Former CS 1.6 Pro Gamer wants to buy new monitor

Melodist

Howdy fellas,

I used to play CS 1.6 competitively a few years ago and want to get back into gaming. With the monitor market being so over saturated right now, I really have a hard time choosing the right one. I do would love to get the best monitor to properly react in CS GO but I also began to appreciate IPS displays. Well with all being said, I'm just curious whether for me it would make a moderate difference between going with the TN 1ms and IPS 4ms panel? I'm not just open to professional responses: if you've got something to contribute to this topic, let me please know.

Just get the cheapest TN 1080p 144hz monitor you can find (since "typically" they have the fastest responding panels). It still doesn't beat CRT's though.

Most pros plat at 1024 with black bars anyway. Besides - 24" is the sweet spot for most users.

I'm curious though: are you on ESEA? Are you an old timer from the CAL days?

Edited by Lt.Speirs

i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz |:| Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H |:| Noctua NH-D14 |:| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti XE |:| G.Skill 8GB 1600 |:| Samsung EVO 250GB |:| WD Caviar Blue 1TB |:| XFX 750W BE |:| Corsair 450D |:|
ASUS PG348Q |:| Moon Neo 230HAD Dac/Amp |:| Sennheiser HD 800 |:| Logitech G900 |:| Ducky Premier (MX-Reds)

3 minutes ago, Lt.Speirs said:

Just get the cheapest TN 1080p 144hz monitor you can find (since "typically" they have the fastest responding panels). It still doesn't beat CRT's though.

Most pros plat at 1024 with black bars anyway. 24" is the sweet spot for most users.

But 165Hz ;) 

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

3 minutes ago, Arcanekitten said:

But 165Hz ;) 

Well if you want to debate details then there's monitors capable of hitting 240hz as well.. There's a certain give/take - and a point where diminishing returns takes effect.

i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz |:| Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H |:| Noctua NH-D14 |:| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Ti XE |:| G.Skill 8GB 1600 |:| Samsung EVO 250GB |:| WD Caviar Blue 1TB |:| XFX 750W BE |:| Corsair 450D |:|
ASUS PG348Q |:| Moon Neo 230HAD Dac/Amp |:| Sennheiser HD 800 |:| Logitech G900 |:| Ducky Premier (MX-Reds)

So you really benefit from a TN with 1 ms heavily vs  IPS 4 ms? I mean, comparing the good ones.

27 minutes ago, Melodist said:

So you really benefit from a TN with 1 ms heavily vs  IPS 4 ms? I mean, comparing the good ones.

Not quite all that much, I personally have no issue playing on my 29UM68-P which is on 80hz, you should understand that those ms usually refers to GTG (Grey To Grey) which is how long it takes for a pixel to change its colour or turn on and off, which to be frank it will help to avoid ghosting effect but it is not the input delay at all, a 5ms monitor might even beat a 1ms monitor in response timing.

The key is pretty much make a detailed research on the offerings from the main brands once you're absolutely sure what you want, IPS models are much better nowadays and already feature great response times while retaining much superior image quality, their main issue is getting past 100hz yet unlike the TN panels that can get to 144hz and beyond.

Are you buying something specifically to play CS:GO? if so like stated a 24inches 1920x1080p 144hz panel is probably the best cost-to-benefice, pair it with a GTX 1070 and you're set for butter smooth quick reaction experience.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

2 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Not quite all that much, I personally have no issue playing on my 29UM68-P which is on 80hz, you should understand that those ms usually refers to GTG (Grey To Grey) which is how long it takes for a pixel to change its colour or turn on and off, which to be frank it will help to avoid ghosting effect but it is not the input delay at all, a 5ms monitor might even beat a 1ms monitor in response timing.

The key is pretty much make a detailed research on the offerings from the main brands once you're absolutely sure what you want, IPS models are much better nowadays and already feature great response times while retaining much superior image quality, their main issue is getting past 100hz yet unlike the TN panels that can get to 144hz and beyond.

