DDCM Desk Project: Unique. Simple. Powerful

DD Custom Mods

It’s time for DDCM to start the next project!

So… I present to you, DDCM Desk!  Unique.  Simple.  Powerful. 

We will start by thanking our sponsors that have partnered with us to make this project a reality!

First, we start with ModMyMods.com(MMM), who partnered with DDCM for our last mod, Project: Military Tech.  They have continued their support and I’m very excited that they are coming onboard again.

Second, we welcome a new partner with DDCM, Alphacool!  After hearing about our project and about PMT, they were happy to join MMM in supporting this project.

Third, we have another new partner in InWin.  They will be supplying the Aurora fans and Classic 900W PSU for the build!

I can't believe we've already gained a 4th sponsor!  Nanoxia will be supplying our beast of a desk with their one and only Retro Mechanical Keyboard with the white switches.  I can't wait to feel the typewriter nostalgia again!!  Now it looks like I'm going to have to mod a mouse to match....

Project background:

Inspired after I saw several majestic works of PC art and the need to replace my old desk.  My old desk was clunky, super heavy, and only provided a cabinet with limited airflow for the storage of my modded PC, Night Shark. 

After great PC desks like L3p D3sk by Peter Brands and Project Alternate by DeBlow came into the spotlight, I began to contemplate ways to own such a unique piece of modding mastery.  As I have always been a fan of the non conventional builds, thus became the challenge of making one my own.   Now that my workshop can handle this sized project and I gave away my old desk to a local gamer, the stage is set to begin my own approach to the PC Desk culture.  It has been a long time since I have created something for my personal use and very excited about the prospect of recording/editing content on this new desk.

So kick back relax and enjoy this journey with me as I work to create this unique creation.  Let me know what you think and I’m always open to hear suggestions or other’s experience with similar projects.

Our final renders.  With a possible move in the near future, I will most likely make it a free-standing desk instead.

Cool. Can we buy one?

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

I like the idea. Would the PC Components be susceptible to being moved/damaged if say hit while sliding a chair under the desk or such? 

| i'm bad at games, but play them anyways |

Nice idea, I have a custom scratch desk build going at the moment. Nice to see others doing it!

On 6/20/2017 at 3:25 PM, King_of_Oz said:

Cool. Can we buy one?

Nothing is out of the realm of possibilities.  The price tag would be rather high though.

On 6/20/2017 at 9:21 PM, Siq said:

I like the idea. Would the PC Components be susceptible to being moved/damaged if say hit while sliding a chair under the desk or such? 

As far as I know, things should be rather steady.  The 3/4" pine that I'm building with is very heavy and will provide a very structurally sound base.  It definitely would take more than the constant banging of a chair to shake the components up.

On 6/23/2017 at 10:49 PM, IAmOctonaut said:

Nice idea, I have a custom scratch desk build going at the moment. Nice to see others doing it!

Very excited to finally be beginning my desk as well.  I will have to go check out your build log and see if I can learn anything :ph34r:

26 June 2017

Good morning DDCM fans and followers!

Time for another #DDCMdesk update:

Today let’s work with a little wood.  Some might argue my choice of material, but sticking with the theme of being unique, I picked up a sheet of ¾” Radiata Pine Plywood.

First steps began with marking out my first cuts of the pieces.  Hardest part was trying to figure out how much angle I needed to ensure my planned components would fit.  Thankfully, my old, well used components come to my rescue again.

Angled pieces cut out as the starting point to the rest of the build.  Then I moved onto the second cut which is the first angled front window.  By why stop there, after mocking up the cuts we continued to cut the back angle and the underside(5gal for reference).  Next steps, the mid shelf and the bottom piece to measure and cut.

liking the wood choice. Are you planning on it being black or staining? 

7 hours ago, IAmOctonaut said:

liking the wood choice. Are you planning on it being black or staining? 

Going to be painting it black.  Going for either a eggshell or satin finish.  I'm leaning towards satin for a more even shine.  I'm just excited I get to use my new paint gun to apply it with.  Of course my kitchen cabinets will be the test subjects with the new gun first ;)  can't mess up the important stuff haha

Cool idea dude. Hey if you have not painted it yet, then you should look into Minwax's Polyshade Polyurethane and Stain in one. It is a great product and it does not  peel off. The only reason I suggest this to you is I had painted my wife's desk white and eventually the paint started coming off. So when I built my desk I used the above mentioned in black and I love it. Let me know what you think and good luck.

