Microsoft OneDrive now only works with NTFS drives

OneDrive NTFS requirement impact?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. How do you sync files across systems?

• MSFT OneDrive
    • Google Drive
    • Apple Cloud
    • Other File Sharing Service
    • Personal Home Cloud
    • I don't trust Cloud storage and only use physical media

Has ReFS actual matured enough to be used actively on non-boot drives? Been out of the loop on its development.

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I've used SyncToy since like forever. I also use Dropbox mostly because of shared folders with other people who use it. I've tried cloud services at some point for the sake of convenience, but most of them are pretty horrible, and don't support much data in their free versions. Only MEGA has "passed the test" so far in terms of convenience and free storage limit, so that's the only form of cloud syncing I use by choice.

have you tried google drive folder/file sharing? It's actually very good allowing multiple people to work on the same file. It even has a chat for people in the document. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Is there even an advantage to using FAT32 anymore? Isn't it limited to 4GB files? 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Is there even an advantage to using FAT32 anymore? Isn't it limited to 4GB files? 

The problem is not FAT32 drives. The problem is ReFS drives.

Does OneDrive have a GNU/Linux client? Because then that's a big blow to them too.

The Android and iOS version seems to still work, so the NTFS requirement is not enforced on those platforms.

10 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Does OneDrive have a GNU/Linux client? Because then that's a big blow to them too.

The Android and iOS version seems to still work, so the NTFS requirement is not enforced on those platforms.

does the android/ios version sync files to the device like it does on the desktop? Im quite sure it doesn't. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

18 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

It seems the NTFS limitation is for Windows only and it supports the idea that it's to do with the upcoming OneDrive integration in the Creators Fall Update. Don't know why the file system creates a limitation though.

Been a DropBox Pro user for 3 years because it's the only common cloud syncing service with proper cross-platform support that isn't tied to a company who conveniently happens to make Operating Systems as well. I do long for better Office integration, however, it beats being tied to OneDrive any day of the week.

I also use the free 15GB storage you get with Google Drive because I do have a Gmail account for Android usage, and as such make use of the free Google Photos backup service and have a few shared folders added as well. I'd love to switch over 100% to Google Drive, but can't do it due to their lack of listening to users who ask for features related to organization and their insistence on using Chrome to access your files on Desktop. (I do have the Google Drive Desktop app installed, but it regularly fails to sync files, crashes occasionally, and doesn't support Linux.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

47 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Don't know why the file system creates a limitation though.

Probably because it's a Microsoft product and they always do things in the most complicated way possible, which creates a ton of issues.

I mean, it's pretty absurd how much of Windows relies on NTFS being the file system. I am fairly sure the "tight integration" (aka, poor design) between Windows and NTFS is the whole reason why it hasn't been replaced yet (ReFS is not a replacement, and ReFS shares the same semantics engine and APIs as NTFS, most likely for compatibility purposes).

open file in notepad if text or similiar program for file

now save as

ntfs formatted hdd drive partition 

this from say fat partition

its really that you need a virtuall hdd that can be loaded to ram space that will act as "translator" drive for system disks formats

21 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Probably because it's a Microsoft product and they always do things in the most complicated way possible, which creates a ton of issues.

I mean, it's pretty absurd how much of Windows relies on NTFS being the file system. I am fairly sure the "tight integration" (aka, poor design) between Windows and NTFS is the whole reason why it hasn't been replaced yet (ReFS is not a replacement, and ReFS shares the same semantics engine and APIs as NTFS, most likely for compatibility purposes).

Yeah, it seems like Windows carries a lot of legacy baggage solely because changing it breaks everything. And no one wants to exert themselves to change that. It would probably be wise to make it more modular and remove dependencies but of course that makes sense so Microsoft wouldn't do that.

5 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

have you tried google drive folder/file sharing? It's actually very good allowing multiple people to work on the same file. It even has a chat for people in the document. 

I have used it once or twice, nothing I miss about it. As I said, when it comes to shared files/folder I'm limited by other people's choices, but I'm glad not to use something as bloated as to have a builtin chat in it :P

I still have Google drive, though, basically because if you have Gmail, you have Google drive and all the other stuff. But when it comes to what I care most (and actually choose :P) MEGA is miles away everything else I've tried. I guess that might change in the future (just like I came to discover MEGA when Sugarsync went paid-only).

Come to think about it, MEGA actually has videocalls, but I don't use it (other than saving the day once or twice when Skype was... well, being Skype). Anyways, not something I look at when choosing how to sync ;) 

3 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Yeah, it seems like Windows carries a lot of legacy baggage solely because changing it breaks everything. And no one wants to exert themselves to change that. It would probably be wise to make it more modular and remove dependencies but of course that makes sense so Microsoft wouldn't do that.

In fairness, Windows is likely such a clusterfuck that removing even the smallest dependency would break everything. It would probably be easier to rewrite the entire OS than unweave the mess that is likely to be the code for Windows. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.