Upgrade to Ryzen 5 or FX-8350?

So I was looking to upgrade my CPU soon, as the one I have currently (FX-4300 @ 4Ghz) is kinda holding me back. I'm an AMD guy so I've been looking at The FX-8350 and Ryzen 5. Here are the pros and cons for both:

FX-8350

Pros:

Won't need new mobo

Won't need new RAM

Familiar with current mobo's BIOS

Good experience with FX processors and overclocking them.

2x the Amount of cores and threads.

Cons:

Still AM3+

Still DDR3

Getting slightly old.

May need new cooler if I get the CPU only deal. (This only applies if I have to buy it instead of getting it for Christmas.) 

Ryzen 5

Pros

AM4 So better performance

More L1 and L2 cache.

Would upgrade to DDR4

Comes with Wraith Cooler

Newest Processor around from AMD

Cons:

A bit more expensive.

Need to buy DDR4 which is still expensive.

Need AM4 mobo, which again is expensive.

I'd have to completely disassemble My PC to get the mobo out. 

Not sure if AM4 is as reliable as good old AM3+ is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm Really tight on budget so the max I could spend is $400-$500.

Any thoughts?

Ryzen 5 1600. FX isn't that good.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

You definitely want Ryzen 5, The Instruction per clock drastically improved. The extra cost is a good investment

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

1 minute ago, Kevo05s said:

You definitely want Ryzen 5, The Instruction per clock drastically improved. The extra cost is a good investment

But still, would it be worth the $600+ I would have to spend? My system isn't that bad with the FX series, as With my little 4300 I've gotten 100+ FPS is most games I play. I just want to have a better CPU so in CPU heavy games like CS:GO,GMod and stuff like that It performs better. I really want the Ryzen, but I don't know if I could afford it or get it for a holiday or something. Im kinda limited on budget so I should have probably mentioned it in the post.

Give us a set amount of money to work with but you can ask different family members for different things (it most likely will work or ask for money)

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Just now, \\\NorthBoundWolf/// said:

But still, would it be worth the $600+ I would have to spend? My system isn't that bad with the FX series, as With my little 4300 I've gotten 100+ FPS is most games I play. I just want to have a better CPU so in CPU heavy games like CS:GO,GMod and stuff like that It performs better. I really want the Ryzen, but I don't know if I could afford it or get it for a holiday or something. Im kinda limited on budget so I should have probably mentioned it in the post.

Still, the FX platform is dead, the new platform is here for a while, the 600$ is a better price/performance than upgrading your FX if you look at it on the long run (more than 6 months)... if later you upgrade your graphics  card, a 1060 will be bottlenecked even by the FX9590... so yes it is still worth it

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

19 hours ago, Kevo05s said:

Still, the FX platform is dead, the new platform is here for a while, the 600$ is a better price/performance than upgrading your FX if you look at it on the long run (more than 6 months)... if later you upgrade your graphics  card, a 1060 will be bottlenecked even by the FX9590... so yes it is still worth it

I don't use Nvidia cards. I have a RX470.

19 hours ago, Strike105X said:

What exactly is your current mobo ?, Do you plan on overclocking, i will be honest going with an FX83XX will only improve things for a few games that can take proper advantage of it, like BF1/4, Crysis 3, Witcher 3. It will however improve things drastically for everything else like video editing, or even the general use of the PC.

My setup is on my profile.

I don't use Nvidia cards. I have a RX470.

Your current card is STILL held back by your current CPU, and a new FX would NOT help that much, the Ryzen one IS the way to go here, and heck, with a Ryzen CPU, you'd probably get decent performance in crossfire

So How much It would cost for each:

FX-8350

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD8350FRHKBOX-FX-8350-8-Core-Processor/dp/B009O7YUF6 ($124.17)

Ryzen 5

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gBDrXH ($451.95)

19 hours ago, Kevo05s said:

Your current card is STILL held back by your current CPU, and a new FX would NOT help that much, the Ryzen one IS the way to go here, and heck, with a Ryzen CPU, you'd probably get decent performance in crossfire

Im aware that my 4300 is bottlenecking it.

However, how is the 8350 bottlenecking it? It has nearly 5x the performance of the 4300.

FX-8350

https://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD8350FRHKBOX-FX-8350-8-Core-Processor/dp/B009O7YUF6 ($124.17)

Ryzen 5

you can substract around 60$ off of your Ryzen 5 build, because you could get that by selling the older stuff

FX-8350

Ryzen 5

Do you happen to get a microcenter near you? If so you can get it for cheaper. Also you don't need an aio, you could even use the stock cooler if wanted, the only difference between the 1600 and 1600x is the clock speed I believe, so you could save some money going that route

Just now, Kevo05s said:

you can substract around 60$ off of your Ryzen 5 build, because you could get that by selling the older stuff

Not counting that, as It's not deducting from the Price of Sale. Its like a rebate.

However, how is the 8350 bottlenecking it? It has nearly 5x the performance of the 4300.

No it does not. It has the same amount of instruction per clock, and a few extra cores, that 95% of the games and software can't use properly, so we're talking about a 10-15% improvement at best

Changed the risen 5 1600x to just a 1600. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hg9Qnn.

$419

You could also get something like a 212 evo or a cryorig h7, and as I said check if you live by a microcenter as I think you get some money off when buying a cpu and mobo,

After doing some family talking, This is what i've decided on.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dh96d6

Thanks for all of your input.

Ill update when I get the parts. (Christmas.)

If I didn't know better, I would swear that 95 percent of the people pushing for the new Ryzen chips must have some sort of background deal with AMD for pushing it so hard.

Sure, the Ryzen could be a good deal for the right person, but don't forget, with the new Ryzen comes a new motherboard and with the new motherboard comes the new DDR4 ram.  So when you commit to a new Ryzen motherboard, you are also committing to the other stuff as well.

If you are satisfied and happy with the motherboard and the ram that you have, then go with an upgraded CPU.  I did and I have not had a moments regret.  I went from the AMD FX6100 to the AMD FX8370 and I did see a big difference and I'm satisified with it.  I currently have it overclocked to 4.5gigs.

Just think of all the money I saved and also how long my current setup will last.

Good Luck.

Oops, forgot.  With the new Ryzen comes the new CPU cooler as well.

2 hours ago, \\\NorthBoundWolf/// said:

After doing some family talking, This is what i've decided on.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dh96d6

Thanks for all of your input.

Ill update when I get the parts. (Christmas.)

Christmas!?!? Why are you making a thread now. Ryzen 5 gen 3 will be out by then xD

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

2 hours ago, Jumper118 said:

Christmas!?!? Why are you making a thread now. Ryzen 5 gen 3 will be out by then xD

Because if you had read the entire post, you would know I'm 14 and have no source of income. My birthday is early in the year. Christmas is the only real option if I get a Ryzen CPU. If I had went with the FX, I could have gotten it by doing a few odd jobs for a few weeks. $370 is a lot of money to make by getting $20 every other week or so.

The FX 8350 with a 470 wouldn't be a terrible pairing.  You'll see some added benefit in multithreaded optimized games life Battlefield.  Other games optimized for just 4 core or less won't see any improvement.  So look into what games exactly will benefit from the extra cores.

5 hours ago, Strike105X said:

Please pay a bit of attention to the thread before hand though, an FX needs a decent power delivery as well, his current motherboard has a weak one, so for him to upgrade his CPU he would also need to upgrade his mobo... If going that far i have to agree with the others that even with cost being taken into account going for a Ryzen Rig is just the better deal for the money.

Not for FX 8000 though, right?  9000 cpus are the ones with absurd power requirements.  Most AM3+ boards should work for him.

Yes, Ryzen 5 is going to be a better performer, and anybody starting fresh should go that way, but if you just want a stopgap upgrade and buy yourself time till you have steady income, you could get an FX-8k and go for something better later like Ryzen 7.  

The mobo he has only really supports CPUs with up to 95W TDP and the 8350 is 125W. It could work but I wouldn't call it stable and/or safe.

12 hours ago, Biggerboot said:

The FX 8350 with a 470 wouldn't be a terrible pairing.  You'll see some added benefit in multithreaded optimized games life Battlefield.  Other games optimized for just 4 core or less won't see any improvement.  So look into what games exactly will benefit from the extra cores.

I agree with this 

Not for FX 8000 though, right?

Yes, for 8000 as well. 

9000 cpus are the ones with absurd power requirements.  Most AM3+ boards should work for him.

I don't know if most of not, but there are quite a few AM3+ boards that were not designed for the 125W parts, don't list them in their supported CPU list, will struggle at full load and certainly won't handle any overclock without frying. 

19 hours ago, kb5zue said:

If you are satisfied and happy with the motherboard and the ram that you have, then go with an upgraded CPU.  

I'd say go with $0 spending and stick to this rig, considering it is handling the games he plays well, and his only concern is CSGO which won't benefit from more cores.

OP, have you considered a mild overclock for your 4300?

I did and I have not had a moments regret.  I went from the AMD FX6100 to the AMD FX8370 and I did see a big difference and I'm satisified with it.  I currently have it overclocked to 4.5gigs.

Which clocks did you use the 6100 at? Also, you were going from Bulldozer to Piledriver, while for him it would be Piledriver to Piledriver, so no IPC gains. 

All in all, it's only the cache that will make a difference in his use case. 

Oops, forgot.  With the new Ryzen comes the new CPU cooler as well.

Yes, it comes as in it comes inside the box of the Ryzen CPU :P

Mind you, I do support not overspending and even not upgrading at all if he's mostly happy with the current performance. 

I also think that, while the 1600 is great value, if all he wants is a small bump from his 4300,and if he decides to go Ryzen, he may want to consider the cheaper 1400 as well. 

22 minutes ago, Biggerboot said:

Not for FX 8000 though, right?  9000 cpus are the ones with absurd power requirements.  Most AM3+ boards should work for him.

Yes, Ryzen 5 is going to be a better performer, and anybody starting fresh should go that way, but if you just want a stopgap upgrade and buy yourself time till you have steady income, you could get an FX-8k and go for something better later like Ryzen 7.  

Most newer AM3+  970 boards that are around the $75-$100 price range are fine these days but older 970 chipset boards usually had 4+1 and stuff and the 8xxx series need at least 6+2 but preferably an 8+2 power phase.

i5 6600k @ 4.4ghz on Hyper 212 Evo

Powercolor RX 480 8Gb Red Devil @1330Mhz

Bottom line:  Don't be a spaz or an 800lb gorilla when installing your expensive CPU, and you won't have any problems. --Phate.exe

6 hours ago, \\\NorthBoundWolf/// said:

Because if you had read the entire post, you would know I'm 14 and have no source of income. My birthday is early in the year. Christmas is the only real option if I get a Ryzen CPU. If I had went with the FX, I could have gotten it by doing a few odd jobs for a few weeks. $370 is a lot of money to make by getting $20 every other week or so.

Yeah but still pointless making a thread now. Like I said by Christmas all pricing will have changed and newer things will have come out. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016