LTT ProPoints - A Community Involvement Project

ShearMe
Go to solution Solved by _ASSASSIN_,

Thank buttons make a lot of sense. Then again, no one uses the 'Best answer feature'.

yeah, I seriously wished LTT sent in their emails linking a thread on "How to use the damn forum" lol

but yeah, if the button is conveniently placed, it could work

Disclaimer:

This is just another one of my wild ideas. I have no idea if this is easily implementable on the forum.

The Dilema:

Currently, we have a like button to show that we appreciate the contribution or content of any given post. But what if someone goes above and beyond to add to the discussion? How do you appropriately acknowledge a truly monumental post?

The Idea:

LTT ProPoints. Instead of some unlimited and free "like" which can be tossed around willy-nilly like African currency, why not have something limited in quantity to award to a good poster?

The Proposal:

How ProPoints could be earned is up for debate ITT. Every 100 posts? Every 10 likes? Share your ideas/opinions with us.

I personally think it would be good if, for every ProPoint received, one can be given. However, this could lead to manipulation such as "boosting" is done in certain video games.

Ive got an idea too. Delete post count and "like this" also...

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

I don't think that would make an real sense, I mean having a limited thing is kind weird...instead we should have a "thank" button like other forums that would thank a user for answering a question that they have

and these "thank" points would also be shown along with your post count

I don't think that would make an real sense, I mean having a limited thing is kind weird...instead we should have a "thank" button like other forums that would thank a user for answering a question that they have

That's exactly what the like button already is.

That's exactly what the like button already is.

at the moment because a thank button hasn't been made, these thank buttons are held at a higher teir than "likes" which just are just an indicator of "w0w how edgi r u" at the moment

some likes are distributed for thanks but most of it is just humor or absurd build logs

at the moment because a thank button hasn't been made, these thank buttons are held at a higher teir than "likes" which just are just an indicator of "w0w how edgi r u" at the moment

some likes are distributed for thanks but most of it is just humor or absurd build logs

So you want two buttons that do the same thing bust have a different word on them?

So you want two buttons that do the same thing bust have a different word on them?

here me out on this. These "thank" buttons would only appear on certain subforums, such as

Member Reviews

All of the "Computer Hardware" subforum

Mobile Devices

Home Theater

Guides and Tutorials

Troubleshooting

these are the forums that I think would have the most use for it as these are the subforums that continue to have question asked and answered, it won't be in crap like off topic, news, or general discussion

here me out on this. These "thank" buttons would only appear on certain subforums, such as

Member Reviews

All of the "Computer Hardware" subforum

Mobile Devices

Home Theater

Guides and Tutorials

Troubleshooting

these are the forums that I think would have the most use for it as these are the subforums that continue to have question asked and answered, it won't be in crap like off topic, news, or general discussion

Why not "thank" the by giving them a ProPoint?

Why not "thank" the by giving them a ProPoint?

because you envisionment makes these points limited requiring that a 2 posting member that wants to ask a question and thank them on a more meaningful member can't with how you are planning it to be structured

because you envisionment makes these points limited requiring that a 2 posting member that wants to ask a question and thank them on a more meaningful member can't with how you are planning it to be structured

Hence the "give me your ideas" sentence in the OP. Why not Gove new members a few free ProPoints?

Hence the "give me your ideas" sentence in the OP. Why not Gove new members a few free ProPoints?

we got a start 

The only issue with the ProPoints is that it's basically the like system, which is currently being used to show whether you like a post or not, not whether it's the best one.

I would suggest showing the number of best answers instead, since that would actually show how many times the person has actually posted the best post.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

The only issue with the ProPoints is that it's basically the like system, which is currently being used to show whether you like a post or not, not whether it's the best one.

I would suggest showing the number of best answers instead, since that would actually show how many times the person has actually posted the best post.

Problem with that is, few people actually use the best answer system, and sometimes the thread goes on long enough to have multiple "best" answers. Wouldn't be a bad place to start, however.

Disclaimer:

This is just another one of my wild ideas. I have no idea if this is easily implementable on the forum.

The Dilema:

Currently, we have a like button to show that we appreciate the contribution or content of any given post. But what if someone goes above and beyond to add to the discussion? How do you appropriately acknowledge a truly monumental post?

The Idea:

LTT ProPoints. Instead of some unlimited and free "like" which can be tossed around willy-nilly like African currency, why not have something limited in quantity to award to a good poster?

The Proposal:

How ProPoints could be earned is up for debate ITT. Every 100 posts? Every 10 likes? Share your ideas/opinions with us.

I personally think it would be good if, for every ProPoint received, one can be given. However, this could lead to manipulation such as "boosting" is done in certain video games.

I'm not a fan. The reason a like button is the common form of rating on the internet is so you can have an accurate representation of how many people agree with/enjoy another users post. Creating a point system is forcing people to 'use' the site in ways that will grant points as apposed to improving the community, discussing, and helping others. It also forces users earn the ability to show how the feel about something, when they should have that ability by default.

Please quote me if you want me to see your post about my post, otherwise I may lose track of the thread and never see it.

I'd love to help, but I'm probably gonna' have to ask for more info before we can get anything done.

Have a wonderful day.

I'm not a fan. The reason a like button is the common form of rating on the internet is so you can have an accurate representation of how many people agree with/enjoy another users post. Creating a point system is forcing people to 'use' the site in ways that will grant points as apposed to improving the community, discussing, and helping others. It also forces users earn the ability to show how the feel about something, when they should have that ability by default.

ProPoints wouldn't get rid of likes, they'd just be another option. A "like" would be something relatively cheap like a penny, but a ProPoint would be something more like a dollar bill - less common, but still plenty to go around. I do agree that it could devolve into some people simply trying to get more points instead of actually contributing, which is why I'm asking for suggestions on how to avoid such an occurrence

I do agree that it could devolve into some people simply trying to get more points instead of actually contributing, which is why I'm asking for suggestions on how to avoid such an occurrence

You realize in that by saying that, you're trying to change human nature right? Good luck with that.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Thank buttons make a lot of sense. Then again, no one uses the 'Best answer feature'.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

yeah, I seriously wished LTT sent in their emails linking a thread on "How to use the damn forum" lol

Great idea. This needs to be done.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Fuck my idea, just do this

Disclaimer:

The Dilema:

The Idea:

The Proposal:

It's definitely in the long term plan.