Some questions regarding PCs and Linustechtips

Hello, 

I am very new to this forum and linustechtips. I have been watching his videos for a few months and I have been hooked ever since. Now their is a slight problem, I have very limited knowledge regarding PCs and certain terms. I do understand more than the average Joe yet when I watch linustechtips, at times I can't help but feel overwhelmed by the sheer amount of terms or concepts which I do not understand. So my question to the community is where can I start learning the basics about PCs and tech? I have been looking through tech quickie and the linustechtips YouTube channel but I can't seem to find anything. All I really want is to try to find something that will help me understand a little more than just the basics about PCs and tech.

With love and all my regards to the community and to the Linus media team, thank you so much for getting me hooked onto tech. 

Early days of ncixtechtips(When Linus was still host) and linustechtips have alot of good information. Ncixtechtips had a lot more bits of knowledge  then LTT because of the focus of the channel at the time, So I would start there and just watch whatever you feel life you can gain some sort of info from.

techquickie is good if you have a specific topic you want to find more about, and the forum is really good for specific questions. (Ex. "How do PCI-e lanes through the chipset work?"). General background is obtained simply by being around for a while, and it's really hard to backtrack. I got into tech around the Broadwell era, and thus don't know much specifics about haswell-X/E, or anything ivy/sandy/before, or any GPUs in AMD's lineup before the 200/300 series, or any Nvidia GPUs before Kepler. The great thing is that you can always learn about the things that come out now, like X299, Sky/Kaby lake, and Ryzen. in a few years, this info will be all that's really needed for general purpose stuff.

You shouldn't approach tech stuff as a sheet of things to memorize. it should be something that you learn through immersion.

hanging around the forum is a really great way to do that. you can click on topics you might learn the answer to, and see what other users say, or you can try to answer a topic yourself. as the old saying goes, "The fastest way to learn the right answer to a question, is to post the wrong answer online." (but generally, this forum is very nice, and people will correct you in a nice way, not toxicly)

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

15 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

General background is obtained simply by being around for a while, and it's really hard to backtrack.

You shouldn't approach tech stuff as a sheet of things to memorize. it should be something that you learn through immersion.

Hobbies and passion is the best way to learn something. Best approach to do well in life.

It's kinda sad.   The channel uses to focuse almost entirely on pc tech and hardware.  With cool tech and gadgets on the side. 

Its become really diluted in their constant growth and need for near daily uploads.  

Probably would have have been better staying small and focusing their work.

I wonder if we'll  see ltt implode or downsize rapidly in the future. 

Floatplane club looks like it's doomed from the start. No clue why Luke's moving out to his own space and trying to push that project so heavily.  Maybe fear of YouTube as a platform for revenue falling apart, only thing that makes sense.  

Yo soy el hombre murciélago

I have a question regarding some of my Pc components.

I've had my Pc for a while now and have been very happy with it's performance.

I built it around the start of 2017 so i've had for about 6 months now.

it has a GTX 1070 and an i5 7600k in it.

Im looking to upgrade my graphics card to a GTX 1080 Ti.

I know my current card is top of the line and is perfectly fine but i just want the 1080 Ti just because im an enthusiast and i want it for shock value.

So here is my question would i see any bottle-necking with an i5 7600k and a GTX 1080 Ti pared together or should i get a new CPU along with it.