Fractal Design Celsius S36

Just a quick note post build regarding the liquid cooling solution I installed.  I purchased and am running the Fractal Design Celsius S36.  So far after a couple weeks of almost continuous operation with an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 currently at stock, I see no issues with it.  Some quick notes.

1) The included screws allow for XSPC's 3mm rubber gaskets to be used between fan and radiator on one side without buying longer screws.  I did this for vibration dampening, not because I expect increased airflow.

2) The fans are pretty much silent, but if you use the included fan hub attached to the radiator (and you'll need to buy fan cable extensions if not), keep in mind that the pump and all three fans will be running off the same header.  You'll want a high-amperage header.

3) The pump is easy to adjust between PWM and Auto, and on Auto at high speed there is (in my opinion) an audible whine.  The unfortunate truth about an integrated setup like that is that of course software tends to be easier to adjust.  However, PWM mode seems to work fine if you have a motherboard that can manually adjust the output of that header.  Of course, keep in mind that you are adjusting fans and pump all at the same time, and will have precious little range.

4) Mounting this to my motherboard seemed infinitely easier than the stock cooler.  Maybe I'm biased.

5) Five year warranty, covers everything in the system if it leaks and you haven't opened the AIO.  If you've opened the AIO to add more components, since you can with this one, the warranty will only cover the components of the actual AIO.

6) No RGB, no extra bling on the fans.  It's simple, and relatively cheap.

7) Will OC the 1700 and see how it handles.

the Celcuis s36 is one of only two 360mm AIO coolers made by asetech that I am aware of. The thermaltake 360 unit being the other one. That model is constantly topping the charts in aio comparisons so the fractal unit should be pretty good as well.

While fans on PWM are a good thing, ramping up with temps. you may find it better to separate out the pump from the fans and use different headers to control the fans and the pump.You don't really get much benefit running the pump at 100%, just more noise.  Temps will be not much different to running the pump at medium speed compared to full speed. Low speeds will effect temps though.

If the pump is PWM controlled, you should look at setting a pump  curve that remains relatively flat in the 70-75% range. Certainly run temperature tests to confirm, the sweet spot may be 80%

I would be interested in hearing what temps you can keep your 1700 at with that cooler.

On 7/1/2017 at 5:08 PM, GTBTK said:

the Celcuis s36 is one of only two 360mm AIO coolers made by asetech that I am aware of. The thermaltake 360 unit being the other one. That model is constantly topping the charts in aio comparisons so the fractal unit should be pretty good as well.

While fans on PWM are a good thing, ramping up with temps. you may find it better to separate out the pump from the fans and use different headers to control the fans and the pump.You don't really get much benefit running the pump at 100%, just more noise.  Temps will be not much different to running the pump at medium speed compared to full speed. Low speeds will effect temps though.

If the pump is PWM controlled, you should look at setting a pump  curve that remains relatively flat in the 70-75% range. Certainly run temperature tests to confirm, the sweet spot may be 80%

I would be interested in hearing what temps you can keep your 1700 at with that cooler.

Well, at non-OC speeds under some load (gaming) it never goes above 40 C but I probably haven't run a game yet that focuses on CPU more than GPU.  I don't own Ashes of the Singularity for example.  I've yet to run a stress test like AIDA64 on it though.  I like the idea of separating the fans out although I'm not fond of running extension cables for every fan to the mainboard...no to mention some of those will need to be decently long to go in the cable management area of the case rather than straight across.  I'll run the AIDA64 test to see what kind of temperatures I get on average and then look at what stable OC I can get it to and what cabling options I have.

I will be interested in hearing what the results are

To be perfectly frank, I don't do this as a matter of regularity so I'm not sure what an appropriate testing interval is.  I did run AIDA64 extreme for 5 minutes and it did of course go up.  It was slightly above 40C before I stopped it.  This is still with the pump and fans on the same header using the 'Auto' setting on the pump rather than PWM.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone tried installing this in a Master Case 5 Pro?

On 10/4/2017 at 5:18 AM, CjMH888 said:

Has anyone tried installing this in a Master Case 5 Pro?

Forgot to quote your original posting.  See my response above.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:18 PM, PineyCreek said:

You could stick a S24 in the front.  No support for 360mm rads.  Radiator's not super thick.

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/mastercase-5/

Check the specs page under radiator support

Radiator Support Front 240mm/280mm (up to 40mm thickness without fan)
Rear 120mm/140mm
Top N/A

I bought it installed it and it fits nice and tight could not install the top 2 screws but 10 of 12 screws is good enough for me :D