Other ways to repair GPUs other than baking?

marvin5881

Does anyone know of any other techniques I can repair GPUs if the problem isn't a weakened solder? Also, roughly what percentage of the time is a broken GPU due to a weak solder?

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

A broken video card may not be because of a GPU's solder going bad. It could be another component on the card that went bad.

Yes, I'm asking about ways to fix the card if the problem isn't a bad solder.

13 minutes ago, marvin5881 said:

Does anyone know of any other techniques I can repair GPUs if the problem isn't a weakened solder? Also, roughly what percentage of the time is a broken GPU due to a weak solder?

You didn't happen to replace the thermal paste did you? I replace the thermal paste on my 780 and it took serveral months before it went bad. Turns out I put too much on and it shorted the pins around the chip.

I'm planning on buying broken cards and fixing them, so no.

Just now, AustinJ said:

You didn't happen to replace the thermal paste did you? I replace the thermal paste on my 780 and it took serveral months before it went bad. Turns out I put too much on and it shorted the pins around the chip.

that only happens if you derp and use conductive paste, moral of the story, quit using conductive paste in areas where leads and contacts and junk are exposed.

As for repairing cards with damaged components, it largely depends of your ability to diagnose the problem, then on it being something that can be fixed cost effectively..... so how are your diagnostic and repair skills?

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Thanks Austin, Do you or anyone else know of common issues other than bad solders? Maybe there are common components I can watch out for? And what can't be fixed also, I hear blown capacitors are a dead end.

I've repaired PC's, but I've never repaired individual components like GPus.

Just now, marvin5881 said:

Thanks Austin, Do you or anyone else know of common issues other than bad solders? Maybe there are common components I can watch out for? And what can't be fixed also, I hear blown capacitors are a dead end.

Nah I just watch Louis Rossmann every now and then. I don't actually know too much on the topic. You might be able to find some cards with bad fans. The fans on my Evga 780 stretched out over time and collided with the shroud causing one of the blades to break.

9 minutes ago, marvin5881 said:

I've repaired PC's, but I've never repaired individual components like GPus.

It's extremely different, unless you've had experience repairing mobos or GPUs before chances are you won't be very successful at it. Don't see it as something to actually try making money off, just as something as a sort of hobby.

As others have mentioned, you should check out Louis Rossman, it might give you some idea as to what you should be doing.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, AustinJ said:

A schematic, a volt meter, and some spare parts.

Don't forget Father Time, the killer of profits. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…