I'M A BIG NOOB

IPushFatKids
Go to solution Solved by minibois,

You may want to watch like.. All TechQuickie videos.

To put Ghz Simple: It's the clockspeed, which determines how much stuff it can do. Higher = faster. This doesn't scale linearly though, plus you can't compare GHz across multiple different CPU's. Overclicking is upping the GHz, increasing power.

DDR3 is a generation after DDR2, which DDR4 is newer than DDR3. The stuff they generally improve at are:

- Speeds

- Capacities in which the RAM is available in (the amount of GB)

- Power used (less power the newer they go)

Your motherboard has to specifically support a DDR 'gen'.

Also, be sure to ask questions about specific things on forum. I joined this forum in 2014, while knowing basically as much as you; if not less. You pick up a lot of knowledge just by being around it and seeking it out.

My name is Jon and I have always loved gaming. I am a huge console gamer and want to get into PC gaming. I took my comptia class in school but never took the test to get my cert. I understand how computers work and I've worked on them a little but I want to learn it all.  I want to learn all I can and I want to get into the IT field. I'm a noob if I'm being honest. I'm about to build my first gaming pc but before i do I want to understand why one part is better than another. Basically I want your opinion, where is the best place for me to start learning. I don't want to pay for classes and I have watched a lot of youtube. Any good IT podcast our there? 

To put Ghz Simple: It's the clockspeed, which determines how much stuff it can do. Higher = faster. This doesn't scale linearly though, plus you can't compare GHz across multiple different CPU's. Overclicking is upping the GHz, increasing power.

DDR3 is a generation after DDR2, which DDR4 is newer than DDR3. The stuff they generally improve at are:

- Speeds

Also, be sure to ask questions about specific things on forum. I joined this forum in 2014, while knowing basically as much as you; if not less. You pick up a lot of knowledge just by being around it and seeking it out.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

33 minutes ago, Minibois said:

- Speeds

Ty for the info. I've been watching slot of videos from Mike Myers and linus. I've learned alot. I will try and be more specific in future post. Sorry. I may delete this one.

1 minute ago, IPushFatKids said:

Ty for the info. I've been watching slot of videos from Mike Myers and linus. I've learned alot. I will try and be more specific in future post. Sorry. I may delete this one.

Oh, the "Also, be sure to ask questions about specific things on forum." wasn't a hateful comment towards this thread! Sorry if it sounded like that, it was just some advice, to ask specific questions when you don't understand something in the future.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Oh, the "Also, be sure to ask questions about specific things on forum." wasn't a hateful comment towards this thread! Sorry if it sounded like that, it was just some advice, to ask specific questions when you don't understand something in the future.

I didn't take it hateful or anything. How do I delete my post anyways. Can't figure it out. Lol

10 minutes ago, IPushFatKids said:

Other good channels to watch are Paul's Hardware and Jays2cents (specifically for GPU's, he gets very detailed)

I spent two years doing all sorts of research on my own time just watching these channels with no prior actual experience with computers on a hardware level. Eventually I gathered enough information to know how to build my own PC (There are also great guides on all these channels on entire builds from start to finish, including part selection processes)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, IPushFatKids said:

I didn't take it hateful or anything. How do I delete my post anyways. Can't figure it out. Lol

Posts cannot be deleted. Only a moderator can, and that's very rare

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 minute ago, TVwazhere said:

Posts cannot be deleted. Only a moderator can, and that's very rare

Ohh ok ty

1 minute ago, IPushFatKids said:

You can't yourself, at best you can report it so a moderator can delete it, but when they don't really have a reason to delete it; they usually dont'.

3 minutes ago, Minibois said:

You can't yourself, at best you can report it so a moderator can delete it, but when they don't really have a reason to delete it; they usually dont'.

Ty for all the info. I changed my post around because you  answered most of the questions. Hope to see ya around the forum!