OS suggestions for old computer

So I've recently found an old Dell computer that supports at most 128MB of memory and basically has a rock for a CPU.

So far what I know is it's running an older Pentium 166MHz CPU, currently has 48MB of memory and a 1GB hard disk that I have replacements or upgrades for if necessary. I want to find a simple use for this computer so it doesn't go to waste and doesn't go to a recycling heap.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding an OS for this thing?

Windows 97?

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

windows 95, windows 98 , dos or windows 2000/me

Edited by GDRRiley
I derped

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

windows 97, dos or windows 2000/me

there was a Windows 97 ? ? 

I only saw 95 and 98 growing up. I had a legit 98se and man did i love that os. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, Not_Sean said:

there was a Windows 97 ? ? 

I only saw 95 and 98 growing up. I had a legit 98se and man did i love that os. 

I derped

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Any possibilities of Linux or anything not to do with Windows?

2 minutes ago, Napier13403 said:

Why are you even trying to use this PC. not like it can do anything

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

Just now, RGProductions said:

Why are you even trying to use this PC. not like it can do anything

Dont wanna throw it away.

Just now, Napier13403 said:

Dont wanna throw it away.

Well what would you use it for? If display piece, the original OS it came with.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

try linux bodhi or lubuntu

linus sex tips

Just now, RGProductions said:

Well what would you use it for? If display piece, the original OS it came with.

It depends on the suggestions I get for an OS really. I do have a younger sibling I may throw an OS on this and let him have his way with it. I started on old IBM mainframe systems like an AS400 and that got me into technology.

1 minute ago, wii8cookies said:

try linux bodhi or lubuntu

Is there a version old enough that the minimum suggested specs work out that you know of? Would appreciate the help.

3 minutes ago, Napier13403 said:

Is there a version old enough that the minimum suggested specs work out that you know of? Would appreciate the help.

Looks like I was mistaken on the minimum recommended specs for bodhi linux. Thought it wanted 256MB of memory. Ill check it out tonight.

1 minute ago, Napier13403 said:

this is a low spec version of lubuntu- https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Alternate_ISO

and if it still is too much, here is a list of some other good ones- https://www.linux.com/news/best-lightweight-linux-distros-2017

linus sex tips

10 minutes ago, Napier13403 said:

It depends on the suggestions I get for an OS really. I do have a younger sibling I may throw an OS on this and let him have his way with it. I started on old IBM mainframe systems like an AS400 and that got me into technology.

you cant browse the web on it, id just toss it. A pi is much faster. 

For linux, debian without a gui should work, but idk if its i686 as there dropping support for i386 in linux.

Please don't put Windows on it... why are people even suggesting that :dry: Especially in proximity to the recent ransomware that swept the world.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Please don't put Windows on it... why are people even suggesting that :dry: Especially in proximity to the recent ransomware that swept the world.

Hence why its in this sub. 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you cant browse the web on it, id just toss it. A pi is much faster. 

For linux, debian without a gui should work, but idk if its i686 as there dropping support for i386 in linux.

I have more than a few Pis, a good bit of a performance gap between the two. Ill try the three OSs that were suggested tonight and see where I get with them.

47 minutes ago, Napier13403 said:

Puppy linux

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I had the exact same computer, my uncle gave it to me after my Windows Vista computer got murdered by a virus. I had Windows XP running on it but it was extremely slow, I downgraded to Windows 95 and it worked a bit better. Still not very great though. 

You could try TinyCore linux  it's only 11mbs. Which is wild. 

CPU: AMD FX 8350 GPU: 2x Radeon 7950's Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990fx Ram: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 

I run a blog called GadgetDX, we write articles on the latest gadgets, and computer news. xD

I would use it for Bitcoin cold storage.

If you want crazy good optimization of resource usage, look up unikernels. Don't expect it to be easy but expect it to be efficient as hell. And even more secure... but that's another story.

Edit: thumbs up @GadgetDX, forgot about TinyCore. Thanks for reminding me.

17 hours ago, GadgetDX said:

I had the exact same computer, my uncle gave it to me after my Windows Vista computer got murdered by a virus. I had Windows XP running on it but it was extremely slow, I downgraded to Windows 95 and it worked a bit better. Still not very great though. 

You could try TinyCore linux  it's only 11mbs. Which is wild. 

I started poking around last night with the drive docked to see if there was anything worthwhile to save. It apparently has had windows 95 on it before so I assume you went in the right direction there. Aside from that I formatted that and installed puppy linux and it ran but just barely.

It didnt perform well but it worked still. I think I just need to clean out the chassis and such and see where that gets me.

Thanks for the suggestions. If puppy linux fails to perform, ill try the other linux distros that were suggested.

1 hour ago, slicknux said:

I would use it for Bitcoin cold storage.

If you want crazy good optimization of resource usage, look up unikernels. Don't expect it to be easy but expect it to be efficient as hell. And even more secure... but that's another story.

Edit: thumbs up @GadgetDX, forgot about TinyCore. Thanks for reminding me.

Not a bad idea, If I can get an OS thatll play nice on it I might use it for that and do another cheap build or some wholesale thin client for my sibling to dig into.