Why do Graphics cards exists.

Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,
43 minutes ago, Joe Jackman said:

Well lets say, a company managed to pull it off...

So pros would have been that we could swap out vrams and GPU chip just like processesor and system ram..what are the cons then?

Because unlike CPUs, there is no actual standard on graphics cards and the GPUs as they rapidly change every 2-3 years. That is why we have DirectX and OpeGL, where the graphics card driver does the translation from OpenGL/DirectX calls to its own architecture, and the circuitry is designed to reflect the architecture design of the GPU. Even then, say that this part standardizes like on CPUs with the core architecture (x86), we can see from AMD and Intel CPUs they have a different CPU sockets, and Intel and AMD need to change their socket type every now and then due to changes to the architecture an chip design.

They could just soldered it in a motherboard. Like it could have been fast and cheap as mass production of motherboards could have lowered the cost.

Upgrading as time goes on, not locking a user into mainboard x because it has GPU x, when they want features only on mainboard y and GPU x.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Joe Jackman said:

They could just soldered it in a motherboard. Like i could have been fast and cheap as mass production of motherboards could have lowered the cost.

Because VRAM, VRMs and all that take up a lot of room, it goes back to the days of 16 ISA cards, when a motherboard only did CPU and RAM, that was it, everything needed expansion cards, from CD drives and HDD's to sound cards, the graphic display out was another card, it still remained that, however you don't need a GPU for most commuters, and some older boards have integrated graphics on the motherboard, they sucked. 

Yours faithfully

why would you want to buy a whole new car when you can just buy a single replacement part

Favorite Threads: PSU Tier List

My Stuff n' Things

Spoiler

The Beast (My Rig)   |CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X|  |Cooling: Enermax Liquimax III, 6x 120mm Noctua Redux|  |Motherboard:  MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus|  |RAM: 4x32gb 3200 G.Skill TridentZ NEO|  |Graphics Card: EVGA(RIP) GeForce RTX 3070TI FTW3|  |Power Supply: Corsair CX-M 750W|  |Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Mid Tower Case(Black)|  |SSD: 1Tb WD BLACK NVMe, 500gb NVMe, 1Tb Samsung 850 EVO|  |Monitor: MSI Optix MPG341QR 34" Ultrawide|  |Keyboard: Logitech G815|  |Mouse: Logitech G203 LIGHTSYNC|  |Audio Interface: FiiO K7 DAC/Amp|  |Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX |Webcam: Logitech C920, Logitech C270|

My Network Rack  |Switch: Cisco Dell PowerConnect 5548P|  |Router: Unifi USG|  |Rack: 12U|  |Server: HP Z420|  |Services: Proxmox PVE, Wireguard, Pihole, NVR, NAS|

The above, not to mention that motherboard manufacturers would have to purchase their cards to put on every one of their boards, for the majority of graphics cards.....................

That's, an insane amount of combinations. So it wouldn't lower costs really

Just now, AUniqueName said:

The above, not to mention that motherboard manufacturers would have to purchase their cards to put on every one of their boards, for the majority of graphics cards.....................

That's, an insane amount of combinations. So it wouldn't lower costs really

True, at least we could have swap out the GPU chip like a processor.

because could you imagine the size of a motherboard with a card like this in it

Image result for three slot graphics card

it just wouldn't be practical, that and it means the motherboard makers can make a couple of motherboards, and from them and all the other parts make nearly infinite combinations which wouldn't be possible to make otherwise 

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

IDK if it's "THE" reason, but one reason why I wouldn't want them to be on the same PCB: I upgrade my core components (CPU, Mobo, RAM) once every 3-5 years, but I upgrade my video card at least once annually. I couldn't imagine a world where I'd have to do a complete gut every time I upgraded my GPU: reinstall CPU backplate, reseat CPU, remount HSF, re-cable manage. No way. It's triggering my OCD just thinking about it. :D

4 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Because VRAM, VRMs and all that take up a lot of room, it goes back to the days of 16 ISA cards, when a motherboard only did CPU and RAM, that was it, everything needed expansion cards, from CD drives and HDD's to sound cards, the graphic display out was another card, it still remained that, however you don't need a GPU for most commuters, and some older boards have integrated graphics on the motherboard, they sucked. 

So pros would have been that we could swap out vrams and GPU chip just like processesor and system ram..what are the cons then?

43 minutes ago, Joe Jackman said:

Because unlike CPUs, there is no actual standard on graphics cards and the GPUs as they rapidly change every 2-3 years. That is why we have DirectX and OpeGL, where the graphics card driver does the translation from OpenGL/DirectX calls to its own architecture, and the circuitry is designed to reflect the architecture design of the GPU. Even then, say that this part standardizes like on CPUs with the core architecture (x86), we can see from AMD and Intel CPUs they have a different CPU sockets, and Intel and AMD need to change their socket type every now and then due to changes to the architecture an chip design.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Because unlike CPUs, there is no actual standard on graphics cards and the GPUs as they rapidly change every 2-3 years per se. That is why we have DirectX and OpeGL, where the graphics card driver does the translation from OpenGL /DirectX call to its own architecture.  Even then, you still need a AMD chipset for AMD CPUs, and Intel CPUs requires Intel chipset on the motherboard, both hjave different sockets, and Intel and AMD need to change the socket type every now and then due to changes to the architecture an chip design.

Aaaaaaaahhh. That's right....