Microsoft OneDrive now only works with NTFS drives

OneDrive NTFS requirement impact?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. How do you sync files across systems?

• MSFT OneDrive
    • Google Drive
    • Apple Cloud
    • Other File Sharing Service
    • Personal Home Cloud
    • I don't trust Cloud storage and only use physical media

I'm honestly not sure if this was mentioned in a separate Microsoft article, however a recent update to Windows has created an error message that will pop up if your storage drive synced with Microsoft's OneDrive is not an NTFS.  Apparently a blog post by Microsoft indicates that this was how OneDrive was supposed to operate all along.  As for implications, if your drive is setup with the Windows default, it shouldn't be a big issue as that is NTFS, however, if it was something like an expansion disk then it may not be in the NTFS format then it may be incompatible with OneDrive.  

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/07/onedrive-has-stopped-working-on-non-ntfs-drives/

OneDrive users around the world have been upset to discover that with its latest update, Microsoft's cloud file syncing and storage system no longer works with anything other than disks formatted with the NTFS file system. Both older file systems, such as FAT32 and exFAT, and newer ones, such as ReFS, will now provoke an error message when OneDrive starts up.

To continue to use the software, files will have to be stored on an NTFS volume. While FAT disks can be converted, ReFS volumes must be reformatted and wiped. This has left various OneDrive users unhappy. While NTFS is the default file system in Windows, people using SD cards to extend the storage on small laptops and tablets will typically use exFAT. Similarly, people using Storage Spaces to manage large, redundant storage volumes will often use ReFS. The new policy doesn't change anything for most Windows users, but those at the margins will feel hard done by.

In a rather odd statement made to OnMSFT, Microsoft said that it "discovered a warning message that should have existed was missing when a user attempted to store their OneDrive folder on a non-NTFS filesystem—which was immediately remedied." The company's position, apparently, is that OneDrive should always have warned about these usage scenarios and that it's only a bug or an oversight that allowed non-NTFS volumes to work.

So I guess this brings forward two questions... First, who is using OneDrive as opposed to something like Google Drive, Apple's Cloud or some other File Sharing Service? Second, is there anyone out there that is using OneDrive that this would affect as you are syncing with non-NTFS drives?

Google drive for most of my files. Any really  important ones(mainly uni work) i'll place on a USB as well as on google drive.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

There is so little I actually care about backing up on my computer, it literally fits on a 2GB flash drive with about 1.8GB to spare (that's in spite of having 11TB of storage on my computer).  Yes, it would be annoying to recover it all, but not impossible.

I chose the closest one that applies to me. I don't keep things synced between systems, and I like having multiple local copies so that I can access them on other systems quickly as long as I have one of my externals with me.

Since my systems run different Windows versions, and fill different roles, there's basically no real need for me to keep them synced. Actually, with some systems on storage constraints, syncing presents an issue for my Pro 4 and Kahza build.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I use google drive for larger files and for files that do not need to be synced immediately (google drive can have a ~5min delay), and Dropbox for small files that need to be synced quickly.

At least one computer that the files sync to backs up hourly, which basically makes anything in either Dropbox or google drive very safe from accidental deletion.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Jesus Satya Nadella seems hellbent on pissing as many users off as he can, I mean the fact it was working before shows this is nothing more than MS placing arbitrary restrictions in place for no good reason.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I use OneDrive simply because im lazy and it's already included in Windows and works well for me. Before Windows got Onedrive Sync i never really cared about any Cloud Storage, but when its already here, why not use it :D

Lol meanwhile Apple just created APFS to piss on NTFS and even their own HFS xD

I personally use iCloud Drive because its the most convenient and more elegant imo. School forces us to use Google Drive though. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I use 2 NAS(one 2 bay and one 4 bay), both of them running raid1(the 4 bay will be upgraded to raid 10 in the near future). One stores all files(including important stuff. Second only important stuff. Plus i have several external HDD's for offline backup. So yeah, 0 cloud. They cannot be trusted...

They did this because OneDrive placeholders, coming with the Fall creators update, requires NTFS. 

I was pissed off at first because my OneDrive is on my microSD card, but i simply reformatted it.

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

1 hour ago, jagdtigger said:

So yeah, 0 cloud. They cannot be trusted...

it's only a matter of time... All that data is just sitting there, waiting for someone to take it..... Or purchase it.

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Lol meanwhile Apple just created APFS to piss on NTFS and even their own HFS xD

I personally use iCloud Drive because its the most convenient and more elegant imo. School forces us to use Google Drive though. 

And Microsoft created ReFs and isn't supporting it with one drive. Mkay

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And Microsoft created ReFs and isn't supporting it with one drive. Mkay

But hasn't been implemented anywhere. 

APFS can be put on any Mac that can run Sierra or higher. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

But hasn't been implemented anywhere. 

APFS can be put on any Mac that can run Sierra or higher. 

Refs can be used on windows server. But its still weird that microsoft doesnt support it with one drive.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Refs can be used on windows server

well yeah but I'm talking mainstream, not servers. 

35 minutes ago, elkenrod said:

it's only a matter of time... All that data is just sitting there, waiting for someone to take it..... Or purchase it.

That's why you use something like duplicati to make encrypted backups 

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

I only use onedrive since I have a terabyte of storage on there, comes with my office 365 subscription, which is only $99 a year for 5 installs (my whole family), (each install gets a terabyte) since my dad works at Microsoft.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

1 hour ago, Kherm said:

They did this because OneDrive placeholders, coming with the Fall creators update, requires NTFS. 

I was pissed off at first because my OneDrive is on my microSD card, but i simply reformatted it.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Jesus Satya Nadella seems hellbent on pissing as many users off as he can, I mean the fact it was working before shows this is nothing more than MS placing arbitrary restrictions in place for no good reason.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Currently using 3 flavors of OneDrive (My business one, my sharepoint one and my personal one), google drive for certain projects and dropbox for other misc. stuff. I'm fully embracing the Cloud conversion as it is.

Current Build: SD-DESK-07

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy // PSU: SeaSonic SS-650RM // Motherboard: P8Z77-I DELUXE // CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k // Cooler: Corsair H80i // RAM: Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 2X8GB DDR3 1600MHz // SSD: Crucial M500 240GB // Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti SC 2GB

OneDrive because I unfortunately have to use Microsoft Office. Google Drive for pictures and G-Docs and iCloud to backup my iPad's app data. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Wait, so according to onmsft and some other posts I looked at, it actually used to work on other file systems, but now it no longer works?

So Microsoft just went "oh it works on other file systems? Let's make it so it doesn't work!".

Have Microsoft stated any technical reason for why it doesn't work, or is it just Microsoft trying to force everyone to use their shitty standards like usual?

Seriously, fuck NTFS. It's terrible and should have been replaced long ago. And I am not talking about ReFS either.

I have my own storage solution at home that I do all my dealings with. Nobody but me can spy on the data this way! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Have Microsoft stated any technical reason for why it doesn't work, or is it just Microsoft trying to force everyone to use their shitty standards like usual?

MSFT hasn't listed any technical reasons as of yet so everyone is left to speculate and the current speculation is that this is in preparation for the Fall Creators Update to try and 'make the use of local and remotely stored files virtually seamless'. 

I've been a Nexus user (and have a Pixel XL on order), so I've always just used Google drive. It does everything that I need it to do.

I don't trust "cloud" sharing systems so I use my own freenas server + syncthing and it does everything I need it to do. Also isn't restricted to ntfs file systems.