i7 4770k - Delided

So I finally did it today.

I delided my i7 4770k using the Der8aurer delid kit.

I used Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on the CPU die.

MX-4 on the cooler.

IMG_20170710_111151.thumb.jpg.0df703463c191a6676245d0d89383d6e.jpg

IMG_20170710_113733.thumb.jpg.1923689c3a3efedc3425de6cf8d5cda2.jpg

I used transparent nail polish to insulate the small SMT near the die (just in case, was probably not needed).

I measured the Before Delid temperatures in the morning, it was afternoon after I measured the After Delid temperatures so the room temperature was higher, by how much I don't know as I forgot to measure the room temperature but it was at least +3*C more.

BEFORE DELID

BeforeDelid.PNG.57134a622ec58db1e0a0e62ec19ef996.PNG

AFTER DELID

AfterDelid.PNG.d8c9c924e77bca294fc1f2420bbf4f8f.PNG

As you can see, the temperature went down by at least 20*C (probably more due to the higher room temperature).

Unfortunately, it looks like the 4.6GHz is really the wall. I was not sure before since I was hitting the temperature limit but I am unable to make 4.7GHz stable at 1.35V or 4.8GHz at 1.40V.

4.8GHz at 1.40V is quite stable in Aida64 but it crashed the moment I tried to run Cinebench R15.

I managed to get the readings from Aida64 at least. I will try to work on that 4.7GHz but that will be a big jump in voltage just to get it stable at 100MHz more.

596362ef42005_AfterDelidx48.PNG.867647472e34ef2a466d43769e5e9641.PNG

I am not sure what's up with one core being a lot cooler than the others. I thought that deliding will fix this but apparently not, hmm...

EDIT:

this is on air cooling

1 minute ago, MVPernula said:

Man that's an improvement..

Yeah, it's nice to go from almost 100*C down to mid 70*C :D

Nice work. And this, sadly, is why the 4770k was the red-headed stepchild. So silly. Even Ivy wasn't nearly this bad. Pretty sweet to see those temps though, regardless of the wall.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

1 minute ago, LooneyJuice said:

Nice work. And this, sadly, is why the 4770k was the red-headed stepchild. So silly. Even Ivy wasn't nearly this bad. Pretty sweet to see those temps though, regardless of the wall.

Despite this, my CPU was still able to do 1.31V before delid on air which is still quite good for the non-refresh Haswell.

Thats why I expected the temperatures just to even out for the most part, not to drop that much.

2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Despite this, my CPU was still able to do 1.31V before delid on air which is still quite good for the non-refresh Haswell.

Thats why I expected the temperatures just to even out for the most part, not to drop that much.

Oh it was a very capable CPU all along, only let down by Intel's experimentation. It's not necessarily just the fact that they moved away from solder. Non-soldered CPUs aren't the bane of the hardware world, it's the implementation. Der8auer himself said that sometimes they do it because certain compounds are more resistant to thermal cycling than solder, which may fracture. That's all well and good, but could Intel really not find a thermal compound that didn't suck a golf ball through a garden hose?

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

Just now, LooneyJuice said:

Oh it was a very capable CPU all along, only let down by Intel's experimentation. It's not necessarily just the fact that they moved away from solder. Non-soldered CPUs aren't the bane of the hardware world, it's the implementation. Der8auer himself said that sometimes they do it because certain compounds are more resistant to thermal cycling than solder, which may fracture. That's all well and good, but could Intel really not find a thermal compound that didn't suck a golf ball through a garden hose?

Yeah, when I was taking that stuff off the die it was like a crumbly rubber. I have never seen thermal paste in such a bad shape before.

Just now, WereCat said:

Yeah, when I was taking that stuff off the die it was like a crumbly rubber. I have never seen thermal paste in such a bad shape before.

Yeah I think that was Intel's phase of "how low can we go?". I mean, look at the 4790k. Talk about a knee-jerk reaction to the debacle. Both built on 22nm, merely a year apart, one runs at 3.5-3.9 and the other tuns 4.0-4.4. And of course, Devil's Canyon was a massive success, partially covering up the whole deal. It just still, to this day, boggles my mind that they couldn't invest a penny more per chip. Sure it amounts to a lot of cash over thousands of chips, but sales can also fluctuate due to reputation...

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave