Upgrade to Ryzen 5 or FX-8350?

13 hours ago, \\\NorthBoundWolf/// said:

I'm Really tight on budget so the max I could spend is $400-$500.

Any thoughts?

As someone on the FX platform since it's launch 2011~, I'd go with saving the money and getting something newer. Graphics card upgrade can be used on the next system so may as well upgrade there.

As for the cpu, if you have some stuff to sell and try an fx8 chip may as well, but I wouldn't spend money on it at this point. The  FX6 or a secondhand FX8300 are very cheap upgrade, both overclock very well, depends on your boards power delivery.  

I'm currently running

-FX-8300@4.3ghz on a Asrock 990fx extreme 3(4+1 design,better than the average 4+1 but still kinda meh)

-R9 Fury Nitro

-16gb kingston 1866.

Most games I play at 1440 high/ultra without issues, frame rates are stable around 55-60 most of the time. But at this stage of hardware I wouldn't spend money to get this kind of performance out of this setup as a max. The whole "FX is still good for dx12 and multi thread games" thing is a little inflated and still not really worth it.

TLDR: If that's all you got atm buy a better GPU (since it can always carry over to the next rig in 6-10months), swap or sell shit for a secondhand fx cpu that's better than what you've got. Otherwise save some cash for something new.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

6 hours ago, Jumper118 said:

Yeah but still pointless making a thread now. Like I said by Christmas all pricing will have changed and newer things will have come out. 

So I can't decide what I want now, so I have more time to change it or possible tweak the items? Yes, the prices will probably drop by then, but thats fine, lower prices will make it even better. 

This isn't a question.  Ryzen 5 all the way.

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

9 minutes ago, techstorm970 said:

This isn't a question.  Ryzen 5 all the way.

Unlike some people, I can't blow $4,400 on a PC. It was a very real option to just get an FX-8350. However, because of feedback from people I think I'm going with the risen.

Okay, I don't believe that people know that I DON'T WANT TO SPEND A LOT OF MONEY.

I wanted to upgrade my CPU because my current one was slowing me down, and I wanted better performance. Please Keep in mind with your responses, I can't spend a whole lot of money ($400-$500 MAX) and people aren't taking that into account. Granted, there have been some really, really helpful people there, but its mostly people just yelling RYZEN! without any real reasons, or helpful advice on where to buy or what components to use. I came here for help, not to be yelled at to force my family to spend our entire savings account on me. I thank those who are really trying to help me out, I really appreciate that, but If you're going to say something like "Who wants the FX series? Its garbage compared to Ryzen." Just leave. The FX-8350 is a VERY real option for me.

TLDR: Don't just yell "Get Ryzen" at me, give me reasons why.

ya kinda glossed over WHY? you have to upgrade. since the pricing isn't agreeable at this time, why the intense pressure on upgrading.

system prolly is still fine, just not XXX (holding you back). accepting a $400 upgrade gets you 10 more FPS in a particular game isn't really an upgrade worth consideration.

also, there is selling your older hardware to offset the costing.

what does holding you back mean?

1 minute ago, airdeano said:

ya kinda glossed over WHY? you have to upgrade. since the pricing isn't agreeable at this time, why the intense pressure on upgrading.

system prolly is still fine, just not XXX (holding you back). accepting a $400 upgrade gets you 10 more FPS in a particular game isn't really an upgrade worth consideration.

also, there is selling your older hardware to offset the costing.

what does holding you back mean?

My RX470 from XFX is being held back by my FX-4300. I need to upgrade my CPU anyways, Windows feels sluggish now that I have all my steam library installed.

again, held back in what? gaming, lack of FPS? not able to transcode vids? cant watch streams?

you're making it out like the GPU is being bottlenecked by the 4300, in what?

if windows is sluggish, sounds like other issues than a CPU/GPU bottleneck.. 

blowing money on side grading is not the answer. 

1 hour ago, \\\NorthBoundWolf/// said:

So I can't decide what I want now, so I have more time to change it or possible tweak the items? Yes, the prices will probably drop by then, but thats fine, lower prices will make it even better. 

Nope. That like deciding what car to buy 20 years before you buy one. Pc moves fast ya know. It's ain't like consoles where you get 8 years to choose which you want. New stuff comes out all the time. 

Also you could sell your rx470 and get an upgrade to ryzen 5 and gtx1060 with the money :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

On 6/9/2017 at 4:21 PM, kb5zue said:

If I didn't know better, I would swear that 95 percent of the people pushing for the new Ryzen chips must have some sort of background deal with AMD for pushing it so hard.

Sure, the Ryzen could be a good deal for the right person, but don't forget, with the new Ryzen comes a new motherboard and with the new motherboard comes the new DDR4 ram.  So when you commit to a new Ryzen motherboard, you are also committing to the other stuff as well.

If you are satisfied and happy with the motherboard and the ram that you have, then go with an upgraded CPU.  I did and I have not had a moments regret.  I went from the AMD FX6100 to the AMD FX8370 and I did see a big difference and I'm satisified with it.  I currently have it overclocked to 4.5gigs.

Just think of all the money I saved and also how long my current setup will last.

Good Luck.

Oops, forgot.  With the new Ryzen comes the new CPU cooler as well.

1. I have never even owned an AMD CPU

2. I'm always looking at bang for your buck

3. He asked between a very old gen that has no support and a new gen

4. His motherboard would also need to be changed, and they are hard to get since everything is Ryzen now

5. I will not encourage someone to give his hard to get money on a dead platform that wont make much difference for him.

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2017 at 10:22 AM, Jumper118 said:

Nope. That like deciding what car to buy 20 years before you buy one. Pc moves fast ya know. It's ain't like consoles where you get 8 years to choose which you want. New stuff comes out all the time. 

Also you could sell your rx470 and get an upgrade to ryzen 5 and gtx1060 with the money :P

Nope. Out of the question. Also, its just a few months, nothing huge in CPU's will happen now that threadripper is out.

On 6/9/2017 at 8:40 PM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I agree with this 

Yes, for 8000 as well. 

I don't know if most of not, but there are quite a few AM3+ boards that were not designed for the 125W parts, don't list them in their supported CPU list, will struggle at full load and certainly won't handle any overclock without frying. 

I'd say go with $0 spending and stick to this rig, considering it is handling the games he plays well, and his only concern is CSGO which won't benefit from more cores.

OP, have you considered a mild overclock for your 4300?

Which clocks did you use the 6100 at? Also, you were going from Bulldozer to Piledriver, while for him it would be Piledriver to Piledriver, so no IPC gains. 

All in all, it's only the cache that will make a difference in his use case. 

Yes, it comes as in it comes inside the box of the Ryzen CPU :P

Mind you, I do support not overspending and even not upgrading at all if he's mostly happy with the current performance. 

I also think that, while the 1600 is great value, if all he wants is a small bump from his 4300,and if he decides to go Ryzen, he may want to consider the cheaper 1400 as well. 

Ive tried overclocking but it usually has stability issues for some reson. 

I also have had crashing problems with this pc its entire life so I will probably need a new CPU soon because whocrashed identifies it as a cpu/hardware failure.

On 8/9/2017 at 0:06 AM, \\\NorthBoundWolf/// said:

Nope. Out of the question. Also, its just a few months, nothing huge in CPU's will happen now that threadripper is out.

lol you mean like the next i5 and i7 having 50% more cores and threads.....................

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016