Poor performace from a somewhat high spec PC

ssamjh

Hey, everyone, this is my first post here. I figured I should try and ask around for some advice.

So near the end of 2016, I got myself a nice custom desktop built, yeah I didn't do it myself, I paid a little more that I should have to have peace of mind that it was built by someone professional. I didn't have any computer building knowledge and what I did know was for old Windows XP machines.

When I first got it, it had a GTX 960 (can't remember the rest of the model) and no SSD. So this year I upgraded to a GTX 1070 8GB SC, and a 250GB SSD and kept my old HDD for game storage and other stuffs.

When I first got it, I was amazed by the performance, because I only had ever had bad laptops with integrated graphics, but I soon noticed that it was not working as well as some other builds that I have seen on YouTube were, mainly people with the same CPU and GPU. So naturally I figured upgrading to an SSD and 1070 should have helped with better FPS, I was disappointed when I noticed almost no difference.

Notes: This issue has remained through a few reinstalls and on Windows 8 and Windows 10. I have tried DDU before, and I believe I did it correctly, however, I noticed no performance increase.

Here is my current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FrPk7h

So my question is, are there any good tools or ways to test my build to see if it is working as well as other people with the same specs have? Someone did say to me that it could be a power supply problem. Anyway I hope someone is able to give some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Cpu wise cinebench is a really easy way to check CPU performance.

It spits out a score in the end, compare it with other 4790's and tadaa, result :D

GPU wise, no idea D: Someone should make a gpu equivalent of cinebench :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

Cpu wise cinebench is a really easy way to check CPU performance.

It spits out a score in the end, compare it with other 4790's and tadaa, result :D

Thanks for the really fast reply. I will go ahead and run a test now :D

6 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Uningine Heaven, firestrike/firestrike ultimate, timespy and superimposition all work well to do a comparative GPU test.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Cinebench for the CPU

Unigine Superposition for the GPU

I see no real reason for that PSU to be perticularly bad and i doubt thats it, its more likely to be a driver or windows issue so reinstall the GPU drivers, remove them first with DDU and do a clean install. you could also disable game DVR in the Xbox app and shadowplay if you have GeforceExperience installed

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Thanks for the replies. I will run tests on all the programs mentioned and reply with results. I will also add this to the OP, however, I'd like to note that this issue has retained through OS reinstalls and between Windows 8 and 10.

also might be an idea to check your resource usage at idle and when your having these problems

Update all drivers, unistall GPU drivers thro DDU and instal new ones, run some benchmark. Also you psu is lovest of fsp tier this may have inpact. how is your tempeture? and who ta hell buys windows :D these days

4 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Uningine Heaven, firestrike/firestrike ultimate, timespy and superimposition all work well to do a comparative GPU test.

Oh yea heaven, of course :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Download a driver updater (like Driver Booster 4), fully update your windows.

Alright first benchmarks in, with CINEBENCH

CPU:
940d8bc2c3.png

GPU:

e60de5711f.png

4 minutes ago, Justux204 said:

Update all drivers, unistall GPU drivers thro DDU and instal new ones

Do this M8.  Your old 9 series drivers are probably screwing  you over

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

19 minutes ago, ssamjh said:

Hey, everyone, this is my first post here. I figured I should try and ask around for some advice.

So near the end of 2016, I got myself a nice custom desktop built, yeah I didn't do it myself, I paid a little more that I should have to have peace of mind that it was built by someone professional. I didn't have any computer building knowledge and what I did know was for old Windows XP machines.

When I first got it, it had a GTX 960 (can't remember the rest of the model) and no SSD. So this year I upgraded to a GTX 1070 8GB SC, and a 250GB SSD and kept my old HDD for game storage and other stuffs.

When I first got it, I was amazed by the performance, because I only had ever had bad laptops with integrated graphics, but I soon noticed that it was not working as well as some other builds that I have seen on YouTube were, mainly people with the same CPU and GPU. So naturally I figured upgrading to an SSD and 1070 should have helped with better FPS, I was disappointed when I noticed almost no difference.

Notes: This issue has remained through a few reinstalls and on Windows 8 and Windows 10. I have tried DDU before, and I believe I did it correctly, however, I noticed no performance increase.

Here is my current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/FrPk7h

So my question is, are there any good tools or ways to test my build to see if it is working as well as other people with the same specs have? Someone did say to me that it could be a power supply problem. Anyway I hope someone is able to give some advice.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Wait, you mean no difference in FPS or the speed of your PC? I'd try looking at games setting to see any Anti aliassing and scalling issues. 

Just now, Damascus said:

Do this M8.  Your old 9 series drivers are probably screwing  you over

I reinstalled my system when I got my 1070, as I had to install Windows on my SSD.

2 minutes ago, tropicano said:

Download a driver updater (like Driver Booster 4), fully update your windows.

And say goodbye to windows, driver booster only good for nuc system :D next time check what this program install. For newset driver use MB page and windows update

1 minute ago, Its Not Important said:

Wait, you mean no difference in FPS or the speed of your PC? I'd try looking at games setting to see any Anti aliassing and scalling issues. 

Yes, I mean in games. Thanks for the suggestion, I will have a look into it after running some of the benchmarks using the programs provided above :)

4 minutes ago, ssamjh said:

Alright first benchmarks in, with CINEBENCH

-snip-

The CPU cinebench score is a bit low, it should be more around 800 cb. Could you check task manager to see if there's anything in the background using up the CPU? As well, could you also check the CPU frequency in CPU z while running cinebench to see if the CPU is staying at max frequency the whole time?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

3 minutes ago, Justux204 said:

And say goodbye to windows, driver booster only good for nuc system :D next time check what this program install. For newset driver use MB page and windows update

Don't know what are you talking about. I use it on a PC and laptop, and it does a great job.

I also just noticed the GPU score is significantly lower than it should be, it should be around 150 fps. Could you use something like MSI afterburner to also monitor GPU frequency while running it to check frequencies?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, tropicano said:

Don't know what are you talking about. I use it on a PC and laptop, and it does a great job.

On laptop yes, but last 3 times when i did on my main pc i had to reinstall windows. That really depends on hardware you have. Dont know why but when i check what booster install i was surprised for some reason it installed network, audio for nuc system and updated chipset driver (chipset didn't have any update available) installed random drivers. It works but on always

12 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

The CPU cinebench score is a bit low, it should be more around 800 cb. Could you check task manager to see if there's anything in the background using up the CPU? As well, could you also check the CPU frequency in CPU z while running cinebench to see if the CPU is staying at max frequency the whole time?

10 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I also just noticed the GPU score is significantly lower than it should be, it should be around 150 fps. Could you use something like MSI afterburner to also monitor GPU frequency while running it to check frequencies?

Alright I just recorded a video while doing these tests as it is easier to share the information that way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wahCtsmbL58

8 minutes ago, ssamjh said:

Alright I just recorded a video while doing these tests as it is easier to share the information that way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wahCtsmbL58

Interesting you GPU when running openGL, temperature did not increase not even by 2C

Run something like furmark for stability and OCCT for PSU

2 minutes ago, Justux204 said:

Interesting you GPU when running openGL, temperature did not increase not even by 2C

Is this a telltale sign of any problems? Because in most games it will go higher and I do hear the fans working harder.

4 minutes ago, ssamjh said:

Is this a telltale sign of any problems? Because in most games it will go higher and I do hear the fans working harder.

There is a channse that your PSU cant hanndel load, and does not give full neeeded power. If you have friend with who has better PSU ask him if he coult test it for you, or maybe you have spare. Becouse your FSP is from lovest fsp class