Looking to upgrade to ryzen

My current specs are pretty wierd and are not balanced at all

Amd athlon 860k OC'd to 4.1Ghz

Sapphire pulse rx 580 4gb

8gb ddr3 ram (1600mhz)

Sandisk 60gb ssd (basically just windows and main game i play)

WD Blue 1tb 7200rpm

Corsair Cx430 (eik i know lol)

The first thing you notice is my cpu, its bottlenecking that gpu pretty badly. But also im running a 430w psu right now. Ill get a new one eventually but right now its working fine, just a little warm lol

My main question here is about upgrading my cpu. I want to go to ryzen 5, its going to be the 1400 or the 1500x, i will decide on pricing when it comes to doing it. The plan is, to save up and buy everything i need all in one go, cpu, mobo and ram. Then i will sell all my old hardware on ebay or whatever and make some money back. When i was looking for motherboards i have seen that you can get ddr3 am4 motherboards. This would allow me to keep my ram and not have to mess around getting ddr4 and selling the old ddr3. I basically just play games, mainly overwatch but i plan to play some better games once i get this new cpu, i also make some youtube videos so i render videos occasionally. I mean basically, is upgrading to ddr4 really necessary? Please remember that im on a tight budget here, Ive been saving for a while and will continue to do so for the coming weeks, as im only a kid :D any help would be much appriciated, thanks!

is buying used an option for you?
a used i7 4790 or 4790k on a z87 or z97 platform will allow you to reuse your DDR3 ram and will still be a huge improvement for you

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Ryzen doesn't support DDR3 AFAIK. And I'd say to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 1400, 8GB of 3000Mhz DDR4 RAM, and then sell your RX580 for $400 or something and get a used 980 Ti or 1070. Or use the money to get a slightly better CPU or more RAM, and a 1060 6GB. Or just keep your poor innocent RX580 safe from miners, and don't sell it. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

What DDR3 AM4 board? I haven't seen any

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

7 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Ryzen doesn't support DDR3 AFAIK. And I'd say to upgrade to a Ryzen 5 1400, 8GB of 3000Mhz DDR4 RAM, and then sell your RX580 for $400 or something and get a used 980 Ti or 1070. Or use the money to get a slightly better CPU or more RAM, and a 1060 6GB. Or just keep your poor innocent RX580 safe from miners, and don't sell it. 

Bro i aint selling my 580, only got it a recently, well, when it came out. Im in the uk by the way, same problem here now though, not when i bought it.

10 minutes ago, mok said:

is buying used an option for you?
a used i7 4790 or 4790k on a z87 or z97 platform will allow you to reuse your DDR3 ram and will still be a huge improvement for you

Id like to avoid it if possible. I think for my plan the ryzen is the best choice anyway.

Just now, Will01 said:

Bro i aint selling my 580, only got it a recently, well, when it came out. Im in the uk by the way, same problem here now though, not when i bought it.

Ok. If I had one I wouldn't sell it either, but I was just pointing out you can make some good cash from them now. And you're lucky you got one before the miners found out how good they were. 

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

Ok. If I had one I wouldn't sell it either, but I was just pointing out you can make some good cash from them now. And you're lucky you got one before the miners found out how good they were. 

Ohh i see what you mean, as in a can sell it for alot. hmm, ill look into it now, thanks for that!

Can i have link to the AM4 motherboard that supports DDR3?

3 minutes ago, Will01 said:

Ohh i see what you mean, as in a can sell it for alot. hmm, ill look into it now, thanks for that!

Yup. Saw one on CL for $400 or a trade for a 1070. SO you can get a much better GPU in exchange for one now. 

Main PC 

21 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yup. Saw one on CL for $400 or a trade for a 1070. SO you can get a much better GPU in exchange for one now. 

nice, i mean all im doing is gaming. might stick it on ebay tomorrow. Gotta work out what i will do when i dont have a gpu, ill have to steal my brothers graphics card for the day, its like a gt 640 lol. i can play rocket league on it probably hahaha

Not sure if id be able to get a 1070 though, i think i could sell my 580 for like £350 max and 1070 are like 400

I think if i sell the gpu you reckon im best on gumtree, not sure if youve heard of it. its like craigslist basically. then i dont have to pay fees and stuff

1 minute ago, Will01 said:

I think if i sell the gpu you reckon im best on gumtree, not sure if youve heard of it. its like craigslist basically. then i dont have to pay fees and stuff

Probs. Just be sure to post that the price is firm. And I'd try 400 pounds first. If the miners are desperate enough, they'll pay that much. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

Probs. Just be sure to post that the price is firm. And I'd try 400 pounds first. If the miners are desperate enough, they'll pay that much. 

oh yeah, why not try it! hahah. Id do it now but i would need to go and grab the box which is in the loft (atic) and take my gpu out to take some pics. Looking on gumtree nobody is selling any in my entire city, not good but also could mean they are being snatched up????

On 15/06/2017 at 8:52 PM, Zando Bob said:

Ive had my rx 580 on gumtree which is like craigslist and also on ebay for a good few days now and ive had an offer on ebay of like £165 lol. So apparently nobody really wants these gpus right now in the uk anyways. There are a few on ebay selling on bidding but they are usually the 8gb cards. I dont even know if its worth selling it on ebay, ive got it listed right now for 350, i will have to pay £35 once i sell it in fees. If i list it much cheaper its going to get to the point where its more effort than its worth. If im only gonna make £50 i dont think id even do it. not with the risk of ebay returns and bs like that.