Win 10 via flash drive installation & viruses

Farkash

Hello,

Hope it's the right forum to ask this...

I bought a new PC and a Windows 10 separately and now have to install it, obviously :)

I figured it can be done via USB flash drive but worry that doing so will transfer the viruses from my laptop to my new PC. Am I worry for nothing?

I could also make the installation with a CD (but will have to buy an external DVD drive).

Thanks for helping!

Download the Windows Media Creation Tool from Microsoft at the below link.  Scroll down the page towards the bottom and you will find the appropriate link for Windows 10.  You will need a USB flashdrive at least 4 gigs in size.  Just click on the link and follow the instructions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

2 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Download the Windows Media Creation Tool from Microsoft at the below link.  Scroll down the page towards the bottom and you will find the appropriate link for Windows 10.  You will need a USB flashdrive at least 4 gigs in size.  Just click on the link and follow the instructions.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

Hey! Thanks for replying. I am familiar with that process, my qeustion is if it could be infected with viruses from my laptop (which I'll use to make the USB) and then infect my new PC?

If you're concerned about infecting the USB, then why not run something like Windows Defender or download and run Malwarebytes?  If you do that, then run the bug hunters on your laptop then after making sure it was clean, then download and create the Media Creation Tool.  After creating the tool, you could then run your bug hunters on the USB just to be sure there were no problems there either.  At least that is what I would do.

41 minutes ago, Farkash said:

Hey! Thanks for replying. I am familiar with that process, my qeustion is if it could be infected with viruses from my laptop (which I'll use to make the USB) and then infect my new PC?

Use a different PC to make the usb?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It shouldnt be affected since the creation tool get its data from microsoft and isolates itself but if you want to be sure sure use a diffrent pc (be a man and do it on your pc)

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Use a different PC to make the usb?

I don't have one available unfortunately :(  but even if I had... I guess I won't know if it clean or not... Maybe I'm just being paranoid, it's possible :D

8 minutes ago, BarisERY said:

It shouldnt be affected since the creation tool get its data from microsoft and isolates itself but if you want to be sure sure use a diffrent pc (be a man and do it on your pc)

Good to know. It seems like I have to start taking more risks!

2 minutes ago, Farkash said:

I don't have one available unfortunately :(  but even if I had... I guess I won't know if it clean or not... Maybe I'm just being paranoid, it's possible :D

I highly doubt the viruses on your laptop are advanced enough to infect a boot partition on a usb drive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Farkash said:

Good to know. It seems like I have to start taking more risks!

Exactly! Its time to man up!

Like I said before, try using Windows Defender to check your machine for bugs.  Once that is complete, then go to malwarebytes.com and download/install their software.  Once the download/install is complete, the run the malwarebytes software to check if your machine is infected with something stupid like a virus or bug.  If it is, then use that software to get rid of whatever it is.

Once you know the machine is clean, because you did run Windows Defender and Malwarebytes on it, right?  Then click the link and download/create your Windows Media Creation Tool.  Once you create the tool, boot off of it and install windows to your newly debugged and clean machine.

Not that hard once you think about it.

55 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Like I said before, try using Windows Defender to check your machine for bugs.  Once that is complete, then go to malwarebytes.com and download/install their software.  Once the download/install is complete, the run the malwarebytes software to check if your machine is infected with something stupid like a virus or bug.  If it is, then use that software to get rid of whatever it is.

Once you know the machine is clean, because you did run Windows Defender and Malwarebytes on it, right?  Then click the link and download/create your Windows Media Creation Tool.  Once you create the tool, boot off of it and install windows to your newly debugged and clean machine.

Not that hard once you think about it.

Thanks bro, I'm running a Windows Defender scan right now.

If you get ISO directly from Microsoft, its 110% safe. ISO is image of install disc. The USB will be formatted to make it bootable. It's still very rare to get virus that would survive formatting. But if you want, you can always pick new USB for the task.

Needless to say I'm using 10yo stick for Win installs.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

If you get ISO directly from Microsoft, its 110% safe. ISO is image of install disc. The USB will be formatted to make it bootable. It's still very rare to get virus that would survive formatting. But if you want, you can always pick new USB for the task.

Needless to say I'm using 10yo stick for Win installs.

By getting an "ISO direclty from Microsoft" you mean that Media Creation Tool and follow their instruction which will automatically burn the Win 10 installation into the USB?

I didn't fully understand :( English is not my tounge language. And if I got you correctly, the USB is brand new, I bought it yesterday...

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I don't know what 10yo stick means either 

1 hour ago, Farkash said:

By getting an "ISO direclty from Microsoft" you mean that Media Creation Tool and follow their instruction which will automatically burn the Win 10 installation into the USB?

I didn't fully understand :( English is not my tounge language. And if I got you correctly, the USB is brand new, I bought it yesterday...

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but I don't know what 10yo stick means either 

Media creation tool gets it from Microsoft. Or you could download manually. I'm just pointing out how unlikely it is to get virus from that whole process.

10yo stick was meant to say that I'm using USB which at this point has been formatted about 5 times during its 10 years with me. It currently has Win7 installer which I've used once. For current OS on my desktop.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

41 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Media creation tool gets it from Microsoft. Or you could download manually. I'm just pointing out how unlikely it is to get virus from that whole process.

10yo stick was meant to say that I'm using USB which at this point has been formatted about 5 times during its 10 years with me. It currently has Win7 installer which I've used once. For current OS on my desktop.

Thanks!!