Hey, that stool you have in the initial prototype model images will be terrible for posture, just saying.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

20 hours ago, Zakgruza said:

Cool idea dude. Hey if you have not painted it yet, then you should look into Minwax's Polyshade Polyurethane and Stain in one. It is a great product and it does not  peel off. The only reason I suggest this to you is I had painted my wife's desk white and eventually the paint started coming off. So when I built my desk I used the above mentioned in black and I love it. Let me know what you think and good luck.

That's a phenomenal suggestion.  Thank you, I will definitely look into that.  I haven't painted yet as I'm still getting things cut out. :)  Hopefully soon though.

17 hours ago, King_of_Oz said:

Hey, that stool you have in the initial prototype model images will be terrible for posture, just saying.

O.o  Yeah, my actual stool has a bit taller back to it.  But I've been trying to get a gaming chair that I can mod into a stool.... but no luck :P

I like the idea (if not the colour scheme - I'm a white build kind of guy, like the fresh look :)) - in fact I really like it!

I have a question and a suggestion -

1) How are you dealing with the rear I/O with the board been inside the case like that? Same the GPU I guess? 

2) Some of those tube runs are pretty long, you might need to go with the larger diameter tubing to aid rigidity

3) I would also consider some exhaust fans at the top - I cant quite tell how you are setting up at the moment, but looking at the fans in the base Id say 2 x3 exhaust from the bottom. There will be a lot of heat sitting around the top of the board from the VRM's and the RAM. If they are indeed all exhaust in bottom, then maybe a couple of intake fans at the top just to get some cool air passing the RAM and VRM's?

4) When you say paint, do you mean brush or spray? I think you could get an amazing finish with gloss spray paint, especially on the inside, it would give great contrast in there rather than satin/matt 

As I said, just suggestions, it's your build and the idea looks great! 

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

8 hours ago, DD Custom Mods said:

That's a phenomenal suggestion.  Thank you, I will definitely look into that.  I haven't painted yet as I'm still getting things cut out. :)  Hopefully soon though.

If you need a visual to get an idea of what it would look like with the Poly Shade, just check out my build. It is easy to find...its my only post...

6 hours ago, stealth80 said:

I like the idea (if not the colour scheme - I'm a white build kind of guy, like the fresh look :)) - in fact I really like it!

I have a question and a suggestion -

1) How are you dealing with the rear I/O with the board been inside the case like that? Same the GPU I guess? 

2) Some of those tube runs are pretty long, you might need to go with the larger diameter tubing to aid rigidity

3) I would also consider some exhaust fans at the top - I cant quite tell how you are setting up at the moment, but looking at the fans in the base Id say 2 x3 exhaust from the bottom. There will be a lot of heat sitting around the top of the board from the VRM's and the RAM. If they are indeed all exhaust in bottom, then maybe a couple of intake fans at the top just to get some cool air passing the RAM and VRM's?

4) When you say paint, do you mean brush or spray? I think you could get an amazing finish with gloss spray paint, especially on the inside, it would give great contrast in there rather than satin/matt 

As I said, just suggestions, it's your build and the idea looks great! 

Great comments! I love the feedback, I will try to answer the questions the best I can :) 

1) I am building a small angled inlet that will open from the underside to allow cables to plug into it but without being seen.  Same with the GPUs.

2) This is a good suggestion, I might need to use fittings to split the distance while strengthening the runs.  +1 for that

3) Yeah, exhaust fans will be planned, but not installed at least not initially.  I will see how temps do with testing before deciding if it'll be necessary.  otherwise it'll be the 6x120 fans on the radiators moving air through.

4) The current plan is to use Sherman Williams paint, then use my air gun to spray the pieces, at least the wood.  I have some co polyester pieces that will be added that might get spray can of some black.  I do like the idea of the gloss for the inside, I've just always found that when dealing with lighting, I prefer not a lot of glare/reflected light from high gloss paint/surfaces.

Again don't hesitate to give tips and suggestions.  I would be a fool not to take any advice I can get :) 

22 minutes ago, Zakgruza said:

If you need a visual to get an idea of what it would look like with the Poly Shade, just check out my build. It is easy to find...its my only post...

