Why would you build a media pc?

Nattan

I have never seen the point of having a media pc, in my case I have a "smart" tv which is crap aside from the fact that it has built in wifi and can get content off my pc. The whole control your pc from your couch seems kind of dead to me, I can control my pc in the other room from my phone and that always with me and then stream videos to the tv or even play music.The only other reason I would use one would be to set up a capture card and record tv, but then that seems pointless as I get a free multi-room dvr from Verizon that handles 3 shows at once ( 1 watch 2 record ).

so does anyone actually have a use for a media center or a home theater pc.

My Setup:

CPU: I7-3930k @ 4.5GHz | Cooling: Corsair H100 in PP /w NF-F12 | MOBO: Asus P9X79 WS LGA 2011 | RAM  32 GB Mushkin Redline @  2133  | GPU:  (2) Sapphire 7970 GHz 6G edition | Case:  NZXT Switch 810 | Storage: Raid 0: Mushkin ssd total 480 GB | PSU: XFX ProSeries 1250W

Displays: (3) Acer GD235HZbid (120 hz) with a Ergotech Triple Monitor ArmStand /w telescoping wings | Keyboard: Xarmor black backlight mechanical with cherry blues | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD  | Sound: Logitech 5.1 Z-5500 and Astro A-40's

I am actually currently in the process of setting one up as we speak. I have the system put together in my basement but haven't run wires up to the tv above or figured out exactly what programs I am going to use.

I have gone back and fourth with whether I would do it or not and just said what the hell why not. Time will tell how well it works out and how much I use it. Part of the problem I have with my "smart" tv is that while it can access files, the internet, etc. it is just too slow and clunky for me. I am currently in the process of recording and editing old home movies as well as scanning old family photos. The hope is to have easy quick access to the files on my server for family viewing in the living room. Hopping around from video to video on my TV is frustrating. I also hope to set up an emulator and play old games like super mario cart with my nephews, etc. I have even considered doing a little current gaming. I also want to be able to watch my ripped blu rays etc.

Basically it comes down to my "smart" tv being too slow with a crappy interface. There may be other alternatives out the to accomplish what I wish to do above but for the time being it is something to keep me occupied.

just out of curiosity what smart tv do you own ?

My Setup:

CPU: I7-3930k @ 4.5GHz | Cooling: Corsair H100 in PP /w NF-F12 | MOBO: Asus P9X79 WS LGA 2011 | RAM  32 GB Mushkin Redline @  2133  | GPU:  (2) Sapphire 7970 GHz 6G edition | Case:  NZXT Switch 810 | Storage: Raid 0: Mushkin ssd total 480 GB | PSU: XFX ProSeries 1250W

Displays: (3) Acer GD235HZbid (120 hz) with a Ergotech Triple Monitor ArmStand /w telescoping wings | Keyboard: Xarmor black backlight mechanical with cherry blues | Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD  | Sound: Logitech 5.1 Z-5500 and Astro A-40's

I built a Media PC out of extra parts around my house, They are every handy if you want to watch Videos at parties or as a radio when cleaning. Not to mention a game or two. It is always handy to have an extra PC somewhere in the house for certain situations. I would say as far as media PC's go, its more about personal preference if you want one or not.

Intel i5 3570k @ 4.0GHz | Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H | Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 2GB OC GHz Edition | Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz

just out of curiosity what smart tv do you own ?

I will have to check but I believe it is an LG LM7600 the 47" variant.

I've been thinking for a long time building media PC. Currently my tv and main PC is in a same room, and I watch movies and listen to music through that PC. What I look for media PC is silence, biggest reason I want one, is that it will be much more quieter than my main PC, and it will produce less heat (what helps during summers.) So it would be more pleasant for music and movie use.

The only reason I even have a media PC is because when my friend was moving I stole it out of his house (he let me take it, don't worry). It ending up only being used for streaming video and used mostly as a server. Don't build one unless you want a low powered sever.

If your a person like me and you have over 6TB of hardrive space full of movies then a Media PC is for you :) plus XBMC and PLEX are the boom, and you can buy a 4 channel DVR recorder mcard pci-e card and pay $2 for a Mcard with you local t.v. provider and get every channel that you would usually pay $120 for a month and only pay $10 a month :) o lots of savings and good investments oh yeah :P, That's why you would build a Media pc.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

If your a person like me and you have over 6TB of hardrive space full of movies then a Media PC is for you :) plus XBMC and PLEX are the boom' date=' and you can buy a 4 channel DVR recorder mcard pci-e card and pay $2 for a Mcard with you local t.v. provider and get every channel that you would usually pay $120 for a month and only pay $10 a month :) o lots of savings and good investments oh yeah :P, That's why you would build a Media pc.[/quote']

why would they rent you a card if your not paying for the tv programming?

My Setup:

Having a Media PC is amazing because there isn't as many issues with the software. I've had a Networking Media Player from Sony but there would always be a point where what I could do was so limited because of the software. In some cases the codec or format wasn't supported. I won't have to worry about what formats I use to play my content and I know I can upgrade if I really need to with my media PC.

while there are many great options to stream content from another place to your TV or have a smartTV or a roku type box, nothing beats having a pc directly connected to a TV and using a wireless keyboard with a built-in trackpad! There will always some limitation to a smartTV whereas if with a mediaPC you do whatever you want with it because its still a computer!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Because you get to have a pc in your living room!

Is it just me or does that sound awesome?

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

If your a person like me and you have over 6TB of hardrive space full of movies then a Media PC is for you :) plus XBMC and PLEX are the boom' date=' and you can buy a 4 channel DVR recorder mcard pci-e card and pay $2 for a Mcard with you local t.v. provider and get every channel that you would usually pay $120 for a month and only pay $10 a month :) o lots of savings and good investments oh yeah :P, That's why you would build a Media pc.[/quote']

why would they rent you a card if your not paying for the tv programming?

You are paying for the T.V programing, instead of your cable provider giving you a set top box or a DVR, they just give you a Mcard, and instead of paying $120 a month for all the channels you only pay $10 a month for all the same channels.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I'd build one and plan on building one for my new house so it can stream both audio and video throughout the house when there are parties and stuff. It'd have to have some decent audio routing outputs though..