Slim / Micro 6950X

Looking for some recommendations on cases and boards for a slim compact 6950X build that would sit on top of my desk and not take up too much space?

Looking at a Micro ATX board, 1 PCIe slot for an NVidia or AMD Graphics slot, 2 other PCIe slots for M.2 NVME Drives on small boards, an onboard NVME Drive. 

Trying to identify the case / board / graphics card combo that is small enough to sit on a desk and not be a monster case.

The build will only be editing videos/photos - not a gaming machine, will end up with 32GB of RAM.

Looking for examples and thoughts and build examples from the community if anyone has done something similar with the high TDP of a 6950X.

Any budget limitation? I mean you are paying for a $1000 cpu  but just askin

Why not go with Ryzen or Threadripper?

You probably will want to go for something along the lines of a single slot GTX 1050ti (as you won't be using the GPU much), and using M.2 slots for your SSD

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Any budget limitation? I mean you are paying for a $1000 cpu  but just askin

Good question - I am pulling the CPU from a larger desktop machine, so thats already purchased - I think Id like to get Board/Case/Graphics/RAM under $1k as I already have the NVME drives (from another machine as well). 

I have a monster X99 build that I am modifying for something else now - so its a longer story - but what I really need help with is the case sizes being sleek and small enough to not be this large box on the desk. 

Just now, dustinF said:

Good question - I am pulling the CPU from a larger desktop machine, so thats already purchased - I think Id like to get Board/Case/Graphics/RAM under $1k as I already have the NVME drives (from another machine as well). 

I have a monster X99 build that I am modifying for something else now - so its a longer story - but what I really need help with is the case sizes being sleek and small enough to not be this large box on the desk. 

The issue will be cooling tho. I would take a look at the fractal design core series and see if there's something you like that can handle a decent cooler.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Why not go with Ryzen or Threadripper?

You probably will want to go for something along the lines of a single slot GTX 1050ti (as you won't be using the GPU much), and using M.2 slots for your SSD

Solid point - I was trying to keep my original post simple but I have a majority of the components I am trying to find someone or a set up that has already been done a bit - or someone that has gone through this smaller build with this CPU and thoughts behind still maintaining a solid Graphics card for Premier, Photoshop and such.

This looks pretty small

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WJOXW96/

Supports micro ATX

But as mentioned, cooling is something to think of

Also I usually check pcpp for build logs, you can filter by which case and cpu they used too, gives you an idea how they look/work. Some people include short description of parts https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/

Thanks - doesnt look like many people have done this - I'll check more of the linus videos to see what those builds look like and it might just take an investigation of purchases and builds and returns.... 

I don't think u can go mrico ATX or anything with x99 really don't think u are going be able to since u need 3 pcie slots.

19 hours ago, Leshya said:

You can, ASROCK has motherboards, specifically X99 for this form factor.

Dose it have 3 Pci-E slots tho? He said he wanted one for a gpu and 2 for mnev drives or something

20 hours ago, Leshya said:

You can, ASROCK has motherboards, specifically X99 for this form factor.

This is the motherboard series I have been reviewing as it does have some very nice X99 boards which might fit the smaller form factors

26 minutes ago, cowpker4life said:

Dose it have 3 Pci-E slots tho? He said he wanted one for a gpu and 2 for mnev drives or something

Excellent point - I am seeing that if I want to use a real GPU they are mostly double sized and block the second PCIe slot, which means I can only use the M.2 on board and then use one full PCIe slot for the GPU and then only have access to one other which can hold the M.2 to PCIe to hold the drive... 

5 minutes ago, dustinF said:

Excellent point - I am seeing that if I want to use a real GPU they are mostly double sized and block the second PCIe slot, which means I can only use the M.2 on board and then use one full PCIe slot for the GPU and then only have access to one other which can hold the M.2 to PCIe to hold the drive... 

If you water cool the gpu with a custom water loop you could prob use both the pcie slots if u want to go that route. There is a gtx 1070 that is single slot tho that galxy makes.

Well you could prob get a ATX bored into a micro ATX case or mini ATX case with some case modding and what not now that I thibk of it I wouldn't know the case for it tho. Could ask on the case part of the fourm might be able get some help there.