Why are GPUs so expensive right now??

JoeCoke

Wait a few months for the cryptocurrency to crash, then we will have tons of used GPU's for cheap on the market.

• 6 months later...

So, it's been a while now. What do you people think? Are there any indications of prices going down. Here in Norway it really is insane. As soon as something comes back in stock it's sold out, usually at 60-75% above MSRP. RX 570 ad 580 have been sold out for a while and I've never seen a Vega for sale, but I know some Vega 56's were sold for about 800% many months back. You can get them used at obscene prices.

I am looking to upgrade my 7850, and was hoping to go for a rx580 or VEGA. I've searched around for news but found little. Has AMD or Nvidia made any statements? Is supply going to cath up with demand? 

1 hour ago, Overmann said:

So, it's been a while now. What do you people think? Are there any indications of prices going down. Here in Norway it really is insane. As soon as something comes back in stock it's sold out, usually at 60-75% above MSRP. RX 570 ad 580 have been sold out for a while and I've never seen a Vega for sale, but I know some Vega 56's were sold for about 800% many months back. You can get them used at obscene prices.

I am looking to upgrade my 7850, and was hoping to go for a rx580 or VEGA. I've searched around for news but found little. Has AMD or Nvidia made any statements? Is supply going to cath up with demand? 

With the performance level of cards that aren't severely affected, you're much better off sticking with the 7850 for awhile.

As of news, no new information had come in since the last thread of the same topic ten minutes ago.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 hours ago, Overmann said:

No signs of prices coming down. Nvidia and AMD (mainly AMD) still aren't keeping up with demand.

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

On 7/10/2017 at 10:57 AM, User Name said:

Wait a few months for the cryptocurrency to crash, then we will have tons of used GPU's for cheap on the market.

Still waiting. :I

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

4 hours ago, south221 said:

Time to play the long game.

Preeeeetty much.

I was planning to upgrade my system from a radeon hd 5450 to a gtx 1050 ti. I almost had enough money to do so, but then the price jumped more than 30% (for both the 1050 and 1050 ti). Now I can no longer afford it. Since my power supply doesn’t have any VGA connectors, I can only upgrade to a video card that uses less than 75 watts. I hate what these miners are doing to video card prices. And I don’t want to get the 1050 because I want the highest performance graphics card for my system...

If you have any suggestions for a video card besides what I have mentioned, I would be happy to hear it.