Old tech that you should throw away but you don't

8 minutes ago, Lethalmonk said:

but but but, you wrote it in caps!?!

I know but I ran out of old tech to talk about lol

derp

On 6/16/2017 at 8:03 PM, Lord Nicoll said:

Pentium 4's, I have 7 of them now, one day I'll throw them out, today is not that day. 

You have any models from 2001/2002? Planning on making a dedicated Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed playing beast with either a Voodoo 2 or a GeForce 4 4600 Ti.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 GPU: MSi GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC RAM: 14GB DDR3 (3x2GB, 1x8GB) Mobo: Acer MB.GAU07.001 Case: Gateway DX4860 PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze Plus

13 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

wow, people still keep the garbage. I always sell or throw away old stuff. 

When I was a kid, I never had too much. So now that I can afford to have stuff, anything that people try to throw away I keep. I have a 50 or so year old pillow, old RAM, old consoles I haven't played in years, and much more in my closet.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 GPU: MSi GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC RAM: 14GB DDR3 (3x2GB, 1x8GB) Mobo: Acer MB.GAU07.001 Case: Gateway DX4860 PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze Plus

My old GT640, a 350W PSU, i3 2120 with a bent corner, 2 raisin cans, a broken Xbox 360, my old Alienware keyboard with a broken leg, my old Xbox One Stereo Headset that is held together with electrical tape (holding the sides together, not the electrics), my many mice, an old Xbox 360 headset, the controller that came with my Xbox 360 that has been broken for more than 5 years, an extra disc drive for burning (will use in future, need to get the sata cables), a desk lamp that's on my floor, 2 egg shaped PC speakers, and a very very rare and old gutted Gateway tower. Originally had a Pentium D in it. Oh, and a humidifier. 

On 17/06/2017 at 1:06 PM, spartanvi said:

I have a BFG GeForce 7950GT and a XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 640mb (yes, XFX used to be team green, kiddos) as back-up cards. The fact that my i7 6700's integrated Intel HD 530 graphics is actually 2x faster than the 8800 GTS kinda makes it a moot point to have these as back-ups, but they're still invaluable troubleshooting tools nonetheless. 

Man, I had one of these bad boys, it was such an awesome card imo. I was using it up until 2012 when it finally packed it in & started artifacting rather bad, the fact it was still running titles then at decent frame rate & graphic settings amazed me. I ended up selling it on eBay to someone for $30 a few years back.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

A (Fastware?) Riva TNT2 Vanta 16MB. It may be shit (just a 15MHz OC on the memory increases performance drastically, despite the core being clocked 125MHz higher than most others), but its the only AGP card that I have which doesn't have Electrolytic or Tantalum capacitors meaning that its the most reliable and least likely to have a catastrophic failure if anything goes wrong. In fact, the PCB has that many holes from components not installed that I can see through it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

My custom water loop from EKWB worth about 500€ if I were to buy everything new.

I can't find any buyer that would pay even 200€ for it.

But I don't have the heart to just throw it all away.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

I have so many IDE cables I will never need. I also have a Mini ITX board with an Intel Atom 230 on it with this as a hard drive (4GB):

innodisk-edc-4000-vertical.jpg.0730c8495beb2b28e47e54b954d5974f.jpg

-KuJoe

Oh boy.

I have a whole cabinet full of old hardware.

HDDs, GPUs (One GTX of each generation since i believe the GTX 2XX series), RAM, CPUs, some cases, kilometers of cables, ... . I just can't convince myself to throw out anything that potentially works. Not that anybody would ever want to use 1 gig RAM modules or I will ever be in desperate need of an Intel i7 920.

It just sits there waiting for the day my hardware cabinet becomes full and I have to find a solution.

Machines take me by surprise with great frequency

14 hours ago, a e s t h e t i c a s said:

You have any models from 2001/2002? Planning on making a dedicated Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed playing beast with either a Voodoo 2 or a GeForce 4 4600 Ti.

Actually no, the oldest I have is still a rather later 2004 PGA 2.4GHz one, I have none of the early ones, 6 of them are LGA 775, they seem to have shipped the most, or the others have already been recycled (the gold on the pins might be why, you can get from from the PGA ones)

Yours faithfully

Ps3 

Gt 710(mostly for troubleshooting) 

Hdmi to analog adapter 

I have sooo many parallel printer cables. I'm so ashamed. But what if I find a cool dot matrix tractor-feed printer?!

My mom's Packard Bell computer that she used in the early 90s for college, a Compaq LTE/Lite whose floppy drive is broken, the entire corner of our garage that's full of old IDE drives and motherboards and webcams and various other bits and pieces of old computer, receiver, and printer parts...

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

On 6/18/2017 at 11:45 AM, aarondatechguy said:

I still have an old 3DFX Voodoo 2 graphics accelerator card. Can't throw that puppy away. cost me a fortune back in 99. Saved my first month of pay checks for that guy

I have the voodoo3 3500.  You can't throw them away because they are a part of history.  An era the pc industry will probably never have a gain.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

i've got a old AMD HD 7950 from MSI (TWIN FROZR II i believe) in my shelf. Doesn't work anymore, whenever i try to boot, everything i get is a blackscreen.
Was the first GPU i bought from my own money, and hell a good one as well.
I still remember how i got 5(!!) Full Games with the GPU (i think 3 from AMD and 2 from MSI).

The games alone were worth more than the GPU (think i paid around 220€).

Looks good in the Shelf and i can't convince myself throwing it away..

I still have a GTX480 lying around. Also there's a Asus P8P67 with an i3-2120 and 8GB of memory just waiting to be used, I wouldn't even know if it still works.

18 hours ago, McRawFull said:

I still have a GTX480 lying around. Also there's a Asus P8P67 with an i3-2120 and 8GB of memory just waiting to be used, I wouldn't even know if it still works.

Can i have the mobo? 

1 hour ago, Scitesh said:

Can i have the mobo? 

But of course you can. I see you are located in India, shipping will probably cost a small fortune. I live in the Netherlands.

Gtx 570 that overclocks like a beast (well, not up to gtx 1080 level), a burnt gtx550ti, burnt 7950, burnt geforce 7600, a couple of dead hdd's, random ddr2 and unstable ddr3 corsair ram, cables to probably wire a whole server room...