Quadro p1000 vs GTX 1070

4K video editing build, using premiere pro. Sales guy told me to go with a quadro p1000, but is a 1070 better?

Yeah... 1070

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1070 is alot better unless you are going to use 10 bit monitors as "counsumer" gpu cannot output 10 bit display signal.

2 minutes ago, Herrome said:

4K video editing build, using premiere pro. Sales guy told me to go with a quadro p1000, but is a 1070 better?

1070 cause it is cheaper and if you plan gaming then you will have awesome in game peroformance. Plz tell that sell guy to commit suicide. Quadro is mostly used for CAD and large companies use quadro for rendering heavy scenes for movies so they buy Quadro P6000 or M6000

My Rig : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MTBd2R

My VM Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/rPR6gL

My Backup Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRQYYr

My Storage Server : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tzzR9W

My Router : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bMPN4C

My Laptop : Lenovo Z575 with 6 GB RAM (1866 MHz), Crucial MX300 525 GB & Western Digital 2 TB (Removed optical drive)

Never listen to someone in a retail store. They don't always know what they are talking about. There are those people that say "oh quadros are good for editing because nvidia said it was" and there are others that say "The P1000 is a good card, but the 1070 is better because it has more cores, faster bandwidth, faster clocks etc".

The geek himself.

It depends on the overall workload and how much you want reliability. From https://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/01/two-steps-forward-a-review-of-the-2013-mac-pro/?comments=1&post=26120781

Davidoff wrote:

As a general statement that is nonsense, sorry. It may well be that some of the overclocked cards crap out, but there is no difference in reliability between a Quadro/FirePro and say PNY's and Sapphire's Radeon equivalents with stock coolers (both brands are the only respective board partners for Quadro and FirePro cards).

Professional cards are not necessarily more reliable than "gaming" cards.

Do you have the actual numbers to back that up?

Speaking from experience (other non-GFX components in the "pro" league) I would say that the return rate of consumer hardware is at least twice as high. Professional hardware often comes with an on-site warranty and no vendor wants to actually have to pay for a technician to show up on your dorsteep to swap a faulty part. It is simply too expensive. Professional parts need to have a significantly lower return rate to ensure the support cost doesn't explode - plus customer get unhappy.

I would love to hear where you got to the conclusion you stated above; because it is the exact opposite of my experience as an IT pro.

- Jesper

There was also a post on their forums about how a user used a batch of consumer grade parts for workstation stuff, because hey, they were cheaper and should save them money right? Well turned out he had more downtime on the consumer grade parts than the workstation grade ones and basically the net gain was zero, if not negative.

11 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

unless u want 10 bit color.

I thought the new GPUs support 10 bit in the Nvidia control panel

27 minutes ago, Finboy said:

1070 is alot better unless you are going to use 10 bit monitors as "counsumer" gpu cannot output 10 bit display signal.

Radeons can do 10-bit )))

GTX 1070 is way way way faster, what prices are they at?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Is the only reason to use a quadro is for the 10btc?

2 minutes ago, Herrome said:

double precision

production software support

but that specific quadro p1000 is a pile of garbage in terms of performance

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

DP performance on Pascal is terrible (It's 1/32 FP32) except for the GP100, regardless of what market it's for.

#rekt

17 minutes ago, Herrome said:

Other reason is that the Quadros have rear facing connectors. It doesn't matter so much for PCs, but for servers that can pack 10 of these, it's pretty much required that they have rear power connectors (not enough height for side facing ones like the consumer GPUs).

Also some of the high end consumer GPUs for Nvidia have 10 bit color output.

The majority of the reason of getting a quadro is for the application support. Some features of some programs don't function without it (Like solidworks). Also if you handle really large geometry heavy 3D projects, the tessellation optimization the Quadros / FirePros (Radeon Pro) allow them to handle much more without lagging down.