What if Microsoft renamed Windows to Xbox?

leelaa14

How would you feel? Seen as how they're releasing the Scorpio soon, which to give credit, for a console is quite powerful. If they really wanted to dominate the games market, they could just rename windows to Xbox. Then they would have the lower end console )og xbox one and s) then the mid range console (scorpio) and higher end xbox devices. (Our rigs.)  Not even sure where I'm going with this, was just something that popped in my head when watching a The Know video.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

It would make no sense. People are stupid, and stupid people would think that their "Xbox" could play a new game when in reality its a shitty Acer prebuilt from 2011.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I would just scratch my head and wonder, "Why?" Windows as a product name in and of itself carries a lot of weight, even more than Xbox. And there is already a product called "Xbox." That would only serve to add to the confusion.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

I vaguely remember Phill Spencer saying  that they're taking the Xbox name and making it a platform and not just meaning a console, or something like that.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

I mean, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but they did go from windows 8 to 10...

They're trying to tie Xbox and Windows together as multimedia devices. Imagine being able to pick up your work (spreadsheets, browser tabs, or movies from your PC or Windows Phone) from your Xbox. If that doesn't sound great, you should seek a psychologist. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

They're trying to tie Xbox and Windows together as multimedia devices. Imagine being able to pick up your work (spreadsheets, browser tabs, or movies from your PC or Windows Phone) from your Xbox. If that doesn't sound great, you should seek a psychologist. 

This is my point. They are unifying everything, sooner or later they may just think, it all does the same stuff, lets give it all one name. I dunno, just popped in my head and thought it was worth an off topic thread.

2 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

This is my point. They are unifying everything, sooner or later they may just think, it all does the same stuff, lets give it all one name. I dunno, just popped in my head and thought it was worth an off topic thread.

I doubt they'll unify the brands. Xbox could be their "entertainment" or "living room" Windows machine while Windows is kept to desks and such. 

I forgot what company it was, but they dropped their biggest series by merging it with another under the bigger banner and it flopped real hard until they separated it again.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

I could see it if microsoft wanted to make an OS that was gaming centric. Not sure what the point would be. The downside of renaming Windows to Xbox in general is that they'd scare away their corporate users many of whom would see using an OS called Xbox as being unprofessional or undignified, even if it was just a rebadged version of windows. CEOs do care about that kind of shit.

Now if Microsoft went the way of making Xbox its general entertainment division (which it basically is by this point) and Windows its consumer PC division that would make a lot of sense. If anything, the Xbox division would be merged into the Windows division before vice versa.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I don't see the advantage of renaming the OS you sell to corporations and public institutions after a console. Those are the customers who actually pay for Windows, and they pay big money.

I think MS would rather use the Xbox branding as a service withing windows.

I can see where you're going with that thought, but I's unlikely to happen.

Windows is the software brand where consoles are hardware based and a totally different division within the Microsoft corporate structure

----------------------------
        Weem

11 hours ago, leelaa14 said:

How would you feel? Seen as how they're releasing the Scorpio soon, which to give credit, for a console is quite powerful. If they really wanted to dominate the games market, they could just rename windows to Xbox. Then they would have the lower end console )og xbox one and s) then the mid range console (scorpio) and higher end xbox devices. (Our rigs.)  Not even sure where I'm going with this, was just something that popped in my head when watching a The Know video.

I would feel, well confused, if nothing else, because renaming Windows to XBOX would make literally no sense at all.

Plus, how do you control the fact that 99.99999% of PC's are actually completely shit and far worse than an XBOX One? Most PC's with integrated graphics would barely be able to load AAA level games, let alone play them at decent FPS and graphics quality levels.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

I would feel, well confused, if nothing else, because renaming Windows to XBOX would make literally no sense at all.

Plus, how do you control the fact that 99.99999% of PC's are actually completely shit and far worse than an XBOX One? Most PC's with integrated graphics would barely be able to load AAA level games, let alone play them at decent FPS and graphics quality levels.

