Great camera and lens under $800

I'm about to buy my very first mirrorless camera for taking professional quality photos and videos and I have a budget of around $800.

Is the panasonic lumix g7 a good choice?

If it is, are its kit lenses good or should I buy body and lens separated?

P.S.

I'm looking for a lens with decent zoom capabilities and at least mega OIS.

(The 14-140mm kit lens I one of my choices but its aperture is quite bad.)

Friend of mine first came up with a sony aplha 6000 but is unsure about what lens to get. I know nothing about cameras but he does ... (just a sidenote)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

no offense but this is a computer forum, not that much focus on cameras. so I would ask that question on another forum :-) unless you want to watercool that cam, than come back here, we can do it!

1 minute ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

no offense but this is a computer forum, not that much focus on cameras. so I would ask that question on another forum :-) unless you want to watercool that cam, than come back here, we can do it!

we have a dedicated sufborum for photo and videography lol

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Just now, GER_T4IGA said:

we have a dedicated sufborum for photo and videography lol

which this topic is placed in... but lets be honest here ... not pissing on anyones shoes but... seriously... come on...

2 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

which this topic is placed in... but lets be honest here ... not pissing on anyones shoes but... seriously... come on...

This is a tech forum not just a computer forum.

I would get the A6000 tbh, since I do a lot of video stuff.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

This is a tech forum not just a computer forum.

I would get the A6000 tbh, since I do a lot of video stuff.

my bad then - shutting up and flying away

I LOVE my G7 I shoot with it every day since I have had it and the quality for the price is stunning. My work can be found on my Instagram Here

But read the hashtags because I also shoot with a Canon 6D and 3DR Solo.

The Kit lense (I have the 14-42mm) its a decent lense, tho now I am using a MFT to EF adapter and using a Canon 24-105mm 1:4 L series lense. but the 14-42 kit lense is very good as well.

1 hour ago, Gale101 said:

taking professional quality photos and videos

How good are you with a camera?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

39 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

How good are you with a camera?

I've tried some DSLR's before, borrowing them from my friends.

I can work with the essential settings pretty well and i've been told my pictures look quite professional...

3 hours ago, Gale101 said:

i've been told my pictures look quite professional...

By family and friends?

5 hours ago, Gale101 said:

Is the panasonic lumix g7 a good choice?

If it is, are its kit lenses good or should I buy body and lens separated?

It's a good camera, and kit lenses are generally good for beginners.  If you want a separate lens, how much are you willing to invest?

5 hours ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

I pretty much agree, this forum is too much tech and not really "photography" or "cinematography" oriented.  Most of the people who ask about cameras or talk about cameras here focus on the tech and not much on the artistry or creative aspect.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 hour ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

By family and friends?

By the friends that own the DSLRs

1 hour ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

If you want a separate lens, how much are you willing to invest?

About $325

47 minutes ago, Gale101 said:

By the friends that own the DSLRs

About $325

Well given everyone and their grandmother may own a dslr in 2017, I would take that with half a salt shaker. 

Is that included in the $800 (I may have missed that if it was mentioned earlier I do apologise). 

Generally, great glass goes for more than that, so the kit lens could be ok (of course I'm not sure if there is something better in the system of your choice). 

In general, I advise against super/hyper zoom lenses, since in my experience, image quality tends to suffer. It would be better if you started off with the kit lens,  and got another one once you have a better understanding of the focal range you need. 

For instance, if your most used range is between 100-200mm, investing in a better standard zoom (i.e. 24-70) is a waste of money and you could probably live with the kit lens. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/