Simplest vertical mount in the history of GPUs

mckrackin5324

I was about to buy a $50 adapter and thought...I can do better.

How about a small aluminum block with a couple threaded holes?

I happen to have a few.

Fasten the block to the GPU mount leaving a small gap that the case material will fit in.

Use the gap to hook the GPU over the slot in the case.

Tighten a set screw against the case.

Doing the same thing on the other end but have to drill a hole in the mounting tab on the GPU.

Not really needed unless you slam your PC around a lot.

PCI USB board used for demonstration. I'm aware it's not a GPU. lol

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

Just now, Vespertine said:

That procedure doesn't look that simple to me.

What part seems like more than putting a screw in?

how will you fit DisplayPort and HDMI and DVI connections through those holes? also looks ugly as shit with all the PCI brackets removed... I think modding would be cleaner

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 minute ago, mckrackin5324 said:

What part seems like more than putting a screw in?

Oh nevermind, I thought you had 4 or 5 parts going down each cover, haha.

Just now, Vespertine said:

Oh nevermind, I thought you had 4 or 5 parts going down each cover, haha.

Oh. I see. The USB ports look like something else?

Thanks for checking it out anyway.

This is so simple it seems marketable. lol

Just now, mckrackin5324 said:

Oh. I see. The USB ports look like something else?

Thanks for checking it out anyway.

This is so simple it seems marketable. lol

Yeah, some of those USB ports don't look like they line up though, how does it look from the back?

4 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

how will you fit DisplayPort and HDMI and DVI connections through those holes? also looks ugly as shit with all the PCI brackets removed... I think modding would be cleaner

I'm not removing all the covers. This is an old case sitting in the garage.

I will have to notch a few for my two monitors but I'll use the stock covers to fill any gaps.

Besides,the card blocks the view of everything anyway.

1 minute ago, Vespertine said:

Yeah, some of those USB ports don't look like they line up though, how does it look from the back?

I'm removing all those slots but the one I need in my regular case.

Waiting on the riser adapter now.

10 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

Also remember this isn't the whole mod.

This is simply how the GPU is connected to the case.

9 hours ago, Shiv78 said:

A real quick mock up just for you ;)

Will have the top slot cover on when finished and the cover material crooked since it's on there with Scotch Tape. lol

All the slot covers will be on and trimmed to fade in behind the card.

Hopefully you get the idea.

IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

16 hours ago, mckrackin5324 said:

A real quick mock up just for you ;)

Will have the top slot cover on when finished and the cover material crooked since it's on there with Scotch Tape. lol

All the slot covers will be on and trimmed to fade in behind the card.

Hopefully you get the idea.

now that's much better lol

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Still thinking outside the box a little but I think I'm done...

When I moved my PC,I noticed the card would jiggle a little. Since it's only mounted by the end now.

Didn't like that at all.

I dug into my RC helicopter parts (where I got the mounting block) and got a ball link stand off.

The threads match the holes in the end of the card. So I put it in there.

Then took an adjustable length ball linkage and ran it from the stand off to the case.

Card is 100% rigid now ;)

Might paint the link black...might not...

pc5.JPG