Better Temps On A Cheaper Cooler?

Hello,

So I can't seem to make up my mind on a CPU cooler or even narrow down the selection. My specs are: i7 5820k, X99 Taichi, R9 290, NZXT Phantom Crafted. I was using a Corsair H60 and had consistent temps. Idle temps were mid 20s (celsius) at least when I was monitoring the temps which I did every once in a while, and had no problems with load temps, but I never monitored those. But then I had to replace my mobo and lost the screws for the H60 and ended up getting a h H80i V2 but the idle temps were high 20s, offten in the 30s and would somtimes hit the 40s. The temps moved around a lot. Is this normal, especially on a more expensive cooler? Wouldn't a more expensive water cooler perform better? I should also include that under stress the temps never hit 60. They would get close, but the temps would drop, but the stress test also ran for maybe 10 minutes give or take. 

I ended up returning the cooler since I got a better cooling experince on the H60 and for cheaper. 

A. Did you use different thermal paste?

B. Did you make sure the new cooler was fastened properly

C. The other cooler could have been somewhat faulty / lower pump speeds.

Diamond 5 in League :)

1 hour ago, Shd0w2 said:

A. Did you use different thermal paste?

B. Did you make sure the new cooler was fastened properly

C. The other cooler could have been somewhat faulty / lower pump speeds.

I used a tube of artic silver I have had for about four years, but when I took off the CPU block the thermal paste was closer to the bottom. I believe the cooler was fastened right. So it could have been the cooler or even paste. 

EDIT: When I saw the thermal paste I didn't think it would make that big a difference in the cooing, but maybe it did.