Dual Boot questions (Win7/Max OSX)

Hi all

Summer holidays are nearing and during that time I want to do something productive. Specifically, I want to develop my programming skills and a good way for me to do this whilst enjoying it is to develop Apps for IOS. The best program to use is XCode, which is an OSX exclusive, so I had my mind set on building a hackintosh as I'm not keen on spending too much just yet. I already have a PC, but it's AMD based so I need to grab an intel CPU and motherboard. Which brings me to the questions, I'll list them out so it's not too confusing:

1- I will be going with a Gigabyte motherboard as it is suggested the most for a hackintosh build. My main question is on the dual BIOS, can I use this feature to setup one BIOS for windows and the other for the OSX? If so, how do I switch between them during boot up? 

2- If I cant do that, how do I setup a dual boot config? Is it a good option? 

I plan on having the Windows OS and Mac OSX on seperate HDD's btw

This is what the build will look like

CPU: Intel i3 4130

MOBO: Gigabyte (any model that is most suggested)

RAM: 8GB of Kingston RAM

PSU: 500W Silverstone Strider

GPU: AMD Radeon HD7750 (carried over from old PC)

HDD1 for Win: 500GB Seagate Barracuda

HDD2 for OSX: 500GB Seage Momentus

If I missed anything please let me know, thanks a bunch!

You dont need to switch BIOS when you dual boot, unless it messes with your UEFI. Just go into the BIOS and choose the appropriate drive. Anyway, answering your question, there will be a switch on the motherboard that allows you to switch BIOS. The location varies from one board to another.

Personal Rig

i7 4790K | Asus Z97I-WiFi | CM 280L | Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X | Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 8GB | 128GB Samsung 840 Pro | 2TB Seagate SSHD | Seasonic Platinium 660W | Bitfenix Prodigy

Hi 

I actually have a really well working DualBoot Hackintosh. i7 4930k - Asus Rampage IV

I would highly recommend you to install the systems on separate HDDs, like you mentioned.

For the motherboard, I would go with an Gigabyte one, its much easier. Check out TonyMacX86 for more information.

As for the GPU, I would go with an NVIDIA. They work much much better on Hackintosh.

Also first Install OSX on the first HDD and install Windows after on your 2 HDD. Make sure not to do an UEFI Windows install. Also you don't need to switch bios. Just Install the Chameleon Bootloader and then set your Hackintosh as Boot Drive in your BIOS.

Anyway, make sure to checkout TonyMacX86!!!

Hope this helped you out a bit ;)

Leodaniel

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

You're better off asking this question on tonymac

Interested in Business and Technology