Holiday discharge or not?

TomBrad95

I'm going on holiday tomorrow, I'm sure I read somewhere that any portable devices that won't be used in the next week should be let to completely discharge? Say for example Laptops and iPads, should I leave them on and drain the battery before I go or just let them die or turn them off at the charge they're at?

Thanks.

AFAIK that hasn't been a thing for a long time, the current generations of batteries don't have a "memory" like older technology used to, so I don't think it matters.

42 minutes ago, TomBrad95 said:

I'm going on holiday tomorrow, I'm sure I read somewhere that any portable devices that won't be used in the next week should be let to completely discharge? Say for example Laptops and iPads, should I leave them on and drain the battery before I go or just let them die or turn them off at the charge they're at?

Thanks.

They should be left at just over 60% charge, and not left at zero to ensure it doesn't drain too low if it was left for a long period of time even when the devices is turned off. 

59 minutes ago, TomBrad95 said:

Thanks.

You want them charged to half way, for longest life. If you are leaving for a longer period, then just above half.

18650 like to be at 3.7V each for storage and full charge is 4.20V.

Cells can discharge, depending on the circuit board attached to it to control the battery,

Laptops are well designed though.

When I leave I make sure nothing is left charging at home. It's not a battery life thing, just about fire safety. Charging batteries is one of the more likely ways something could start.

MSI Z170A Gaming M7 ͓  i7 6700k ͓  16GB DDR4-3200 ͓  EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra Gaming

Lithium Ions hold there charge really well when not plugged in,  For all my power tools, when I know they won't be used for a few months I simply charge them all up then leave the batteries on the desk.  The thing with lithium is that the battery managers will stop charging the batteries if a cell drops bellow a preset voltage, so if there is any chance your device will still be drawing current after it is turned of then you might be better of pulling the batteries out too. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Completely discharge and then leaving the battery for weeks is the worst thing for your battery.
always keep it at about 10%.
otherwise they might undercharge and refuse to ever charge again!

pb batteries, used in rc cars and more power consuming devices can even completely die from undercharged cells

1 week? You don't even need to do anything. It's generally if you're leaving your devices off for months at a time and even there, that hasn't been a thing for the past couple years anymore. Just shut your device OFF properly, meaning don't simply turn the display off, shut it down. I wouldn't recommend leaving them completely drained though, so like the others have said, at least charge them to 50~60% and leave them off.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro