Windows 8 - Thoughts and experiences

SomeRandom778

I really did like windows 7 and i admit with out classic start menu i don't like windows 8 but with it it's just like using windows 7 with tones more features and better file transfer speeds.

True but still too many bugs will think about updating to windows 8 when SP1 is out, but for now I'm staying with windows 7

When I began using Windows 8 I was very skeptical. after a good 18 months now since dev-preview it has grown on me. so much now that it has completely replaced my win 7 as my main OS. Give it a chance and a few weeks. Some of the features of windows 8 are brilliant. I would defiantly recommend creating a local account so you can actually get useful permissions.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I run Windows 8 on my desktop. I like the new start screen, with a few tweaks (removing metro apps, organize programs by category, resize icons) it can look very clean, intuitive and visual. I just wish that Microsoft would give more customization options to the user because it is very limited without 3rd party software. The Windows Key Search and App launcher is great and the new task manager is awesome. Overall the OS runs and boots faster.

It does seem like it has a higher learning curve than its predecessors and I can see how a non-techy person could feel lost. But it seems like the people that are complaining the most are geeks so I don't get it.

To me windows 8 is just windows 7, stabler since they removed the problems from XP now! And with a pretty start menu, so I really don't see the problem with upgrading infact I recommend it. No compatability issues that I have encountered, and no bugs. My only gripe is that the Top Left hand corner shortcut bugs me as when you are trying to click on File in progams it switches you to the previous full screen app.

But I can live with that, overall I would say that it is an improvement and that you should try it. However it can take some getting used to, give it a few weeks (like the SubTract suggested).

-Pow3rCut

I actually like windows 8 with the start button program. I know that makes it exactly like windows 7, but, as Linus said, its better to have the latest os for the latest support and bug fixes. I also I like how you can change the picture of the lock screen without having to change a bunch of settings in the windows files. I also like how the base version of win8 can support up to 128gb of RAM, whereas in win7 u had to get the pro version if you wanted, say, 32gb of ram.

CPU i5 3570k @ 4.5GHz Motherboard MSI Z77A-G43 RAM 16GB Patriot Somthingortheother GPU XFX 7870 GHz Edition Case Corsair Vengeance C-70 Black Storage 120GB Kingston HyperX 3k + 1tb Seagate HDD PSU Corsair HX650  

Displays 2 old 1080p Acer and Samsung ones Cooling Corsair H60

† TTCF Member †

Windows 8 is a great operating system, just not for desktop users. The integration of touchscreen friendly features makes Windows 8 difficult and annoying to use with a mouse and keyboard. I personally have used Windows 8 on touchscreen laptops and tablets, and it is certainly a lot more user friendly than using it on a desktop.

i think windows 8 is a great operating system, but only a touch screen device will be able to see the full benefits of it. I plan on sticking with windows 7 on my desktop for the next few years.

Windows 8 shipped isn't fun to use on a desktop.

That being said, you can turn Windows 8 into something entirely usable with enough customizations. You can get a start menu replacement, and you can rid your dependence on the Metro (or whatever it's called) UI.

It boots FAST on a WD Black and it's snappy.

Well, I first experienced it when using my friend's laptop; and at first I was really annoyed. It took me awhile to get use to it, but after awhile it started becoming more natural. I wouldn't say I prefer it as far as non-touchscreen displays go, but for tablets or touchscreen I would say it would be a perfectly acceptable experience. If only you had the option of switching to a windows 7 style with the start menu, I would actually consider installing it into my computer, but considering you have to download different programs, most of which cost money, I will just stay away and hope that Windows 9 isn't geared towards touchscreen displays.

I've been using windows non-8 for 10 years and I don't see the point of learning something different as windows 7 does everything that I need it it to do. On the other hand my view of windows 8 maybe flawed as I have only used it on bloated laptops.

"No signature"

I love 8. All you have to do is downlaod start8 from stardock.com and you can boot directly into your desktop mode and get a start menu back (if you want it). You can also still access the wonky metro UI if you need/want to. Some of the benefits over 7: integrated Windows Defender, excellent remote desktop functionality (if you have Pro), faster speeds, especially boot times. I can't really find any reason to NOT upgrade to 8. Well, almost. Some programs and companies aren't making the switch and some programs have issues updating and running but it's nothing I haven't been able to find a solution for.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

I actually like windows 8. The search function is awesome!

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

I enjoy Windows 8, it has a lot of good features and makes a lot of things easier to use, but I don't see a reason to update from W7 to W8. You don't really gain enough to justify the price.

I've been using windows non-8 for 10 years and I don't see the point of learning something different as windows 7 does everything that I need it it to do. On the other hand my view of windows 8 maybe flawed as I have only used it on bloated laptops.
"I don't see the point of learning something different" "...does everything that I need it it to do." well i can safely say you will never achieve anything in the tech industry.

Personally when using it in RP in a vm I found it unusable, the scrolling on Formerly Metro with a mouse didn't feel right, and when trying to use it as a power user, not having a start menu, somewhat annoyed me. I'm used to hitting the start button on my keyboard, typing something and then hitting enter, and the program appears, adding extra steps into that made it feel clunky. I haven't tried it on a touch screen device yet, maybe it is miles better on a tablet, but I personally will be avoid Windows 8 on any of my computers.
You can still press Winkey and then type to search, just like Vista/7's start menu. No extra steps needed.

Hated it at first, somewhat got used to it. There are things I like about it and things I hate. Certain tasks certainly take longer to do but it is what it is. Probably keep Windows 7 on my main rig.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

I thought it was pointless as it was mainly built for touchscreens, but after installing it and obviously installing a start menu (Start8) i find it fine.. couple of things are a pain, like the default media players, but installing VLC fixed that :D.

I've been using Windows 8 as my main OS since the Consumer Preview (and as a dual-boot OS since the Developer Preview) and absolutely love everything about it. Could it have been a little better? Sure. But I think that it's great as it is right now. It's basically Windows 7 underneath with several improvements. I really don't see what everyone is complaining about. I'll be getting a Surface Pro as soon as I can and can't wait to use it with touch.

Once you get "Classic Start" or "Start8" or any similar application it is beast mode. It's just Windows 7 but... bette.

It is amazing. getting used to the new layout and functionality took a couple days. but after that it has been awesome....super fast startup and wake times...super detailed task manager....super resource management(uses so less resource for itself) .......no problems in gaming what so ever....!!! it has been so much fun the past couple months!!

windows 8 for the win!!

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

Hey,

I've used Windows 7 for years but changing to windows 8 was a nightmare I couldn't take it on a none touch desktop computer screen.

What are your views on it, and have you found ways to make it more usable (apart from the obvious start menu)

Windows 8 is a great OS under the hood. It's a leaner, more secure version of Windows 7. I don't mind the UI changes but I do believe Microsoft should have given the users more choice in that area than they did. Windows 8 is fine on the PC, but it's going to change the tablet world. Windows RT/8 tablets are far more capable than their Android and iOS counterparts. The ability to multitask and natively browse the file system are flexibility we should have, yet people seem to want to take from us. I'm going to make a prediction that Android 5.0 ships with some form of multitasking (a la Galaxy Note II).

Ok, now that I have reread that it does sound stupid. But my view on windows 8 kind of changed because I got the stat menu installed on it and it is basically like a faster version of windows 7. I am not going to upgrade my main computer though because it will be the same but slightly faster, and I would rather save the money for my transition to Intel I am planing for 2013. Finally I will learn to use something different if there is something that is worth it and windows 8 with 7 menu and 7 are the same things so i'll stick with 7 until the next one comes out, but the point I was making was that I don't see any use in metro but I am ok with 8 now that I have the regular menu back.

"No signature"

I do like Win8, although it took me a little while to get some traction on finding my way around and working with the new UI (it wasn't really that intuitive to me), I was overall pleased with the OS. It felt a lot sharper and responsive, I particularly liked the new task manager and copy graphs and the live tiles in 'Metro'. When I came across Classic Start I was very happy to get back to computing the way I'm used to.

However... I mainly use my PC to stream content to my XBox in the living room, using Windows Media Center Extender with MediaBrowser. At first I was pleasantly surprised to find the navigation through the menus was noticeably faster, but then the deal breaker, avi playback is terrible! There is a huge post on the Windows Community page concern this, and it seems to be that the bandwidth is being held back.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-pictures/win8-media-center-streaming-to-xbox-quality-issues/65d7253d-2811-4859-b939-8c186a0bd623

It's disappointing that no one from MS has picked this up and let the community know either way if it will be addressed, and equally that there wasn't an issue with this in Win7.

For me the benefits of Win8 were outweighed by the time and effort it would take for me to convert all my avi's to MP4 or something that works, so I've rolled back to Win7 & my Win8 DVD lies in a drawing praying to be let out if the bug gets resolved :'(

I run Windows 8 on my main desktop and I find it perfectly usable.

It all depends on what your usage type is as to whether you'll be able to get on with it or not. I suspect those with laptops will find it easier and those with tablets will get the best from it. It does seem to be faster than Windows 7 both in terms of system usage and streamlined usability tweaks.