Are you buying something specifically to play CS:GO? if so like stated a 24inches 1920x1080p 144hz panel is probably the best cost-to-benefice, pair it with a GTX 1070 and you're set for butter smooth quick reaction experience.

Thanks, btw, your profile picture is quiet a powerful blast when the notification alert kicks in :D

I already own a GTX 1080 from MSI, X99 6900k. I'd like to get an IPS panel that allows me to also play CS GO competitively, if that's possible?

3 minutes ago, Melodist said:

Thanks, btw, your profile picture is quiet a powerful blast when the notification alert kicks in :D

I already own a GTX 1080 from MSI, X99 6900k. I'd like to get an IPS panel that allows me to also play CS GO competitively, if that's possible?

How much are you willing to pay for a new monitor

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

How much are you willing to pay for a new monitor

Around 500 bucks, don't mind buying it used.

Just now, Melodist said:

CS GO competitively, if that's possible?

First of all, thank you for the complement on the pic ^^

Secondly, a 6900k + 1080? that is very impressive, how much are you willing to pay for this monitor? offerings like the Acer x34 are pure luxury for instance, nowadays everything is supporting ultrawide just fine and that monitor is a blast, 100hz on G-Sync plus one of the best IPS panels on the market, you'll get the best image quality ever with the smoothest gameplay of all.

And when you go for CS:GO you can turn g-sync off and overclock its frequency to 120hz leaving v-sync off, a 1080 will still be capable of pushing 120fps + even on ultrawide 1440p.

Considering you got a workstation there you probably also do a lot of work on the rig right? the monitor would certainly increase your productivity and give a better general feeling.

Less expensive options would probably lay on good 75hz or higher IPS 2560x1440p monitors, by preference 27 inches.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Melodist said:

Around 500 bucks, don't mind buying it used.

For $500 thats like the starting price for 144hz ips 1440p freesync panels. 

Gsync panels costing at around $600+

If I were you, and money is kinda a problem. Just buy a decent TN panel, I suggest the s2417DG

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

First of all, thank you for the complement on the pic ^^

Secondly, a 6900k + 1080? that is very impressive, how much are you willing to pay for this monitor? offerings like the Acer x34 are pure luxury for instance, nowadays everything is supporting ultrawide just fine and that monitor is a blast, 100hz on G-Sync plus one of the best IPS panels on the market, you'll get the best image quality ever with the smoothest gameplay of all.

And when you go for CS:GO you can turn g-sync off and overclock its frequency to 120hz leaving v-sync off, a 1080 will still be capable of pushing 120fps + even on ultrawide 1440p.

Considering you got a workstation there you probably also do a lot of work on the rig right? the monitor would certainly increase your productivity and give a better general feeling.

Less expensive options would probably lay on good 75hz or higher IPS 2560x1440p monitors, by preference 27 inches.

Yeah, my Avid Pro Tools 12 HD System computer, I have separate boot drives for gaming, work and office via the dualboot menu (in my case it is quad boot heh). How about the XB270HU? I've seen a few Dells come with a factory calibration sheet which is very nice as well, dunno how they perform reaction input delay and response-wise though?

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

For $500 thats like the starting price for 144hz ips 1440p freesync panels. 

Gsync panels costing at around $600+

If I were you, and money is kinda a problem. Just buy a decent TN panel, I suggest the s2417DG

I've seen the XB270HUs for between 300 and 400. I wish the pg279q would appear on the used market :)

2 minutes ago, Melodist said:

?

I'd say it is a terrific pick, input delay on it is one of the best for IPS for sure, it won't be as fast as TN models however I doubt that even at your pro-level of skill in Counter-Strike you would notice it, and your gains in image quality will be noticeable.

Strong candidate in my opinion.

Personal Desktop":

4 minutes ago, Melodist said:

I've seen the XB270HUs for between 300 and 400.

Its a good monitor. Some say better than the rival PG278Q. Little to no overshoot. Great colors/contrast gamma