is updating MOBO bios relatively safe or risky?

I use a powerspec rig i got almost 3 years ago. specs in my flair but the cpu/mobo is 5820K and MSI X99S Gaming 7.

the bios is still from 2015 or 2014 its version H.3, since then, bios updates from MSI have gone up to version H.10, then they started naming them after letters and already have been through H.A through D. so theres been more than 10 updates I have missed.

I started looking into this for two reasons. One being that since i got this computer, no matter what I do i cant get the computer to stop taking forever going through post codes for like 20-25 seconds before loading Windows. It's not a big deal but im nit-picky. So maybe updates could help that.

Secondly, I want to get another drive in my C70 case but already Have 3 behind the back cover and to retain my nice visual aesthetic i have going on, the only thing i can fit would be an M.2 size drive, so i started looking into NVMe drives. And i noticed that a few of the latest bios updates this this year and last for my mobo include improvements for NVMe, so i should probably update bios if i intend to use NVMe.

When i briefly googled about updating BIOS on motherboards, for my specific mobo and others, i immediately ran into some forum posts here and there about some nightmare stories where peoples rigs wouldnt boot after updating and this and that. So it kind of scared me.

My mobo features "M-flash" where you can put the bios update file on a formatted flash drive and install it when booted into current bios. Is it possible to back up ones motherboard bios in case something went wrong? but then again how would you boot into something and restore old bios if your new one is screwed? this is all scaring me lol.

any thoughts?

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

It's risky, don't do it unless you really really need to, like fixing compatibility or adding some features (like NVME) or something.

Some motherboards have USB bios flashback where you can reflash the BIOS without having to boot up the computer at all.

I'm not sure if that's what M-flash is, but I assume so. Read your motherboard manual to learn more about it.

TO fix your long boot times I would suggest unplugging all device except monitor and mouse/keyboard to see if it still happens.

You can also try unplugging all drives except your OS drive.

Also, enable fast boot in the BIOS.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

it shouldnt cause any problems, some bioses require that you flash an earlier version if you haven't updated your bios before and alot of revisions has been made..
without a UPS however a power outage can fail a bios update (it actually did on my current system as i was setting it up, but it was easily fixed thanks to the same thing your motherboard also has: dual / crashfree bios
as you have two physical bios chips you are basically running no risk in updating the bios as you can just switch bios and reflash the failed one within minutes

it was a bigger issue before as motherboards only had a single bios and no way of recovery if a flash failed, now nearly all good motherboards have dual or crashfree or similar bios protection

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

3 minutes ago, Changis said:

it shouldnt cause any problems, some bioses require that you flash an earlier version if you haven't updated your bios before and alot of revisions has been made..
without a UPS however a power outage can fail a bios update (it actually did on my current system as i was setting it up, but it was easily fixed thanks to the same thing your motherboard also has: dual / crashfree bios
as you have two physical bios chips you are basically running no risk in updating the bios as you can just switch bios and reflash the failed one within minutes

it was a bigger issue before as motherboards only had a single bios and no way of recovery if a flash failed, now nearly all good motherboards have dual or crashfree or similar bios protection

wow cool, ok i iwill check if my mobo has dual bios mode switch, that seems cool and safe then

CPU: Intel 5820K OC 4GHZ | RAM: 16GB Corsair | GPU: ASUS STRIX 1070 8GB OC | Samsung EVO 980 500GB

13 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

wow cool, ok i iwill check if my mobo has dual bios mode switch, that seems cool and safe then

it does.. MSI is boasting dual bios on the product page, even showing a picture of two identical bios-y looking chips

Spoiler

msi.PNG.5c9256f6858ff887b1db7c7891565a12.PNG

from the manual (located here)

Spoiler

aaaa.PNG.9746ae993e1c3dc83db0532798927f0f.PNG

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

2 hours ago, Changis said:

it does.. MSI is boasting dual bios on the product page, even showing a picture of two identical bios-y looking chips

Hide contents

msi.PNG.5c9256f6858ff887b1db7c7891565a12.PNG

from the manual (located here)

Hide contents

aaaa.PNG.9746ae993e1c3dc83db0532798927f0f.PNG

thank you so much youre a saint!

7 minutes ago, kofman13 said:

thank you so much youre a saint!

nope, just Norwegian

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler