Opinion on First Build

PC Build 6/1/2017

- Budget: 1600$ But I Would pay $1900 for a SIGNIFICANT PERFORMANCE UPGRADE(I can do Ramen)
- Zip Code or Location:80918 Colorado Springs Co, USA
- Specific Use: Compiling code, Video editing, and some light 4k gaming, would like to play Star Citizen whenever it comes out as well as Witcher 3 and overwatch.
- Any preferred components?: no
- Any spare parts you can re-use?: 1tb SanDisk SSD, 3tb 7200 rpm 3.5, and a 512 Gb M.2 
- Overclocking your processor?: Yes if it will help
- Need an Operating System?: No
- Need a Monitor? / Mouse? / Keyboard?: No, I picked up the Acer CB280HK bmjdppr Black 28" today and have a Logitech gaming mouse and keyboard 
- Need a Wireless Card or Adapter? No
- Need Another Component? (Specify):No

Other Useful Info

- Preferred Case Features (Ex: Color, Side Window, Flashy): Would like Green But performance over looks
- Number of Monitors: 1 4k 28" 1ms 60hz
This is the list I made partially based on the Linus tech tips holiday build guide 2016. I stayed with the air cooler only because I'm a bit nervous about leaks on a machine that I just don't have the cash to replace. Thank you in advance for looking over this, I'm trying to upgrade from a dual core 3.2 and best buy PC from 2004.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/SuperTramp4663/saved/2MDWZL

Processor: i7-6800k  @ 345$

Cooler: Noctua NH-D14  @ 80$

Motherboard: ASRock X99 TAICHI @ 220$

Ram: G.skill Ripjaw V series 32Gb DDR4 2133 @ 200$

Video Card: Msi gtx 1070 8Gb @ 405$

Powersupply: Corsair 850w 80+ bronze semi-moduler @ 100$

Case: Nzxt S340 Razer @  95$

all have free or prime shipping to my zip code (80918)

Total: $1443.34

I would go Ryzen (R7 1700) over X99. Also a GTX 1070 will struggle a bit at 4K so you would have to lower settings when gaming.

Go with a R7 1700 extra 2 cores will increase performance dramatically in multi threaded tasks I suggest overclocking it as well, as that will boost it's performance even further.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XNzhNN

for a 1080ti which would be great for anything 4K, As it's a beast of a card

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XwYmhq

noticed you already have storage so remove mine if you wanna as it anit needed

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($299.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 KILLER SLI/ac ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($138.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($105.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU800 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($90.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G  Video Card  ($683.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair - Carbide 400C White ATX Mid Tower Case  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.49 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1659.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-01 20:39 EDT-0400

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YX2WTH

7700k because this is the best processor for gaming due to its amazing single core performance.

I didnt include storage drives, because you already have enough.

If you are gonna game at 4k then you need the 1080ti to achieve 60 fps at max settings. If you are ok with turning down some settings then go for the 1080.

The strix variants have phenomenal coolers, thus why i picked them. 

Color scheme is also very simple so you can adjust it to your liking with rgb lights.

My name Jeff

Just now, Marcseli said:

7700k because this is the best processor for gaming due to its amazing single core performance.

If you are gonna game at 4k then you need the 1080ti to achieve 60 fps at max settings. If you are ok with turning down some settings then go for the 1080.

Color scheme is also very simple so you can adjust it to your liking with rgb lights.

Also, dont worry about system leaks with AIOs because they are extremely rare. Plus you will get your damaged parts replaced by you AIO's manufacturer if it does by any chance leak.

My name Jeff

lol the i7-7700k build I had in my cart except I had a crap video card apparently (GTX 1070)and I couldn't tell if the Ryzen's or i7's were the best processors. So may fans on both sides which I respect but don't know where to find the data. I am looking to make some graphs... like price / fps and price / encoding speed 

8 hours ago, supertramp4663 said:

lol the i7-7700k build I had in my cart except I had a crap video card apparently (GTX 1070)and I couldn't tell if the Ryzen's or i7's were the best processors. So may fans on both sides which I respect but don't know where to find the data. I am looking to make some graphs... like price / fps and price / encoding speed 

http://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/videoediting

Also gaming at 4K puts more load on the gpu so there won't be much difference between the R7 1700 and i7 7700K.

You can drop down to a B350 board and 550W psu if you don't want SLI support.

You will need an AM4 bracket for the cooler which you can request from Cryorig if the retailer doesn't have them. Just use the stock cooler until then.

http://www.cryorig.com/getam4.php

You should also be fine with 16GB Ram according to the link I listed above if you are not doing editing for a living.

If you don't mind lowering settings for gaming then you could drop the gpu down to a GTX 1080. Another option would be to downscale to 1440p in which case a GTX 1070 would do. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($299.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($34.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AX370-Gaming K5 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($169.33 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($120.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G  Video Card  ($683.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Case  ($74.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1484.07
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-02 06:52 EDT-0400

10 hours ago, Marcseli said:

The op is only doing light gaming though. Also at 4K resolution the i7 7700K won't be better than the R7 1700 as the gpu becomes the bottleneck.

