AIO for OCed 7700k?

Hi guys!

I took an inconsiderate opportunity and got my hands on CoolerMaster SEIDON 240V and went ahead and mounted it on my 7700k.

It is sitting on Gigabyte's Z170-HD3P motherboard and yes - I did update to the latest BIOS, which comes after the CPU support one and has a changelog of "VCore adjustments"

Now, idling temps - I couldn't be happier with. The CPU drops down to as low as 26 degrees and under normal load usually doesn't go (much) above 60. I am more than happy with those healthy temps, so I guess the cooler does what it's supposed to. CPU turbos at 4.4 GHz on it's own, etc.

Now, I am a newbie when it comes to overclocking (i.e. haven't done it since 1366) but I do know the basics. So I tried a few approaches:

1. Using Gigabyte's "EasyTune" software - the completely idiot-proof way.

2. Using BIOS pre-configured profiles for 7700k specifically (4,8 and 5,0 profiles, that is)

3. Making my own profile - driving voltage down as low as possible so system won't freeze.

I have wasted a week and this is just not working. So either I am doing something wrong, or this cooler simply cannot take this CPU.

Now, I have heard that with these AIO coolers you simply cannot control the speed of the pump, and only of the fans. Is that true or not? If so - then the temperature burst when running LinX starts to make A LOT of sense.

With either one of the 3 options I tried running LinX results in a computer shut down. That is after I see 100 degrees in HWMonitor....

To be truthful, I don't think I actually NEED the 4,8 GHz. And of course - that's not why I do it. But I am starting to think either I got a really hot CPU, or a really really bad cooler. At least it's very very quiet!

Has anyone had any experience with that particular cooler? Am I looking to get something out of it which simply is not there?

All 7700K's run very hot when heavily OC'ed. It's because of the crap paste Intel used as the TIM under the IHS (lid). A good AIO like the Kraken X62 or your pick of 240/280mm Corsair coolers will help somewhat. But if you want to get high overclocks while keeping temperatures under control, you'll have to delid

I did this with a 7700K I bought a few months ago, before I sold it to a friend. OC'ed to 5 Ghz at approx 1.37v. Temps were over 90C. I then delidded the CPU and replaced the horse spunk with Conductonaut liquid metal. Temps were a lot more reasonable, maxing out at about 75C during Prime95 and AIDA64 stress tests. 

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

56 minutes ago, littlegreen said:

Hi guys!

I took an inconsiderate opportunity and got my hands on CoolerMaster SEIDON 240V and went ahead and mounted it on my 7700k.

It is sitting on Gigabyte's Z170-HD3P motherboard and yes - I did update to the latest BIOS, which comes after the CPU support one and has a changelog of "VCore adjustments"

Now, idling temps - I couldn't be happier with. The CPU drops down to as low as 26 degrees and under normal load usually doesn't go (much) above 60. I am more than happy with those healthy temps, so I guess the cooler does what it's supposed to. CPU turbos at 4.4 GHz on it's own, etc.

Now, I am a newbie when it comes to overclocking (i.e. haven't done it since 1366) but I do know the basics. So I tried a few approaches:

2. Using BIOS pre-configured profiles for 7700k specifically (4,8 and 5,0 profiles, that is)

3. Making my own profile - driving voltage down as low as possible so system won't freeze.

I have wasted a week and this is just not working. So either I am doing something wrong, or this cooler simply cannot take this CPU.

Now, I have heard that with these AIO coolers you simply cannot control the speed of the pump, and only of the fans. Is that true or not? If so - then the temperature burst when running LinX starts to make A LOT of sense.

With either one of the 3 options I tried running LinX results in a computer shut down. That is after I see 100 degrees in HWMonitor....

To be truthful, I don't think I actually NEED the 4,8 GHz. And of course - that's not why I do it. But I am starting to think either I got a really hot CPU, or a really really bad cooler. At least it's very very quiet!

Has anyone had any experience with that particular cooler? Am I looking to get something out of it which simply is not there?

I've done a delid on my 7700K with a 5ghz overclock at 1.28v. Idle is around 30 degrees and gets around 50 degrees while gaming. Using the Kraken X62 (has adjustable pump) with Noctua fans.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

1 hour ago, littlegreen said:

Hi guys!

Make sure you set the pump input to max, performance or whatever options your mobo has... and the fans for it can be wahtever you want, silent/performance or a fan curve. That's how I had my 120mm seidon on my 6700k and it performed great, had that OC'ed to 4.7Ghz across all the cores on 1.25V IIRC, max temp was mid-high 70s with peaks into the low 80s. Obviously you'll have to adjust yours accordingly, as it will also depend on the other cooling you have in your case/chassis... mine was set as exhaust on the top of the case, but I had a nice 200mm fan for intake, a noctua 140mm on silent for exhaust at the back to help cool the VRMs and mobo, and my case was an "open plan" cube case.. so airflow was very very good.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Where I am struggling is here:

According to my BIOS the pump is at max at all times. Peformance profile or manual curve - does not make a difference. Once the stress test begins temperature rockets so fast the computer just shuts down.

I was told these pumps can NOT be controlled by the BIOS - is this true? Mine only has a 3 pin connector - so it makes sense. I was told they control themselves using internal thermometers. 

Since the CPU is somewhat new - should I try to get it exchanged? I think I'm still under a month with Amazon. I have heard some are cooler than others.