Ebay: why do people sell used gpus for retail price?

I thought this would be a good discussion, it's kind of a rant.

earlier today I was looking around ebay for a 780 with an incentive to try to get a good deal considering I know alot of people are upgrading to the 780 ti

right now I see the 780 retailing for 500$+ depending on brand (on amazon)

and when I searched it on ebay...

almost EVERYTHING was priced exactly as retail price and the cards are used.

In fact, people were actually selling there 780s used for even more than retail price. (like 100$ more) not even with a free shipping deal or anything

jew%20basic.jpg

All I really want is a 780 for around 400$ (considering the 290 beats it in a lot of benchmarks/or is close)

Not to offend anyone but...Who buys these cards on ebay? Whats the point of buying an open product, used, at retail price+?

Maybe to avoid tax? I don't know 

Why buy from a retailer that probably doesn't have a good return policy as bigger business(Newegg, Amazon, NCIX)?

yeah that pic yeah...yeah....um.....wow.....

New Build:i7 4770k @4.4ghz, Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 GD-65 Gaming, Corsair HX750w, Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm, Corsair Vengeance 12gb DDR3 1866mhz, EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SSC

Old build/Little Bros New PC:Intel i5 3570K @4.2ghz, Stock Intel Cooler, Gigabyte z77m-d3h, Capstone 550w, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 5400rpm, Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3, EVGA GTX 660 SC R.I.P Tyson 12/22/03- 04/17/13

Ebay for electronics means nothing but trouble... by them at retail, for retail.  A friend told me his friend ordered 8GB of RAM from ebay for $300 (2 sticks of 4 2400mhz) and they were already dead... out of the box, they were second hand.  I would wait until Cyber monday or something and then rush and get your 780.  Or maybe you just need to settle with a 770.  Because I would NEVER EVER EVER by anything from ebay or trademe with a risk of it being dead on arrival. Sure, retail also has that chance but I wouldn't buy it off ebay.  My personal preference

Amazon all the way for me!

You can find some good deals on ebay but alot of people try to scam people.

CPU Intel Core i7-3537U @ 3.1GHz  GPU NVIDIA GEFORCE 740M  RAM 4GB DDR3  Storage 500GB 5400 RPM  DISPLAY 1366 x 768 Laptop Display MOBO Laptop MOBO  CASE Laptop Case  PSU Laptop PSU  OS Windows 8.1 x64

Because they think they deserve it. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

atleast if the screw you and the thing is DOA paypal always side with the buyer.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.