I will go do that now.  Thank you

It's not too bad, it almost looks like it's half dried, but allows the wood grain to kinda show.  I like the finish, but for this build I'm going with more of a very smooth, factory like finish.

07/03/2017

Once the panels were cut, we needed to get all the miter cuts so that we can continue forward with the brads and glue.  Thank you to the one and only Mod-squito for confirming my technique would work.  Nothing like trying to cut angles with only a skill saw.  Always have a straight edge guide or at least a factory cut edge of a board.

Once all the mitered edges were set up and verified everything joined up the way it should, it was time to start glue and nailing the panels together.  We start with the bottom brace that the back panel will hinge off of.

Then we cut the main window out and got the rest of the panels glued together.  Each join was reinforced with 1 ¼” brads shot with my nailer.

Then we moved on to cut out the middle shelf that the radiators will mount to.  Got it cut and fit nicely with a mitered edge to join with the angled back panel.

Next up, cut out the side window and cut/nail the base plate.

• 1 month later...

08/14/2017

First, I share our current setup…… Be gentle on this poor man.

Second, the last progress of the desk included mounting the mid shelf to the back piece.

Last but not least, we have our first procured part for the desk….. a Seagate Barracuda 2TB drive.  Initially purchased to back up our media/important files before I dare shut down everything and move it to the new house.

Next up, cut out the side window and cut/nail the base plate.  Once we have our workshop set up at the new house.  In the meantime, we are working on getting more parts/sponsorships.

looking good, can't wait to see the window installed. I have found that doing a window is one of the hardest parts! 

On 8/15/2017 at 8:37 PM, IAmOctonaut said:

looking good, can't wait to see the window installed. I have found that doing a window is one of the hardest parts! 

I will agree on the window, my plan is to route the edges of the plywood on the inside, then set the window into it.  Then use basic screws to attach it to the wood.  If I can't manage that, I might do simple triangles in the corner.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2017 at 8:42 AM, DD Custom Mods said:

I will agree on the window, my plan is to route the edges of the plywood on the inside, then set the window into it.  Then use basic screws to attach it to the wood.  If I can't manage that, I might do simple triangles in the corner.

When i had planned on doing wood for my current build, i was going to route the edges like you say. I think its the best way! 

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for the lack of quicker updates, the project is on a slight hiatus as we get settled into our new house and I have been DIY working all over the house.  The wife has kept me busy on the projects so I’ve only managed to get my workshop set up.

But I wanted to drop a quick update to introduce our new sponsor!

That’s right!  InWin has been gracious enough to sponsor DDCM desk project!  They are going to be sending two of their awesome products!

Their Aurora fan kits(which of course will be red LEDs)

And their Classic Series 900W power supply!

I can’t thank them enough and I can’t wait to get the unboxing video done!  Will be posted to our YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCog6RbBUSD_zfNEujIBX2dg

Until our next update on the desk, we will be working on a client mod of a NZXT H440 with a Final Fantasy X theme. :o

Happy Modding all and thanks for sticking with us. :D

i know the feeling of moving, I am currently doing the same thing! 

Cannot wait to see more

We’ll start off this update with the updated renders.  Made to match the cabinet shape a little better and shortened the length to fit in the new room.  We lost the Sketchup file and had to rebuild from scratch so I apologies if things are a little off.

Next we’ll move onto showing off our legs….. our black IKEA table legs that is.  Black polished metal and adjustable.  Going to work perfectly!

While waiting for some paint to dry on our client’s build, we got some backplates marked out for the desk.  Motherboard, GPU, 2x SSD, PSU bracket

Also we set up a temporary desk as the wife was going to kill me if she had to work on the budget using her Macbook only.  *chuckles*

Finally, we’ll wrap up this update with a picture of our part’s shelf getting full and linking our unboxing from Inwin below.  Thanks for tuning in and having patience as we work through this desk project.

Unboxing Video of InWin goodness!(PSU and Aurora Fan Kits):

https://youtu.be/U_Z91F2SCAM

On 9/24/2017 at 10:22 PM, IAmOctonaut said:

i know the feeling of moving, I am currently doing the same thing! 

Cannot wait to see more

Be safe in your move man and  pace yourself if you can :D

Looks neat, but it also looks like there is very little leg-room. Can't extend the table-top to the left?

I deal in shitposts and shitpost accessories.