Does PC gaming have problems?

Hello, the title says it all..

What I mean is when Windows Updates are not up to date and get stuck or takes way too long... Graphics drivers not downloading.. file corruption, bugs, crashes and games sometimes being un-optimised.

Also remember, the toxic community (heard rumours) 

Thanks.

PS: I am not a gamer myself (just curious) please explain

Yes, PC gaming can have problems. But be careful, take good advice, use common sense, and you shouldn't have many. It's basically the same for any type of gaming (though consoles may be more durable, but PCs are more powerful, and with great power comes great responsibility, upgradeability, fixability, etc.)

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

toxic comunities in some games, though not in the ones im currently playing(atleast not to an exetent that has an impact on the fun)

windows likes to break sometimes

NVIDIA drivers tend to break for no aparent reason but its not much of a problem usiually becuse DDU exists

its too fun?

too many games. like legit. too many games

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Not entirely sure what you're asking about here.

Generally, modern games will run even on old drivers - I hadn't updated my NVIDIA drivers for like 3 months when I played Prey and it didn't really care.  Windows updates don't do a thing to gaming - in Windows 10 they only apply the next time you reboot the computer, so you can have one queued up for weeks if it's an always-on system like my main rig is.  

I've never had file corruption on ANYTHING without deliberately screwing with the files (in which case, always make a backup)

The unoptimized part is more just...shitty console ports.  Which isn't nearly as big of a problem in the current generation as the PS4 and XB1 are both actual PC hardware.  Last gen it was terrible.

PCMR is toxic, but so are pre-pubescent console kids.  So...

Just now, Tibbles said:

I got fed up with microsoft's bullshit that is Windows 10, thus I switched to GNU/Linux full time. In my opinion it's a much better experience, provided you're willing to do a bit of research and learning.

My windows 10 always screws up :( Its so sad.. I contacted microsoft and they told me to do an "in-place update" to "fix" corrupted files, and I believe it did fix the corruption.. but it did not resolve my problem..  and that problem is Windows updates being stuck SO I HAVE TO DOWNLOAD UPDATES WITH THE CATALOG.

GG Microsoft... gg

4 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

I got fed up with microsoft's bullshit that is Windows 10, thus I switched to GNU/Linux full time. In my opinion it's a much better experience, provided you're willing to do a bit of research and learning.

Can you plays games on Linux? Is there a lot of games available?

3 minutes ago, Viel said:

Can you plays games on Linux? Is there a lot of games available?

Ya there are a lot of games but not nearly as many as on Windows. If you are thinking about switching look into your favorite titles. A lot of older unsupported games will never be ported to Linux and most AAA publishers won't put their games on Linux, but lots of indie games are coming out on Linux. As Tibbles said, look into Wine. It isn't perfect but it can run some older games like Fallout and Skyrim, at decent performance, but it will never be able to run GTA V.

6 minutes ago, mail929 said:

Ya there are a lot of games but not nearly as many as on Windows. If you are thinking about switching look into your favorite titles. A lot of older unsupported games will never be ported to Linux and most AAA publishers won't put their games on Linux, but lots of indie games are coming out on Linux. As Tibbles said, look into Wine. It isn't perfect but it can run some older games like Fallout and Skyrim, at decent performance, but it will never be able to run GTA V.

I can run my favourite games (fallout and elder scroll series) but I can't run my second favourite (GTA)....

That's a tough call:(

44 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

Steam currently has about 3800 Linux compatible titles, there is also a compatability layer for linux called wine, which can let you run windows programs.

Just a heads up, wine is (or at least was when I last gave it a shot) fairly hit or miss. There are a lot of games that struggle to run in an emulated environment windows environment like wine. For example, I spent a huge chunk of time getting WoW to work in wine a few years back. I got it "working", but it barely functioned and it was a HUGE hassle. Not to mention i'd have to do it again every time they released a patch. 

Gaming build:

CPU: i7-7700k (5.0ghz, 1.312v)

GPU(s): Asus Strix 1080ti OC (~2063mhz)

Memory: 32GB (4x8) DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3000mhz

Motherboard: Asus Prime z270-AR

PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W

Cooler: Custom water loop (420mm rad + 360mm rad)

Case: Be quiet! Dark base pro 900 (silver)
Primary storage: Samsung 960 evo m.2 SSD (500gb)

Secondary storage: Samsung 850 evo SSD (250gb)

Server build:

OS: Ubuntu server 16.04 LTS (though will probably upgrade to 17.04 for better ryzen support)

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700x

Memory: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB

Motherboard: Asrock B350 m4 pro

PSU: Corsair CX550M

Cooler: Cooler master hyper 212 evo

Storage: 2TB WD Red x1, 128gb OCZ SSD for OS

Case: HAF 932 adv

The only time I had legit issues with playing games was when I was running crossfire R9 290's. Went back to running single GPU only and it's been pretty much smooth sailing. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Too many games that you will never be able to play.

It spoils you.

Steam and Microsoft monopoly. Still better than consoles though.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

9 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

The only time I had legit issues with playing games was when I was running crossfire R9 290's. Went back to running single GPU only and it's been pretty much smooth sailing. 

Seems to be a common theme with multiple gpu's so why even bother, just upgrade to 1080ti and be done with it all.

Console gaming is not my thing, I hate joysticks, love the mouse and keyboard.

With my carpal tunnel I gotta lay off the mouse.

But I can type pretty quickly.

9 hours ago, yathis said:

Seems to be a common theme with multiple gpu's so why even bother, just upgrade to 1080ti and be done with it all.

When it works well, it's fine. And if it works in the few games you play most of the time, then it can be worth it to some people. But IMO, just go with a single more powerful card if you want the most enjoyable gaming experience. ;) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

20 hours ago, Viel said:

Also remember, the toxic community (heard rumours)

There's no such thing as a community that is entirely toxic, and there's no such thing as one that is never toxic. It's the internet, and human nature being what it is, there is always some toxic element. Depending on your engagement with the community, you may see that toxic element more or less often.

The problems you listed are valid concerns that can pop up occasionally on PC, but they can usually be dealt with fairly easily. Game optimization/porting concerns are an issue as well, but there aren't a lot of games so poorly optimized that the PC version runs poorer than the console version. Normally a "bad port" is a game that behaves more similarly to its console version than we are used to seeing on PC.