Yes, but xbox is becoming less about games and more about an all in one multimedia package. So in a few years from now, when someone says xbox, you may not just think of games.

tbh I would think it would be the opposite. xbox everyday I see it turning more and more into a "windows" style console. When you open an app it goes into another window,  a game is also separate windows. 

Obviously combining the names does not make sense; they are separate things to an extend and are very different. It would be like calling an apple an orange because they're both fruit. They taste differently and contain different nutrients from each other. They also grow on different trees. 

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Then the naming would make no sense.  XBOX = Direct X Box.  It meant that you were getting a direct x experience in a consolized box.  Calling Windows that would defeat the purpose of the name.  <.<

Lol, forgot that was the reason why they called it that haha. Good call.

1 minute ago, Wolther said:

tbh I would think it would be the opposite. xbox everyday I see it turning more and more into a "windows" style console. When you open an app it goes into another window,  a game is also separate windows. 

Obviously combining the names does not make sense; they are separate things to an extend and are very different. It would be like calling an apple an orange because they're both fruit. They taste differently and contain different nutrients from each other. They also grow on different trees. 

I wouldn't say they are that different really. Considering MS is going to be releasing (or already have) a version of windows which only uses UWP apps, it's pretty much an xbox at that point as that's all xbox uses.
Add mouse and keyboard functionality to an xbox one and that version of windows and the xbox would be pretty much the same. The only difference really would be two separate names. 

3 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

I wouldn't say they are that different really. Considering MS is going to be releasing (or already have) a version of windows which only uses UWP apps, it's pretty much an xbox at that point as that's all xbox uses.
Add mouse and keyboard functionality to an xbox one and that version of windows and the xbox would be pretty much the same. The only difference really would be two separate names. 

Can you link that video you saw? I guess there is a disconnect between what we're talking about. I'm just talking about windows 10 compared to xbox, which I hope you understand where I'm coming from when I say they're really different. xbox to me is just a gaming platform where you can occasionally watch a movie or youtube. Windows I see as a workstation, watch movies, play games, write on your calendar, check email, stream your game, etc. And then being able to do most of those at the same time. Where I see xbox focusing on 1 thing at a time. There would have to be dramatic changes to the xbox software to be identical to the functionality of windows 

28 minutes ago, Wolther said:

Can you link that video you saw? I guess there is a disconnect between what we're talking about. I'm just talking about windows 10 compared to xbox, which I hope you understand where I'm coming from when I say they're really different. xbox to me is just a gaming platform where you can occasionally watch a movie or youtube. Windows I see as a workstation, watch movies, play games, write on your calendar, check email, stream your game, etc. And then being able to do most of those at the same time. Where I see xbox focusing on 1 thing at a time. There would have to be dramatic changes to the xbox software to be identical to the functionality of windows 

Video? And yeah, I see where you're coming from. I just think with the way things are going, if they add K&M to xbox then there's not much really to change.

1 hour ago, leelaa14 said:

Video? And yeah, I see where you're coming from. I just think with the way things are going, if they add K&M to xbox then there's not much really to change.

You can currently use a KB with XBox One. It can be with a Logitech Unifying Receiver or USB with USB being easier to do. Have not tried with a wireless Logitech KB and trackpad.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

2 hours ago, leelaa14 said:

There's a significant amount to change. Yes, the Xbox One is running an x86 Windows derivative, but it's just that, a Windows derivative. Most features and services you find in Windows 10, aren't in the Windows 10 that the XBOne runs. If they were, the XBOne would run significantly worse than it does.

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Have not tried with a wireless Logitech KB and trackpad.

Can't speak on the XBOne's experience with KB+M, but on PS4, mice are basically worthless without a KB+M to DS4 wrapper. So little uses mouse functionality, and outside of games, the UI doesn't benefit from it that much. KB is a god send over using a controller for text input. I assume it's the same for the XBOne though.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.