7 hours ago, lee32uk said:

The op is only doing light gaming though. Also at 4K resolution the i7 7700K won't be better than the R7 1700 as the gpu becomes the bottleneck.

So would the i7 7700k be better if I dropped to 1440p gaming 

You will need an AM4 bracket for the cooler which you can request from Cryorig if the retailer doesn't have them. Just use the stock cooler until then.

Are there any coolers that definitely come with the am4 bracket.... if I'm paying 1800$ for a pc or 80$ for a cooler I would pay a bit extra for a cooler that already has the am4 bracket included.

Great site thank you for the link @lee32uk but they only had graphs for the super high end stuff....anyone know where i can get data for the i7 series and Rizen tested the same way .... I have taken data from other sources and put together but I'm worried they used different methodology as they don't always give there methodology used.

P.s. is op(original poster)?

also where did you find this warranty for aio cooler?

17 hours ago, Marcseli said:

Also, dont worry about system leaks with AIOs because they are extremely rare. Plus you will get your damaged parts replaced by you AIO's manufacturer if it does by any chance leak.

Just wondering if they all do this because I have seen people say both yes they will replace your 800$ video card and no they don't replace other pc parts that weren't there cooler.

@supertramp4663

The i7 will probably be faster at 1440p but as you are doing Video editing the extra cpu cores on Ryzen will help.

Most coolers don't come with the bracket. The retailer might stock them but if not you can usually get a free bracket from the manufacturers website. 

Some of the Corsair AIO's don't need a bracket (See link below), and the NZXT Kraken coolers shouldn't need one.

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/company/press-release/corsair-is-ready-for-amd-ryzen

https://www.nzxt.com/am4-bracket

You can also buy an AM4 version of the Noctua D15 if you want a high end air cooler.

Yes op means original poster.

10 hours ago, lee32uk said:

On the contrary, the CPU bottlenecks the GPU. In fact there is no CPU that is fast enough to accommodate the 1080 ti's needs, therefore a 7700k would probably be the best bet for him right now. If you look at GPU benchmarks, you would notice there is a considerable difference between different CPUs. Here's an article that explains this in farther detail. http://www.legitreviews.com/cpu-bottleneck-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-tested-on-amd-ryzen-versus-intel-kaby-lake_192585/6

My name Jeff

3 hours ago, supertramp4663 said:

anyone know where i can get data for the i7 series and Rizen tested the same way .... I have taken data from other sources and put together but I'm worried they used different methodology as they don't always give there methodology used

I appreciate the opinions but I would like DATA.  HARD freaking data, with the methodology, used.

11 minutes ago, Marcseli said:

Nice but they don't give their DATA or their Methodology

20 minutes ago, Marcseli said:

On the contrary, the CPU bottlenecks the GPU. In fact there is no CPU that is fast enough to accommodate the 1080 ti's needs, therefore a 7700k would probably be the best bet for him right now. If you look at GPU benchmarks, you would notice there is a considerable difference between different CPUs. Here's an article that explains this in farther detail. http://www.legitreviews.com/cpu-bottleneck-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-tested-on-amd-ryzen-versus-intel-kaby-lake_192585/6

No. The gpu is the bottleneck at 4K.

Did you not read the conclusion ?

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti appears to still be GPU bottlenecked at 4K gaming, but this card is so fast that we are starting to see signs that the CPU is now actually bottlenecking performance at 1440P and lower resolutions.

On 6/2/2017 at 5:53 PM, lee32uk said:

No. The gpu is the bottleneck at 4K.

Did you not read the conclusion ?

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti appears to still be GPU bottlenecked at 4K gaming, but this card is so fast that we are starting to see signs that the CPU is now actually bottlenecking performance at 1440P and lower resolutions.

"appears to still be GPU bottlenecked at 4K" bottlenecked not bottleneck. This means that the gpu is being bottlenecked by the cpu. It's not the gpu that bottlenecks the pc.

"this card is so fast that we are starting to see signs that the CPU is now actually bottlenecking performance" You should read what you quote.

My name Jeff

3 minutes ago, Marcseli said:

"appears to still be GPU bottlenecked at 4K" bottlenecked not bottleneck. This means that the gpu is being bottlenecked by the cpu. It's not the gpu that bottlenecks the pc.

"this card is so fast that we are starting to see signs that the CPU is now actually bottlenecking performance" You should read what you quote.

You didn't read it did you ? Notice where it says it is starting to bottleneck at 1440p and lower resolutions ? That isn't 4K is it ? 

Just now, lee32uk said:

You didn't read it did you ? Notice where it says it is starting to bottleneck at 1440p and lower resolutions ? That isn't 4K is it ? 

Its the CPU that is bottlenecking the GPU

My name Jeff

Just now, lee32uk said:

"CPU is now actually bottlenecking performance at 1440P and lower resolutions."

My name Jeff

2 minutes ago, Marcseli said:

Its the CPU that is bottlenecking the GPU

At 1440p not 4K. Which bit don't you understand ?