Wanting to build a computer for my older brother

Yana

Hello there, I am wanting to build a PC for my older brother who has entered college going into his second year. He has been using my computer, while also playing games on it too, I would love to play with him (overwatch) whenever our schedules meet. I have heard that AMD is cheaper than Intel for building a PC. I am new to these things still since things come a little slow for me(sorry). What he would like is a computer that can run overwatch well with no lag, that is really it.

Heres what i got so far: 

CPU: https://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD8350FRHKBOX-FX-8350-8-Core-Processor/dp/B009O7YUF6/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1499671170&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Amd+cpu

Graphics card:https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Display-Graphics-02G-P4-3757-KR/dp/B00J0ISHMQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1499671427&sr=1-2&keywords=Gtx%2B760&th=1

Its not much.. but its hard for me to choose the motherboard and such because I don't understand it well.

If you can help, thank you.

p.s. I'm sorry, that I might not respond till tomorrow, it is 3:30am  at the moment, I just wanted to make this post since I was really bad at this kind of thing. Budget would be  around 800-900$. I'm sorry if this places you in a tight spot to figure things out.

GO Ryzen for sure

And buy the 1600 or 1700, the 1700 is better.

I would go with a GTX 1050 or 1050 Ti instead of the GTX 750 Ti.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/wilson1414/saved/#view=tDPRBm

There ya go! under 700$ for a much faster computer!

If you wanted to spend a bit more on it replace the 1400 with a 1600, and get a better motherboard if so. asrock ab350 pro 4, strix b350f are both good options that wont break the bank, 16gb of ram would also be a nice upgrade, would need an atx case with that change though to a better mobo.

PLEASE DON'T BUY AMD FX CPUS

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, ZM Fong said:

PLEASE DON'T BUY AMD FX CPUS

so just stick to ryzen? my friend has a AMD FX CPU atm...

I keep up to date with current products and know baselines pretty well, little things like ram are really easy, just get cheap/fastest you can for ryzen. PSU are easy to find quickly once you look through a couple tier lists and see what to look for. Mobo is just a cheap asus one that will let you hit max oc on that 1400 easily on the stock cooler. That pc I linked would do a great job at 1080p 60fps!

FX isn't a demon, just not worth buying with so many better options today. g4560 on the really low end, ryzen anywhere else unless you need insanely high frames in competitive games, then you go 7700k and overclock it to ~5ghz

Just now, Willis1414 said:

FX isn't a demon, just not worth buying with so many better options today. g4560 on the really low end, ryzen anywhere else unless you need insanely high frames in competitive games, then you go 7700k and overclock it to ~5ghz

1 minute ago, Willis1414 said:

I keep up to date with current products and know baselines pretty well, little things like ram are really easy, just get cheap/fastest you can for ryzen. PSU are easy to find quickly once you look through a couple tier lists and see what to look for. Mobo is just a cheap asus one that will let you hit max oc on that 1400 easily on the stock cooler. That pc I linked would do a great job at 1080p 60fps!

Thank you for this sir. I would be able to find all of this on Amazon i hope, cause my mother doesnt really trust pcpartpicker or newegg.com for some reason...and I dont have a credit/debit card. ;-;

try to convince her to trust Newegg, no reason to spend more money on some things if all you have to do is a bit of convincing :D good luck with the build and that's nice of you to build your brother a computer!

6 minutes ago, Willis1414 said:

try to convince her to trust Newegg, no reason to spend more money on some things if all you have to do is a bit of convincing :D good luck with the build and that's nice of you to build your brother a computer!

Sorry, one more question. Will the temp and frames be alright?I am not aware if he plays more games like Doom or something

yep! ryzen is very efficient and the stock coolers are pretty good, you'll be able to overclock that 1400 pretty heavily on the stock cooler and not run into a temp problem, the stock cooler will also help keep the mobo vrms cool, because it blows downwards. the gpu's cooler is really overkill on such a low power card.

1 minute ago, Willis1414 said:

yep! ryzen is very efficient and the stock coolers are pretty good, you'll be able to overclock that 1400 pretty heavily on the stock cooler and not run into a temp problem, the stock cooler will also help keep the mobo vrms cool, because it blows downwards. the gpu's cooler is really overkill on such a low power card.

Thank you very much, its almost 4 in the morning yet you still reply, thank you.

24 minutes ago, Willis1414 said:

If you wanted to spend a bit more on it replace the 1400 with a 1600, and get a better motherboard if so. asrock ab350 pro 4, strix b350f are both good options that wont break the bank, 16gb of ram would also be a nice upgrade, would need an atx case with that change though to a better mobo.

5 minutes ago, Yana said:

Thank you very much, its almost 4 in the morning yet you still reply, thank you.

This is a very good build. However You wouldn't need a tier 1 PSU for a budget system, I'd drop to around a CX550M (tier 3) and use the $40 saving on getting a 1060 3GB. Apart from that its very balanced good job :) 

2 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

This is a very good build. However You wouldn't need a tier 1 PSU for a budget system, I'd drop to around a CX550M (tier 3) and use the $40 saving on getting a 1060 3GB. Apart from that its very balanced good job :) 

Would that help my brother in the long run? As in gaming.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Yes because is a better GPU. But if you can't afford it don't worry a 1050Ti will be fine for titles like overwatch :) 

Ok, thank you. Bad question, how do I know if I need to upgrade a part?

@tom_w141 @Willis1414 If you are able to respond, whats the difference between your build(willis1414) and this build from this video 

2 minutes ago, Yana said:

Ok, thank you. Bad question, how do I know if I need to upgrade a part?

It's not easy as its different for everyone. When you a build a pc from scratch you should youtube some equivalent PCs (usually graphics card is most important) so you would look at videos with a 1050Ti and see what the frame rates are in games you play. 60 FPS is nice and smooth and where all PC gamers like to be. Below that is a less pleasant experience. People with more expensive graphics cards can get more than 60 fps for even smoother game play but that is more an enthusiast thing and not essential. Aim for 60 fps in the games you plan to play. Resolution is another factor with cards like a 1050Ti and a 1060 you will want to stick with 1080p.

Next is your CPU. Your CPU could bottleneck (that means hold back) your graphics card. When in games if your cpu usage is high and your GPU (graphics card) usage is below 100% then your CPU can't feed the GPU fast enough. OR you have something like V sync enabled so your GPU isn't working as hard because it is easily exceeding your monitors refresh rate, often 60Hz aka 60 fps. Worry less about this though, doesn't matter if you buy Intel or AMD Ryzen you won't be bottlenecking your GPU.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

I'm at work I can't see the video sorry.

Ah, thats fine, thank you for the info. I also heard that the prices for the gpus are rising cause of bitcoin miners.. feelsbadman.

Just now, tom_w141 said:

Yes but this shouldn't affect the 1050Ti and 1060 3GB.

Yup. I'll go tell my brother that i have a build for him when i wake up. Thank you! @Willis1414 and @tom_w141

41 minutes ago, Willis1414 said:

Nice build!

17 minutes ago, tom_w141 said:

In some cases the 1060 3GB is slower than a 1050 Ti, i still like him getting a futureproof PSU so when he upgrades he shouldn't worty

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol