how to make your own oxygen?

Legolessed
5 hours ago, Legolessed said:

so im going to need some liquid or gaseous oxygen but i dont know how to harvest it. I know something like sodium chloride releases it when burned but i dont see people doing it so theres gotta be a better way. electrolysis? anyone know? also will storing oxygen in bottles work?

Well, besides buying it, you could obviously do that thing we all did in middle school called "electrolysis"... The best part of this is that you get both the oxygen and the hydrogen that you will need.

After reading all these posts, I have to question your knowledge of rocketry, but liquid motors are fun, and more importantly, throttleable. I hope you have the necessary equipment to run and measure your valving, piping, pressure tanks, and safety systems

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

2 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

Well, besides buying it, you could obviously do that thing we all did in middle school called "electrolysis"... The best part of this is that you get both the oxygen and the hydrogen that you will need.

After reading all these posts, I have to question your knowledge of rocketry, but liquid motors are fun, and more importantly, throttleable. I hope you have the necessary equipment to run and measure your valving, piping, pressure tanks, and safety systems

i dont know much about rocketry since im pretty new at it but i have been constantly researching and figuiring it out.

35 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

i dont know much about rocketry since im pretty new at it but i have been constantly researching and figuiring it out.

Well, as someone with formal education in the matter, maybe a liquid fueled engine isn't the best, or most legal, place to start. If you are just a hobbyist, and you haven't made it to "G" motors or bigger yet, I would be hesitant to build a liquid motor that's meant to fly. It's fine to build one that will sit on a test stand and run every once in a while, but I wouldn't recommend flying one until you have more experience, there's just too much that can go terribly wrong.

By far the easiest way is to stick two wires into a bowl of water and collect the bubbles that come up from each end when you apply power.  One will be hydrogen and one will be oxygen.

13 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Why do you need oxygen? You do know this stuff is nothing to fuck with right? It can blow up in your face if you're not careful. 

What, just pure oxygen?  Please explain how that would happen...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What, just pure oxygen?  Please explain how that would happen...

Okay I exaggerated a bit, but it's still a flammable substance. It's hazardous. Oxygen canisters have explosion warnings on them for a reason. 

ASU

2 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Okay I exaggerated a bit, but it's still a flammable substance. It's hazardous. Oxygen canisters have explosion warnings on them for a reason. 

It's actually not flammable at all.  Remember the fire triangle?

Fire_triangle-300x258.png

It allows other things to burn but it itself is not flammable or the whole world would have exploded long ago, since, you know, 21% oxygen in the air - more than enough for fire if it could burn on its own.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

12 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Snip 

True, but it's still dangerous, thus the warning labels. 

oxygen_tank.jpg

ASU

6 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

True, but it's still dangerous, thus the warning labels. 

Dangerous, yes.  It's a highly compressed gas capable of burning other materials.  But it itself is not flammable, and I don't know where people get the idea it is but they need to stop xD 

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Dangerous, yes.  It's a highly compressed gas capable of burning other materials.  But it itself is not flammable, and I don't know where people get the idea it is but they need to stop xD 

This brings up an interesting point. Two of them actually: Isn't it funny how people who have no idea what they are talking about "try to help" (the combustion triangle is middle school stuff after all), and if you don't already know how to build a liquid rocket motor, you probably shouldn't build one.