Building my first gaming rig with SGD1700 (Comments please)

Then i will look into them in the future. I just didn't have much else then bad experiences to state an opinion on.

Alright. 

I guess to add to experiences you can call back on--I love their fan tuning software. It just works unlike some others *cough cough*

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Alright. 

I guess to add to experiences you can call back on--I love their fan tuning software. It just works unlike some others *cough cough*

Good. It seems we managed to come to an agreement :)

And about the fan tuning: I will call back on everything ;)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

If you're not sure you're going to sli, you probably won't. Most people who plan to sli/cf end up just getting a better, cheaper single card when they need to upgrade. 

Nothing wrong with Asrock or Msi.... 

Asrock came from Asus.

The 760 doesn't even have enough power to use all of the 4GB. Not worth getting the 4GB version let alone the normal 2GB one over the 7950 that is cheaper and better.

My rough recommendations: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/27ZTw

Really, you're getting 'premium parts' that don't really perform better and are killing your budget.

Get some cheaper ram. Vengeance pros are a waste of money. 

Maybe the prices are different here. Because the Vengeance Pro is the same price as the Vengeance here, and Kingston is only 3 bucks cheaper. All the other options are either same price or more expensive. 

Ryzen 5 5600x | Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro | Asus TUF RTX3070 | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3600mhz

Maybe the prices are different here. Because the Vengeance Pro is the same price as the Vengeance here, and Kingston is only 3 bucks cheaper. All the other options are either same price or more expensive. 

Really? All of them? 

Why then by all means, get the vengeance pros.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Really? All of them? 

Why then by all means, get the vengeance pros.

Yup pretty much. G Skill is a bit more expensive. I found this weird about Corsair things here. The cases are highly marked up, but the memory is cheap.

My current planned build till now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/28Rlx

I know it might seem a little strange to suddenly switch from my previous choice to Gigabyte for the mobo, but I'm planning to tinker around to build a hackintosh (on another SSD) apart from having windows in this build, and I read that gigabyte is the best choice at the moment.

Definitely not overclocking thus the non-k and non-Z series mobo

Came across the Antec Eleven Hundred and really loved it, so switching to that case instead.

I know this build doesn't need a CPU cooler but I want to get a aftermarket cooler for vanity purpose (sounds a bit dumb but I dont want to run an intel stock cooler on this beautiful machine)

The dark knight might be more expensive overseas, but here it's the same price as the Hyper 212, and I like the look better so haha. I know the CM might run a little better though, but the 2 are quite comparable as far as I know.

Ryzen 5 5600x | Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro | Asus TUF RTX3070 | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3600mhz

Yup pretty much. G Skill is a bit more expensive. I found this weird about Corsair things here. The cases are highly marked up, but the memory is cheap.

My current planned build till now.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/28Rlx

I know it might seem a little strange to suddenly switch from my previous choice to Gigabyte for the mobo, but I'm planning to tinker around to build a hackintosh (on another SSD) apart from having windows in this build, and I read that gigabyte is the best choice at the moment.

Definitely not overclocking thus the non-k and non-Z series mobo

Came across the Antec Eleven Hundred and really loved it, so switching to that case instead.

I know this build doesn't need a CPU cooler but I want to get a aftermarket cooler for vanity purpose (sounds a bit dumb but I dont want to run an intel stock cooler on this beautiful machine)

The dark knight might be more expensive overseas, but here it's the same price as the Hyper 212, and I like the look better so haha. I know the CM might run a little better though, but the 2 are quite comparable as far as I know.

Sounds good but your color scheme can use a rework.

You have blue, gold, green, and red in the same build

Sounds good but your color scheme can use a rework.

You have blue, gold, green, and red in the same build

Haha I realised. Thus I'm giving it some more work.

Here's my latest build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2afw5

You can great a rough guide of prices from this link (Our local online IT store):

http://www.mynextcomonline.com/

The store is not the lowest price fro some items such as memory but it's a good general guide.

I've decided to do some overclocking with this machine, as well as trying to build a Hackintosh, thus explaining my parts my cooling solutions. For the case, I would be going with a CM690III windowed edition.

I think with all these, I've pretty much maxed out on my air cooling, and with overclocking to 4.0 to 4.2, I should be able to keep this build to below 80˚C hopefully.

Any comments?

@woodenmaker Now it's primarily a blue and black build with the only red coming from my GPU. Is there a huge performance, overclocking and temperature difference between the MSI and Gigabyte version? They run about 20 bucks different, and from what I know the MSI one is slightly more superior in terms of temperature at stock clock.

Here's my latest build:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2afw5

You can great a rough guide of prices from this link (Our local online IT store):

http://www.mynextcomonline.com/

The store is not the lowest price fro some items such as memory but it's a good general guide.

I've decided to do some overclocking with this machine, as well as trying to build a Hackintosh, thus explaining my parts my cooling solutions. For the case, I would be going with a CM690III windowed edition.

I think with all these, I've pretty much maxed out on my air cooling, and with overclocking to 4.0 to 4.2, I should be able to keep this build to below 80˚C hopefully.

@woodenmaker Now it's primarily a blue and black build with the only red coming from my GPU. Is there a huge performance, overclocking and temperature difference between the MSI and Gigabyte version? They run about 20 bucks different, and from what I know the MSI one is slightly more superior in terms of temperature at stock clock.

For memory, brand doesn't matter. Literally any CL9 1600 ram will do.

No need to get an NH-D14 for that. A Hyper 212 Evo would hit 4.2-4.4 ghz quite easily and is still pretty quiet for a value cooler.

The gigabyte and msi coolers are comparable. The windforce cooler cools better but the twin frozr is quieter. 

Your latest build doesn't look any more color coordinated..

If you want a blue/black build, don't get parts that are not blue/black. Simple.

As for corsair fans, they're quite loud and you shouldn't get them if what you're going for is quiet.

For memory, brand doesn't matter. Literally any CL9 1600 ram will do.

No need to get an NH-D14 for that. A Hyper 212 Evo would hit 4.2-4.4 ghz quite easily and is still pretty quiet for a value cooler.

The gigabyte and msi coolers are comparable. The windforce cooler cools better but the twin frozr is quieter. 

Your latest build doesn't look any more color coordinated..

If you want a blue/black build, don't get parts that are not blue/black. Simple.

As for corsair fans, they're quite loud and you shouldn't get them if what you're going for is quiet.

I would go for gigabyte GPU then, since I can do a lot more with that extra 30 bucks.

My 2nd choice for fans would be the coolermaster excalibur. If I go for the 212, what fans would you recommend for maximum cooling while being moderately quiet? Or would the excalibur be good?

As for colour, it's not such a big deal as I'm gonna install blue LED strips. Anyway, what I meant was that 2 colours versus 3 before haha.

On a related note, if I'm going for a performance/value for money build, would it be advisable to go for Ivy Bridge instead of the Haswell?
I would like to go for gaming + overclocking and I think that the Z77X-UD3H with the 3570k presents a much better value overall compared to the Z87-D3HP.
The Ivy Bridge combo is 12 bucks cheaper than the Haswell combo here.

My 2nd choice for fans would be the coolermaster excalibur. If I go for the 212, what fans would you recommend for maximum cooling while being moderately quiet? Or would the excalibur be good?

On a related note, if I'm going for a performance/value for money build, would it be advisable to go for Ivy Bridge instead of the Haswell?
I would like to go for gaming + overclocking and I think that the Z77X-UD3H with the 3570k presents a much better value overall compared to the Z87-D3HP.
The Ivy Bridge combo is 12 bucks cheaper than the Haswell combo here.

The fan on the 212 Evo are already pretty good and moderately quiet. See if they're too loud before replacing them.

Haswell is worth it over Ivy for the better mobos alone but a 8320 is much cheaper and is great for gaming if you don't play single cpu core heavy games a lot.

The fan on the 212 Evo are already pretty good and moderately quiet. See if they're too loud before replacing them.

Haswell is worth it over Ivy for the better mobos alone but a 8320 is much cheaper and is great for gaming if you don't play single cpu core heavy games a lot.

Oh I don't mean replacing them. Just planning to add for fans for my top exhaust, HDD cage exhaust and bottom intake.

Hmm will monitor the prices for a bit before taking the plunge..

Oh I don't mean replacing them. Just planning to add for fans for my top exhaust, HDD cage exhaust and bottom intake.

Hmm will monitor the prices for a bit before taking the plunge..

Adding fans don't make things quieter. It does the very opposite.

I know that.. It does makes the temp lower right? What I meant was having additional fans while adding minimum noise

I know that.. It does makes the temp lower right? What I meant was having additional fans while adding minimum noise

The stock fans should be fine as is. You can always add more later if you find that you want more airflow and less noise.

Alright! I'll monitor my temps first then

• 4 months later...

After many many many months, I finally got around to building this dual booting beast.

Thanks for all your help. Although the suggestions were really helpful, I ended going all the way in the end and paid less attention to the budget and more to what I need.

Extremely satisfied with my end result.

Check out my build here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/141895-completed-build-the-naughty-dog/#entry1896210

The stock fans should be fine as is. You can always add more later if you find that you want more airflow and less noise.

Not necessarily... Two fans running at 2500 RPM will be loud, Six fans running at 600 RPM will be quiet.

After many many many months, I finally got around to building this dual booting beast.

Thanks for all your help. Although the suggestions were really helpful, I ended going all the way in the end and paid less attention to the budget and more to what I need.

Extremely satisfied with my end result.

Check out my build here:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/141895-completed-build-the-naughty-dog/#entry1896210

what resolution do you play BF4 in?

what resolution do you play BF4 in?

Funny thing is that I haven't gotten around to playing BF4 yet as I have a lot of backlog games. Plus I'm serving in the army so I don't have much time at the moment.

Funny thing is that I haven't gotten around to playing BF4 yet as I have a lot of backlog games. Plus I'm serving in the army so I don't have much time at the moment.

It was mostly about your build, you wanted more than 60 fps and with a 770, that might not be possible depending on the resolution haha, that's why I asked

It was mostly about your build, you wanted more than 60 fps and with a 770, that might not be possible depending on the resolution haha, that's why I asked

Haha I had to get the 770 because it's the best a hackintosh can go as far as GPU. In the future I may get a more powerful PSU and another 770 to SLI if I find a single 770 insufficient. But I'm really not that concerned about getting more than 60fps anymore. I used to game a much lower spec machine so 60fps is really amazing to me right now.

Haha I had to get the 770 because it's the best a hackintosh can go as far as GPU. In the future I may get a more powerful PSU and another 770 to SLI if I find a single 770 insufficient. But I'm really not that concerned about getting more than 60fps anymore. I used to game a much lower spec machine so 60fps is really amazing to me right now.

haha you're wrong though...

I run dual 780ti's on a hackintosh no problems...

who told you 770 is as far as it goes?