Windows Media Player Problem! HELP! :(

lol1419

Hello guys,

Having some troubles with windows media player. When playing a movie (DVD) it seems to have poor texture quality, grainy pixels (picture attached in post so you can see what I mean). Audio and everything else seems normal only video quality is compromised. Other video players exhibit the same problem (VLC, media player classis, etc.),I have  updated GPU drivers (ASUS GTX 660 non ti), tried different codecs, and after all this no solution. This is really frustrating. :angry: . I'm using Windows 7 64-bit if that's a bit of more useful information. Any ideas of how I get my quality to increase? I plan on watching more DVD's on my pc but with this quality its unbearable.

*Pictures are from the move The Adventures of TINTIN (DVD).

post-19836-0-22771300-1385077765_thumb.j

post-19836-0-06404500-1385077766_thumb.j

No, the movie came out recently. I've noticed the problem ever since I first popped the DVD in. The DVD was bought from Futureshop (pretty legit).

• 3 weeks later...

I think it may try to be up scaling the DVD to HD and doing a bad job at it.

Aselwyn1

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps cause it's a DVD? Those things are only 576i. They don't usually look too great when viewed on a 1080p monitor up close, just like any other low res content.

Perhaps cause it's a DVD? Those things are only 576i. They don't usually look too great when viewed on a 1080p monitor up close, just like any other low res content.

Actually, he's from Canada, thus NTSC, which is 480i. Which is even worse.

Yeah I dunno, have you tried using a different DVD playback program, such as MPC-HC (Media Player Classic)?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Actually, he's from Canada, thus NTSC, which is 480i. Which is even worse.

Yeah I dunno, have you tried using a different DVD playback program, such as MPC-HC (Media Player Classic)?

Oh god that's awful. DVDs need to die. Well all physical media does. Perhaps then Abbott will see the point in an NBN (for those Aussies that know what I'm talking about)

Oh god that's awful. DVDs need to die. Well all physical media does. Perhaps then Abbott will see the point in an NBN (for those Aussies that know what I'm talking about)

BluRay is 1920x1080 at 24fps - why does it need to die? It's superior quality to anything you can obtain from mainstream legal sources online.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

BluRay is 1920x1080 at 24fps - why does it need to die? It's superior quality to anything you can obtain from mainstream legal sources online.

Yes but it is disk based. You damage the disc and it's gone. Also, it's inconvenient and somewhat environmentally unfriendly having to produce disks (although perhaps servers etc. match the environmental impact). What I'm saying is that streaming services should improve. They already are with Netflix announcing some 4K streaming next year. As internet improves and 4K TVs become the norm, physical media is going to have a hard time catching up with the file size restrictions.

Yes but it is disk based. You damage the disc and it's gone. Also, it's inconvenient and somewhat environmentally unfriendly having to produce disks (although perhaps servers etc. match the environmental impact). What I'm saying is that streaming services should improve. They already are with Netflix announcing some 4K streaming next year. As internet improves and 4K TVs become the norm, physical media is going to have a hard time catching up with the file size restrictions.

Netflix Already has issues streaming 1080p vids at a constant resolution..I will take Bluray anyday

Netflix Already has issues streaming 1080p vids at a constant resolution..I will take Bluray anyday

I get what you're saying, but I'm talking about the future when things are... faster

I get what you're saying, but I'm talking about the future when things are... faster

Comer on bro 1080p has been out for like 10 years and it still has issues streaming.If you say future you mean in 20 years then I believe you..

Comer on bro 1080p has been out for like 10 years and it still has issues streaming.If you say future you mean in 20 years then I believe you..

I'm afraid I agree with OneGun here.

The highest quality I can stream online is 720p on YouTube with lots of buffering or 480p on Netflix. Until such a time as everyone in the world has at least 50Mb/s download speeds, high-quality 1080p streaming is still going to be problematic.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I doubt this is a Windows Media Player issue; rather the DVD is poor quality like others have suggested.

I must ask why you are still using a dvd, escpecially for a newer movie such as tin tin, you could get Netflix or something of that sort with better quality.

Also, I personally use VLC player so if you suspect it is Windows Media Player, try that out.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone again..I know I'm bring this old thread back up, but I just have to settle this one question.

You guys are telling me my DVD is up-scaling my dvd movie from ~480p to 1080p which gives me really a(n) undesirable quality/ experience.

I own the Blu-ray copy of this/and other movies and was wondering, is a Blu-ray player worth my investment? And if, so what cheap options would you recommend?

Hello everyone again..I know I'm bring this old thread back up, but I just have to settle this one question.

You guys are telling me my DVD is up-scaling my dvd movie from ~480p to 1080p which gives me really a(n) undesirable quality/ experience.

I own the Blu-ray copy of this/and other movies and was wondering, is a Blu-ray player worth my investment? And if, so what cheap options would you recommend?

Yes, most definitely worth your investment.

I'd look at this, if you want just a Blu-Ray reader (Also a CD/DVD Burner):

But for the difference (about $20 more) you can also get a Blu-Ray burner. I don't have a use for them really myself, but they are good investments for making archival backups of your Blu-Ray movie collection, if you want a full physical backup.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

dalekphalm,

Thanks for the input. I could just get by with a player...I really wont have much use for a burner or combo for that matter.

Would a "cheaper" Blu-ray drive effect the quality by any chance? I'm on a budjet and want to spend little as possible...

Would this do me any good?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136268&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= 

dalekphalm,

Thanks for the input. I could just get by with a player...I really wont have much use for a burner or combo for that matter.

Would a "cheaper" Blu-ray drive effect the quality by any chance? I'm on a budjet and want to spend little as possible...

Would this do me any good?:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136268&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID= 

The drive you've linked is basically identical to the one I've linked... They're both Blu-Ray Readers, as well as CD/DVD Writers. Any Blu-Ray Reader drive for PC is gonna have CD/DVD burning built into it anyway.

As for the model, there's no problem with the one you've selected. Buying cheaper won't affect visual quality, as it's digital. It may affect life-time of the unit, and the chances of read/write errors, etc. But LG is a top notch manufacturer for any optical drives, so their units are not considered "cheap", despite their low cost.

FYI you're looking at Newegg.com (US site), as assume you know this? I only point it out because your location lists Canada. This is the same drive on Newegg.ca:

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136268

I'm afraid I agree with OneGun here.

The highest quality I can stream online is 720p on YouTube with lots of buffering or 480p on Netflix. Until such a time as everyone in the world has at least 50Mb/s download speeds, high-quality 1080p streaming is still going to be problematic.

I can stream 1080p netflix encodes on my slow but stable 16Mb/s connection.

50Mb/s (if you're actually getting those speeds) would be enough to stream untouched Blu-rays. Which are usually around the 30-35Mb/s total bitrate. Not to mention a fully transparent h.264 1080p encode would usually come in at around 16-18Mb/s. The over compressed Netflix streams have a bitrate well below that, it's ridiculous that people in North America can't stream them.

Edit: Oh wait I just realised you're in Scotland, same here. You need a new ISP :D