Acceptable RMA compensation?

cynexit

So, I own(ed) a Seasonic PRIME 750W that stopped working over night (everything else was fine, also everything else that was plugged into the outlet) so I send it back to them to get an replacement.

Now, the important details are: I bought it for 213€ new from a retailer on 08-10-2016 and RMAd it on 19-05-2017 so after around 7~8 months.

I heard back from them today and they basically said this: "A repair wouldn't make sense and they also cannot provide me with a new unit. As compensation they're now paying me 184€ because I already used it for some time."

So now I more or less have two questions:

* What reason could there be they can't provide me with a new one? This line of PSUs is brand new and far from EOL.

* They basically took 14% from the original price away because of the time I already used the PSU and the total life expectancy. Now 14% at 7 months means an estimated product lifespan of about ~4 years. For a PSU with 10 years warranty this sounds like a total ripoff to me personally, I would rather expect something like 7% to be honest. Am I in the wrong here? Is this an reasonable price for this time span? Does anybody have similar experiences?

if they can't give a replacement, they should give you an equivalent of equal or greater value, or the full retail price you paid for it, if neither ask for a response for the RMA department manager and depending on country threaten to use consumer protection laws against them.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

Usually customer also get option to upgrade or downgrade from current product if it's not available with some money added/refunded.

This is the problems with the HIGHEST lineup most of the time.

I'm guessing you are paying retail price, and that 184€ is actually what they've sold to retailer.

I would not take that offer.

But then again, what other option do you get?

7 months later??  That is incredibly unacceptable!  I'd be on the phone blowing someone shit up at 2 weeks.  lol

Do not accept this and demand full value.  

6 hours ago, cynexit said:

So, I own(ed) a Seasonic PRIME 750W that stopped working over night (everything else was fine, also everything else that was plugged into the outlet) so I send it back to them to get an replacement.

Now, the important details are: I bought it for 213€ new from a retailer on 08-10-2016 and RMAd it on 19-05-2017 so after around 7~8 months.

I heard back from them today and they basically said this: "A repair wouldn't make sense and they also cannot provide me with a new unit. As compensation they're now paying me 184€ because I already used it for some time."

So now I more or less have two questions:

* What reason could there be they can't provide me with a new one? This line of PSUs is brand new and far from EOL.

* They basically took 14% from the original price away because of the time I already used the PSU and the total life expectancy. Now 14% at 7 months means an estimated product lifespan of about ~4 years. For a PSU with 10 years warranty this sounds like a total ripoff to me personally, I would rather expect something like 7% to be honest. Am I in the wrong here? Is this an reasonable price for this time span? Does anybody have similar experiences?

Are you doing RMA through the retailer you bought it from or through Seasonic? Do it through Seasonic since they're RMA service is more than capable of sending you a new unit.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Are you doing RMA through the retailer you bought it from or through Seasonic?

I did it through the retailer, to quote the seasonic page:

Warranty claims should be initiated through your regional retailer. Should this not be possible then you will need to submit your claim online directly through our website’s RMA link.

1 minute ago, cynexit said:

I did it through the retailer, to quote the seasonic page:

Tell them it isn't possible due to them not paying you full price for the defective unit. Seasonic service is fantastic.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Alright, thanks for all the insight guys!

I contacted the reseller but I don't count on response before late next week. If they refuse to make a better offer I'll try to contact Seasonic directly, maybe they can make a deal and send a new one for the refunded price or something.