What is your favorite LINUX Distribution?

Go to solution Solved by twizmwazin,

What is Deborian? Do you mean Debian? Also I'm assuming you aren't referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RISC_OS

My vote is on CentOS for servers and Fedora for desktops

What is your favorite LINUX Distribution?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite LINUX Distribution?

MacOS!

terminal is scary. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

The correct answer is all of them and none of them, as Linux is not a distribution at all, it's just a kernel, and nothing more.

There is a lot of distro's however missing off that list non the less . Including major hitters like Mint, Red Hat, Cent OS, Arch, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, etc. Just to list a few. Even the original distro of GNU is missing. Then there's the fact that Linux is actually just a clone of Minix.

At least you somewhat simplified the choosing process by filtering out the BSD and other Posix options including QNX, AmigaOS and BeOS.

Cheers!

2 minutes ago, ChackoM said:

Elementary OS anyone?

Only on a Netbook or small laptop.

Just now, deadmatrix said:

Only on a Netbook or small laptop.

Haha I have it on my 15-inch Toshiba Satellite C55 but to be fair it's super low-powered 

1 minute ago, ChackoM said:

Haha I have it on my 15-inch Toshiba Satellite C55 but to be fair it's super low-powered 

Exactly my point - only useful on smaller profile lower end hardware...Maybe a VM but I don't advise or recomend it beyond initial checking it out to see if it would work on the said low powered small profile machine.

1 minute ago, deadmatrix said:

Exactly my point - only useful on smaller profile lower end hardware...Maybe a VM but I don't advise or recomend it beyond initial checking it out to see if it would work on the said low powered small profile machine.

Yup. I've had a really bad experience with VMs so I don't use them anymore. It works pretty well, compared to the Windows 10 I used to have

1 minute ago, ChackoM said:

Yup. I've had a really bad experience with VMs so I don't use them anymore. It works pretty well, compared to the Windows 10 I used to have

I've been around the block a lot when it comes to OS's - it's practically an obsession -- certain situations work well with VM environments depending on what your goal and task are. Daily driving a VM as a browser will probably suck, but using it for a specific task like terminal usage or quick cross compiling or something - a vm should work just fine. Even for development if it's all free hand coding. I don't know if I'd recompile a kernel unless you have enough spare threads, and cores to spare with hardware passthrough enabled and have VT-x and VT-d. Basically depends on the situation, needs, and circumstances at hand. Somethings (Tasks, OS's, VM configs, native hardware, etc.) just lend themselves better then others essentially.

Just now, deadmatrix said:

I've been around the block a lot when it comes to OS's - it's practically an obsession -- certain situations work well with VM environments depending on what your goal and task are. Daily driving a VM as a browser will probably suck, but using it for a specific task like terminal usage or quick cross compiling or something - a vm should work just fine. Even for development if it's all free hand coding. I don't know if I'd recompile a kernel unless you have enough spare threads, and cores to spare with hardware passthrough enabled and have VT-x and VT-d. Basically depends on the situation, needs, and circumstances at hand. Somethings (Tasks, OS's, VM configs, native hardware, etc.) just lend themselves better then others essentially.

Mm interesting, didn't know about this before. Thanks!

15 minutes ago, deadmatrix said:

The correct answer is all of them and none of them, as Linux is not a distribution at all, it's just a kernel, and nothing more.

There is a lot of distro's however missing off that list non the less . Including major hitters like Mint, Red Hat, Cent OS, Arch, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS, etc. Just to list a few. Even the original distro of GNU is missing. Then there's the fact that Linux is actually just a clone of Minix.

At least you somewhat simplified the choosing process by filtering out the BSD and other Posix options including QNX, AmigaOS and BeOS.

Cheers!

I'm sure OP knows Linux itself is not a distribution, otherwise he would have put Linux itself as an option in the poll. GNU is not even a distro. It's just a set of tools, unless you really want to count HURD.

22 minutes ago, deadmatrix said:

Cheers!

Thank you

deadmatrix

Just now, ChackoM said:

Mm interesting, didn't know about this before. Thanks!

No problem, also 3d acceleration being enabled - does not mean you will have an accelerated experience. It will tell said virtualized machine and OS that hardware accleration is available, to satisfy dependency checks and make certain installers and executables happy, but that doesn't mean to expect 60fps+ on a GTX 1080 TI playing CS:GO on a virtual machine even though counter strike opened to the in game menu screen just fine without complaining. Apply same concept to web browsing. Scrolling pages and watching youtube will still stutter and lag. Bandwidth bottleneck somewhere between the band translator between hardware & software conversion. Basically between hardware bandwidth and software bandwidth transitions bidirectionally. That's my theory anyways without looking more into it.

4 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

I'm sure OP knows Linux itself is not a distribution, otherwise he would have put Linux itself as an option in the poll. GNU is not even a distro. It's just a set of tools, unless you really want to count HURD.

GNU/Hurd is what I had intended - I just shorted it to GNU for simplicity's sake. Thanks for elaborating further for me. :)

I'd also like to point out that not all Linux distros are GNU/Linux. Alpine Linux is MUSL+BusyBox/Linux.

this is my favourite shit post

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Arch Linux.  A lot of people don't give it a chance because they think it's overly difficult.  If you can get over the fear of RTFM, it's actually very easy and clean.  Arch can be applied effectively in a wide variety of scenarios (desktop, server, containers, RPi, etc).

If you are unfamiliar with Arch, here are the key features:

1.  Rolling release and bleeding edge, but one can freeze in time or backtrack to a certain date using the Arch Linux Archive (ALA) for stability or repeatability.

2.  Vanilla.  Software is distributed in an unmolested configuration.

3.  "pacman", an excellent package manager

4.  Arch Build System (ABS): build nearly any piece of software out there from the Arch User Repository (AUR) if it's not in the official one.  Also, rebuild any piece of software (for instance with specific feature flags) in the official repo easily.

5.  Top-notch community.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/06/2017 at 8:09 PM, decibelCooper said:

Arch Linux.  A lot of people don't give it a chance because they think it's overly difficult.  If you can get over the fear of RTFM, it's actually very easy and clean.  Arch can be applied effectively in a wide variety of scenarios (desktop, server, containers, RPi, etc).

If you are unfamiliar with Arch, here are the key features:

1.  Rolling release and bleeding edge, but one can freeze in time or backtrack to a certain date using the Arch Linux Archive (ALA) for stability or repeatability.

2.  Vanilla.  Software is distributed in an unmolested configuration.

3.  "pacman", an excellent package manager

4.  Arch Build System (ABS): build nearly any piece of software out there from the Arch User Repository (AUR) if it's not in the official one.  Also, rebuild any piece of software (for instance with specific feature flags) in the official repo easily.

5.  Top-notch community.

This guy knows it.

If you feel Arch has too steep learning curve, you can try out with Arch-based OS such as Antergos Linux. It just has a GUI installer, DE included (a choice of them, Gnome3 being default), most default drivers and many other options. I used it for about a year, currently is my secondary laptop.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

54 minutes ago, jj9987 said:

If you feel Arch has too steep learning curve, you can try out with Arch-based OS such as Antergos Linux

Seconded.

I've used Ubuntu for months, but I really like CentOS for servers and Mint for desktops.  But in any case, any distro of Linux can be customized to perform virtually any task you throw at it, cept big name gaming :(

Kubuntu is Ubuntu, but with KDE

@Lou Bone

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

Debian has been with me for ages. I played around with many distros when I was young, but Debian is what I trust my server with.