Are Vapor Chambers as good as the hype?

atavax

With the marketing around vapor Chambers in the xbonex and them existing on high end video cards, I'm curious why I don't hear about them in CPU air coolers. With the growing popularity of AIOs and copper heatsinks having a comeback, I think it's unlikely that they would be too expensive for the market. Are they so common we just don't see it mentioned because it's assumed? Or is there a feature in modern desktops that minimize the usefulness of them on CPUs?

Same thing as a heat pipe.

I think they just change the shape a little, make it wider or whatever.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Because its easier to just cool a heatsink rather then enclosing the  heatsink and blowing a fan through them. It will be massive and probably lose alot more surface area. It works on graphics cards because its already a long card so just slap a heatsink on it enclose it and put a blower fan on it

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

they are expensive and not needed in almost all cases. direct heatpipes are good enough as it is and adding a vapor chamber for a coupple of degrees better preformance isnt worth the cost outside of super high end stuff where money isnt much of a problem

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I understand that they're expensive, but it seems like if it could lower temps by more than like 2 degrees than comparable air coolers it would be competing with AIOs' performance without the risk of catastrophic failure, and a lot of people would pay like $150-$200 for that.