull crap I had on that drive, while it was failing big time.

Sooo... Seagate or samsung HDD's for me.

*PS: that ST3000DM 001 Seagate drive is being used for mass storage, where my downloads come in before sorting. Disabled energy savings >>> drive always on, 24/7. I don't turn off my pc, unless I need to clean it, so the drives are "always at +/- constant temps" and don't have to spin down/spin up. This drive is several years old by now, don't know how old exactly, but I would gues at least 3+ years. Local store wanted to sell me an WD drive, I had them order this seagate drive.

@M.Yurizaki Are they still building drives? I remember getting a HUGE drive a long time ago. 4.3 gb! Maxtor power! (got wrecked after +/- 1 year due to user error, including 52x cd-rom drive + 4x4x24 cd-writer... Which was rediculously expencive back then)

ok, now im sure, no need too be paranoid and buy without observe the brand name

29 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

But really, anyone will tell you all the hard drive companies suck.

hope i'm not anyone

3 minutes ago, Konrni said:

hope i'm not anyone

The qualifier was bad, but basically what I was trying to say is you'll find someone who says "WD sucks don't buy them", someone who says "Seagate sucks, don't buy them", someone who says "Hitachi sucks, don't buy them", etc.

It's like how you can find about the same number of people in both AMD and NVIDIA camps about how the other's drivers suck.

4 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

@M.Yurizaki Are they still building drives? I remember getting a HUGE drive a long time ago. 4.3 gb! Maxtor power! (got wrecked after +/- 1 year due to user error, including 52x cd-rom drive + 4x4x24 cd-writer... Which was rediculously expencive back then)

They aren't around, but I like using my anecdotal as counter-evidence.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The qualifier was bad, but basically what I was trying to say is you'll find someone who says "WD sucks don't buy them", someone who says "Seagate sucks, don't buy them", someone who says "Hitachi sucks, don't buy them", etc.

It's like how you can find about the same number of people in both AMD and NVIDIA camps about how the other's drivers suck.

yeah, was trying some joke like in these nobody movies,

Didn't work

Hi, we wanted to say thank you for considering Seagate drives, regardless of which drive you decide is right for you in the end. Our engineering team is constantly working to create the best drives on the market. Here is some information on questions about Seagate reliability. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

Any drive, regardless whether it's hard drive or ssd, is subject to random failures.  Hard Drives, being mechanical in natures, have a higher chance of random failures.  Again, this is regardless of whatever the brand is:  it's just the nature of the beast.  

A while back I got really curious about data recovery.  Started reading articles, listening to podcasts, and toying around with some old hard drives i had lying around. One of the podcasts I listened to was MyHardDriveDied by Scott Moulk.  On one of the podcasts, Scott mentioned that people always asked him "what is the best hard drive brand", and his answer was always "it depend when you're asking".  Sometimes one will come out with some cool idea that makes that generation really great, then cheap out the next year and the next one turns to crap.  Sometimes one starts out really crappy due to manufacturing yields, then work them out over time and end up making a really reliable drive, until they come out with another one that's not terrible, but no where near as good as the older line.  

Hell, the best answer might just be to get a Seagate and a WD drive and put them in Raid 1.  Hopefully they each have separate weaknesses from the other, so if one dies, it doesn't mean the other one is on it's last leg as well.