Questions about Folding at Home

Hello

I ordered parts for my new PC build and I want to do some Folding at Home now. But I'm a bit confused right now. I wanted to make a Identity and it asked for a name, a group and a passkey. And when I clicked on "Get a passkey." it asks me for my e-mail address and a donor name. Do I have to enter my real name in the donor name line? Does it have to be the same name I enter in the "Change Identity" window?

And are GPUs better at folding then CPUs? Are CPUs with more cores better then CPUs with faster clock speed? Just wondering.

Thanks for your help

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

Good luck, hope you find the information you're looking for, but the only Folding at Home that I know of is the damn clothes when they come out of the dryer.  I'm going to follow this thread so that I can figure out what you're talking about.

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

Good luck, hope you find the information you're looking for, but the only Folding at Home that I know of is the damn clothes when they come out of the dryer.  I'm going to follow this thread so that I can figure out what you're talking about.

Search for Folding at home on the internet. It has nothing to do with clothes. xD It's about helping researchers to cure diseases as far as I know.

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

Hey, that's a good idea.  I use Seti@Home to search the heavens for alien life.  Been doing it for lots and lots of years.  I suppose it's basically the same idea.  Thanks.

3 hours ago, GrayTech said:

Hello

I ordered parts for my new PC build and I want to do some Folding at Home now. But I'm a bit confused right now. I wanted to make a Identity and it asked for a name, a group and a passkey. And when I clicked on "Get a passkey." it asks me for my e-mail address and a donor name. Do I have to enter my real name in the donor name line? Does it have to be the same name I enter in the "Change Identity" window?

And are GPUs better at folding then CPUs? Are CPUs with more cores better then CPUs with faster clock speed? Just wondering.

Thanks for your help

Use the same name you put in as your folding name if you want.  Passkeys go off the email address (useful when you want more than one passkey, but keep same folding name).

At the moment, GPUs are king in F@H.  Though, the new a7 units for CPUs are bringing the CPUs back up in points but no where near the levels of GPUs.

If folding on CPUs, it a bit of a balancing game.  Many cores do help but not if they are very slow.  Also, note, keep CPU threads on even counts.  F@H seems to get funky on odd thread count.

A trick I do is run GPUs for F@H and use CPUs for BOINC.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

Thanks for your reply @Ithanul!

I want to use a Ryzen 5 1600 and probably something like a GTX 1060 6GB. And do I have to enter my real name or can I enter any name I want?

Main PC:

Dorm PC:

NAS:

Laptop:

You can enter any alias you want. 

If you're going to be doing this on behalf of LTT, even though officially they have no links to it, then using the same or similar name to your alias here? 

They will email you the Passkey with the alias of your choosing. Team Number for LTT is 223518.